1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

When did "Short Scale Shaming" become 'a thing'???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by diegom, Oct 1, 2018.

1. diegom

diegom

Jun 18, 2008
    Jack Bruce,
    Felix Pappalardi,
    Paul Mc Cartney,
    Bill Wyman,
    Ron Wood.

Of the top of my head, I can think of these electric bass guitar pioneers, their solid and often very melodic lines, and the fact that their instrument of choice was a short-scale bass.

When did it become a 'problem' to play short-scale?

Just throwing it out there for discussion...

Diego

2. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Huh?

Badwater, GregC, Ken J and 25 others like this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Who is shaming? Haven't seen that.

Play what you want to play. Music, instruments, rigs, whatever...as long as no one gets hurt, it's all good! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  4. diegom

diegom

Jun 18, 2008
    This was inspired by an earlier post, asking if it is "wrong" to play a short-scale...
    Why would anyone be made to feel that way???

Dee-man, hintz and Old Garage-Bander like this.
  5. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    It's not...

6. creaturegods

creaturegods

Sep 23, 2017
    definitely not "a thing."

Mister Boh, zontar, Marihino and 3 others like this.
  7. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Drugs are bad for you. Just sayin'

Badwater, GregC, Ken J and 11 others like this.
  8. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    I don't think it was a "thing" until you made it into a thing by starting this thread. ;)

GregC, Ken J, tekhedd and 23 others like this.
  9. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Northeast OH
    Oh, I suppose that through the years there's been the occasional turd-bag that might have said something stupid about short-scale basses. One or two idiots having an opinion doesn't make it "a thing".

10. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    ^^^ what he said

But perhaps Mr. Mackey said it best

11. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Some people think it’s wrong to wear sndals with socks, some people think it’s wrong if you put ketchup on a hot dog, and some people think it’s wrong letting your kids ride in the back of your pickup truck.
    Hey, if you’re comfortable with a short-scale bass or even one of those tiny hilarious-looking uke basses, just do you!

12. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    don't go there...

Ross W. Lovell, GregC, Ken J and 25 others like this.
  13. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It's not a thing. Nobody thinks about it at all. We're the only bass dorks on Earth. Nobody else cares what you play.

14. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    There have been alot of short scale basses come into the marketplace recently that have enjoyed success. New mustangs, serek basses, supro, to name a few. People seem to rave about them. I dont think they are great for slapping, but who cares? What I am willing to shame is the recent popularity of the JMJ Roadworn Mustang. Mustangs have been around forever, and the Japanese ones are fantastic. I have seen JMJ live many times, and have never seen him perform with one (I've only seen him perform with standard scale: Thunderbirds, Jazzes, and Jaguars). My guess, is that it is found in his recording arsenal. When I a/b'ed the JMJ with a standard Mustang, I didnt really notice a difference in tone or playability other than the worn in feel. The PJ equipped Mustang is a much better sounding bass to my ears. I'm a Fender fan boy, but I don't really understand why a paint job distinguishes a bass as being "signature", and I'm kind of over that signature model marketing. I mean, most signature models are born out of the artists popularity rather than the instrument itself. For example: Geddy Lee bought his black jazz at a pawn shop for 200$, there is nothing that special about it, other than Geddy bought a production model that turned out to be good. Other than these petty qualms, there is nothing wrong with short scale, just more tubbiness.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  15. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Sees like about 55 minutes ago.

Need Gigs, gebass6, Plake and 2 others like this.
  16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's a macho thing. It's the same attitude that someone who drives a giant pickup truck has (not all of them, just the ones that use their trucks as an important element of their self worth.)

EatS1stBassist, blubass, KJMO and 4 others like this.
  17. saabfender

saabfender SUSPENDED

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    “I play the largest guitar on stage! All genuflect before me or feel my wrath!!”

Felt like it had to be said.

18. It was only a thing while that post is still active. A week or so from now, 'short-scale shaming' will vanish as well.

gebass6 and diegom like this.
  19. diegom

diegom

Jun 18, 2008
    But, what's the best short-scale for METAL???!??

20. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    Come on man, it's definitely wrong to wear sandals with socks, specially onstage