what's your Shuttle attitude?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dunamis, Jun 26, 2008.

What's your opinion on the Shuttle?

Poll closed Jul 1, 2008.
  1. The best! Anyone not using it is either a fool or hasn't tried one yet.

36 vote(s)
    35.3%
  2. Good but not great. Better options abound.

22 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. Meh... not really my flavor. Hasn't lived up to all of the hype.

9 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Not good. If I was given one, I'd still use something else.

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. What's a Shuttle?

32 vote(s)
    31.4%
  1. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    With the many, MANY, MANY Shuttle threads lately, I think everything's been said that can be said. I wonder-- what's the collective conclusion now that it's all been said (over and over again) and folks have had time to try one out?

2. I have one and love it.

Many others here, including illustrious names like KJung, don't like it. That's cool with me; I tried the F-1 with my cab (AE410) and really preferred the sound of the Shuttle. Lots of people don't like Reverends either and probably think I'm crazy to play them as much as my Sadowskys. I'm not too worried about it.

It sounds great (to me) in the band situation I'm in, in the venues we play, with the gear I'm using. That's pretty much all that matters.

For the record, I haven't had any problems with having too little low end, but maybe that's because I'm using a good 410. It sounded fantastic last night at practice -- the band was really digging my tone.

3. musicelectronix

musicelectronix

Jul 8, 2007
    Hüstın, TX
    Lead Designer, Zeibek Boutique Pedals
    The lack of carrot option made me vote "what is shuttle?" :) and free bump

4. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    I finally got to play through one yesterday. It was plugged into a GB neo 210 cab with a passive Fender jazz 4 string. I've got to be honest....I LOVED THE SOUND....it was clean and crisp, clear....clear....clear, just what I like. Every note rang through like a bell. Like I said I've got to be honest, the down side of it for me....I kept sitting there thinking this is 600 watts???? Maybe it was because it was only plugged into a 210, but I can say this, my old GK 800 is 300 watts and feels twice as loud and powerful as this 600 watt head did.
    The store I was in told me they have a GB 212 neo coming soon. There going to let me take a 6.0 and the 212 neo on a job. That'll tell me yea or nay!

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    love mine!

packs a terrific relaxed or aggressive tubey flavor in a unit that doesnt weigh down the front pocket of my gig bag, carries a nice semi parametric EQ, has a handy headphone out, AND doesnt necessarily cost an arm and a leg.

and so far, its taken a ton of my abuse, and is still kickin'.

sure, its not necessarily perfect, but its got more than enough going for it, IMO.

6. Just to be clear... 'not personally liking' is very different from 'not good':). It's a great little box IMO.

7. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I love mine too! Still haven't found a gig bag that will accept the 6.0 head in the front pocket....whatchu got?

8. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Its my main gigging amp now. I use it and my REDDI or just the DI out of the shuttle 85% of the time and im done.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    +1 to that Bart.

I generally don't dig anything bass related with a tube in it for live applications. But I thought your rig sounded killer at our last GTG, plain and simple. I wish I had tried the F1 into your cab instead of into mine, which made for an apples-to-oranges comparison at best. I am pretty sure I could gig perfectly happy with either one of those, or the LM2 that I tried at the previous GTG. Sweet times for bass players, no doubt.:bassist:

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    undercover, which are THE BOMBS.

11. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I like my shuttle alot, but I'm pretty sure the LMII is louder. I had my shuttle's master vol. at 11:00, gain at noon and gain vol. control maxed. On my LMII I'd rarely get past 10:00. 1212R was the cab.

12. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2000
    Palm Coast, FL
    I voted for "What's a Shuttle?" even though I have a 6.0 and LOVE it. In terms of sound, I like my Glock HeartCore better.... in terms of gigging the Shuttle is a much better for an aging f**t like me! Great tone, lots of power, really light, small package - what's not for me to like.

There are so many great choices now I would never say an amp is the "best." Others like Markbass... they don't do it for me, YMMV!

Dan K.

13. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Your options are pretty heavily biased ... If there were an option that said "It's a great amp, and I love it, but realize that others may love other amps just as much" I would choose that.

The way you have the options worded, the only way to say that the Shuttle is great is to also bash all other amps and call other players who disagree fools. Why? :rollno:

14. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I couldn't find an option for "I'm sure it's great, but I have a NeoPak and hardly ever need a lightweight amp anyway so I haven't bothered to check them out."

15. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I have one, I like it... I have Aguilar DB680/728 I like it also. My point is that if you accept the amp for what it is it is a great amp. The hype built around the amp and the expectation for it to be the holy grail of tone have left many wanting for more.

IMO/IME, the Shuttle has a "generic" hifi tone. The tonal character of the amp is not as distinct as an Ampeg SVT or an Eden. What is provides you is a good clean tone with good EQ and many ins and outs in a small package. Ther are few options on the market that do this well.

While it doesn't have the sound you know or identify with a brand, it is really affected by the speaker cab of choice more than any amp I have ever own. Once again, because it doesn't have a distinct sound.

This amp is not replacing my aggie rig or my demeter/accugroove rig, but for what it delivers in a small package, it delivers BIG.

I've used it on a few gigs and notice the onboard controls on your bass are a big part of shaping your tone and probably require more use than you would with your standard amp. That being said it still has good eq controls. If something happened to mine, I would probably replace it with another.

16. Tom Howland

Tom Howland

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

I own a 3.0T combo, with 1x10 extension cab.
    So, I'm playing through two 1x10 cabs.

I've not played the 6.0. ( I've hear great things)

I bought the 3.0 because I only needed 300 watts.

But the tone, and total volume of my rig.
    Is not to my liking.

And at a $1200.00 investment.
    I'm not a happy camper?

17. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    +1

18. psycholalia

psycholalia

Nov 29, 2007
    Seattle WA
    For live sound, I like my 6.0 alright. Paired with an Ampeg 410 at 8 ohms, it seems to lose a bit of kick at around 6 feet (but that may be my eq-ing). The fact that I can put it in the side pocket of my pedal bag to have an easily portable 410 rig is wuhuhuhnderful.

However, I think if I were tracking in a studio with it, I would want to use something else; something warmer. But that is my own row to hoe.

19. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Dude, it's just a poll...:rolleyes:

20. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    You're not amused then?