1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

when is it "enough"?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JES, May 5, 2006.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

So I find myself lusting after a new bass. But I wonder, at a certain point, don't you reach a point of having enough basses? I'm a player, not a collector, so it's presumably about adding functionality, but still. I'm traveling a lot this month, so I'm waiting to buy until I'm home and can play it. In the meantime, I remain in lust with it but still wonder. Money's not the issue. It's just -- isn't there a point where GAS gets a little silly if you never sell stuff off?

--JES

2. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2002
    Delaware, USA
    As time progresses, as we delve in to new musical styles and as new technologies hit the market, the desire to own new gear will always appeal to us while we're still in any kind of liberal mindset. For most of us, there is no one perfect bass, so we buy different basses for the qualities they excel in.

I, personally, am getting to the point where I don't really want any more electrics, save for a fretless, which I will get some day. I have a lakland 5 string and a P-bass, and they do everything that I need them to and more. The p bass nails the vintage fender tone for me, and the tighter strings on the lakland (longer scale length + through-body) cover all the sonic territory that I need. There is so much left for me to explore on these two basses that I feel like I could spend the rest of my life finding new ways to play them!

However, I do have the desire to upgrade the basses that I have. A jazz pickup in the bridge position on the fender would be nice, and i'm thinking of replacing the bartolini preamp with a sadowsky, filling the leftover pot with a tone control.

So, I guess, my point is, if your GAS is starting to make you a little queasy, try new things with what you have already.

3. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Never..

Sold my Jazz to get a Pbass sold my Pbass to get a stingray. Next I want to keep my stingray and get a jazz... But then I want two of em.. One in white with red shell pickguard and one in pinkish red with black pickguard. Oh what the hell I want a sunburst stringray too, why not throw in a bongo too?

Thing is Im NEVER happy. I guess most bass players are like that. I just wish I can keep my stingray for 20+ years when I get it.

4. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder/Owner: Wing Instruments
    It never ends. GAS... You can't stop it, you can only hope to contain it.

5. 3NotesAbar

3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    Singapore
    IMO, GAS is a form of education in itself. Its necessary in a way to attain practical experience. I know i don't play air-bass (at least not much heh)...:eyebrow:

6. jwl

jwl

Jan 25, 2005
    you can never have too many basses, or guitars. period. jeff

7. the point were you are broke, that's when you are done buying basses

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'm done buying basses. I own 6. I don't have every bass I want, but I have every bass I'll ever need. Quite honestly, I think if I sold all my basses but one, I'd still work just as much as I always have. I think owning tons of basses is OK if that's what you want, but certainly it's not necessary to maintain a career.

9. I can just see the meetings now...

(Me) "I'm Crazyeelboy, and I'm a bassplayer.
    (all in unison) "Hi Crazyeelboy."
    (Me) "It all started with a Kiss album and a $25 no-name bass...I just can't stop myself with new basses and don't even get me started on the effects."

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep, I have to admit buying new gear is half the fun for me.

11. your going to bassplayers anonymous and using your internet name?

12. Rocknrolljunkie

Rocknrolljunkie

Jan 29, 2006
    hmm.. i own 2 cheap basses an i'm gassing for alot other cheap basses. i just cant affort a more expensive bass now...but i'm scared for the moment the gas for more expensive basses come... you can never have enough basses. period. i've had several moments i had trouble paying my house rent due buying new gear. i get stress every time but what the hell

13. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Let's hope for his sake it's not his real name.

Re basses and GAS, I think I've reached that equilibrium point with my collection at the moment; there's nothing tonally I need that I don't have or can't get close enough too. There are a number that I don't think I'll ever sell because I love the way they feel and sound, but there are also a number that I've bought as 'fun'. These basses are usually a bit unusual or they appeal to me in some way. None cost much, and they all play well and sound good and even if they were never played again and hung on the wall as decoration only (not likely), then I'd still have got my money's worth. Y' can't play a painting....

14. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Other than having some mods done to my bass last year, haven't bought a new piece of bass gear in at least 3 years. Money is not an issue--it's just that I'm very monogamous with gear, and I never buy anything I don't need. I buy the best I can afford, and keep it until it breaks or no longer meets my needs. I get no more thrill from buying a new piece of gear than I would buying lightbulbs. I guess I'm just lucky. :cool:

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I haven't really bought much of anything, or had any real gas for new gear in quite some time. I have one, and only one bass, one head, and one cap.....and I gig several times a month. Never really been any kind of problems.

16. I can't see myself owning more than 2 serious basses at a time. I own two now (my first bass, and an Ibanez) and i'll probably defret my first bass, sell the ibanez and get a stingray/jazz bass. That'd do me for as long as I can see.

17. Is there really a bassplayer's anonymous? And, ain't it even more anonymous to use a virtual name?

18. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Here are some lyrics from Queensryche latest album, Operation: Mindcrime II (they reflect my state too, and I gotta stop):

I can't stop! I feel I gotta have more,
    That's right, more!
    I want more, more!

Because I'm free,
    I deserve everything I can get.
    I'm American.
    I'm American.

Are you free?
    You deserve everything you can get.
    I'm American.
    I'm American.

Yeah I'm free.

19. It's like a disease! I own seven basses and would buy another in a heartbeat, if I found one I liked and wanted! I have never sold off a single bass-I still have the first cheapo p.o.s. I ever owned. Therefore I would have to say that in my humble opinion, you can never have enough (too many?).:bassist: :bassist: :D

20. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Does anyone else see the comparison with women who can't have enough shoes or clothes or makeup?