1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When tattoos make you look ridiculous

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crow01, Sep 19, 2008.

1. crow01

crow01

Sep 1, 2008
    chicago
    I don't have tattoos...yet.

I was watching the movie The Promotion, (spoiler alert). In one of the scenes, there is some kind of company retreat. They make a circle and make them put a paper bag on their heads.

Then the host says remove something you don't need. So everybody removes the bag but 1 of the guys. Instead he starts taking off his clothes one by one, until is time for his shirt.

He takes off his shirt and there is a big tattoo of Kiss, right on his chest. Everybody starts laughing. Apparently they guy had his Harley days.

So I ask, anybody out there that works in an office (clarify, not a music job or being a musician per se), a doctor, a lawyer, a teacher, etc, any "office" job, that feels awkward by having a tattoo.

I was thinking of getting a tattoo, but at some point I don't want a tattoo crawling out my shirt during a presentation. Would people think hey he is the cool guy, or hey stay away from that guy.

I know it's all stereotypes. Like during my high school years, only cause I liked marilyn manson, people thought I did drugs. I didnt, I just liked the music.

What do you think people you work with, say of your tattoos:

a) You don't care what they say.
    b) People think you are cool...including your boss
    c) People think you are shady, and they try to stay away from you

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Like 'em or not, stereotypes are ubiquitous. Tattoos will affect your ability to either get jobs or advance in jobs in many cases, especially the most desirable jobs. While they have gained greater acceptance in recent years, there are still many of us old farts out here that see them as an emblem of lower social status. While they don't automatically mean you are lower than someone else on the social ladder, it's something you share in common with every prisoner, biker and gang banger. That's an association I prefer not to have made about me. I knew that even when I was a Marine, drunk, downtown, with my buddies who were all getting tattoos.

In my company, I don't care if people have tattoos as long as they're not a distraction. For instance, I wouldn't have a front-desk receptionist who had full sleeves sitting there in a tank top. The tats would have to be covered.

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    I certailny do not understand neck tattoos.

All of mine are for deep personal reasons and I am happy to explain each one. They are also coverable so that a dress shirt or polo will allow me to appear professional.

...except for my organ donor tattoo on my forearm. That is there to spark conversation and possibly save lives :)

4. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Do you have a pic of that one?

5. skiscem

skiscem Supporting Member

that why all my tattoos dont show when im wearing a t-shirt and pants, i can show them when i want to and hide them when i dont-can
    and i have 8

6. Croox

Croox

Sep 16, 2007
    South Side Chicago
    +1 on all of this. I'm 25 and I've got a buddy for the life of him cant get a job because he has one full sleeve and doesn't want to wear long sleeve shirts to cover it up. I've got 4 different tattoos, but as long as I'm wearing a short sleeve shirt, you cant see any of them. I work at a Harley dealer so I cant say much since pretty much everyone here has ink.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Think about Carly Smithson. How do you think that sleeve would affect her ability to get a role on Broadway, if she wanted to? She could be the most talented singer and actress on the scene, but the producers are going to have to deal with a big ol' tattoo that probably isn't going to fit many characters. While it's one of the nicest-looking tattoos I've seen, I think it's going to be an impediment to her opportunities.

[​IMG]

8. Moreau

Moreau

Jan 3, 2006
    Canada
    My best friend is a heavily tattooed school teacher. He goes to shows all over the world, won multiple awards for best tattoo's and even a bit of a spread in tattoo international. He's away travelling to Europe, South Africa and Peru in the next few months, and I wish him well. Tattoo's are also alot more acceptable, when the art in them is amazing, and not lame-o jail tattoos. But yeah unfortunately they impede progress in the white collar world.

9. mimaz

mimaz

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Carly is a beautiful girl, but I agree, that tattoo could definately limit her potential opportunities. I don't necessarily mind tattoos on ladies, but I think I would prefer to see her without, or at least with something that's not so overpowering.

10. Lon86

Lon86

Jan 21, 2008
    Venice, CA
    I have a big bass clef on my left shoulder...

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I got a 1:1 scale tattoo of Munji. It only came up to my chest so it looked pretty ridiculous.

12. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    As a 45 year old with no tats, I'm oddly relieved I won't be around to see most of the youger generation's body art age along with them; it won't be pretty.

13. I never imagined it possible, but I am one of the only people I know in my age rage (mid 20's) with zero tats, and zero intention of getting one. Maybe "allergic to pennicillin" on my chest, because I always lose those damn medic alert bracelets and necklaces...

14. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    I have 4 tats on my upper arms which can be covered by a t shirt, although one does sneak out a little bit which I like. I've never had an adverse comment, in fact most people are interested in the designs and where they come from. So many people have tats these days that I don't think they have the stigma they once did. However, there are still those who are so narrow minded that they take fright or a jaundiced position, but if they want to avoid me because of my body art rather than try and get to know me, fine there are plenty of other people I'd rather mix with.

I once heard a quote that, after finishing his work on a customer, a tattooist/piercer said "one more of us, one less of them", I like that.

15. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I have two full sleeves, a full backpiece, a chest piece, and both my calves/shins tattooed, but can cover it all in the work place. I have a high paying, cushy government job and for all most people know, I don't have any tattoos. As long as you aren't tattooing your face, hands, or neck in most high level job positions, you'll be fine.

16. magickbass

magickbass Guest

May 24, 2008
    I have 3 tattoos, all are covered when I put on a dress shirt. However, the one on my right forearm does tend to show through when I wear white shirts that are made of a thinner blends of cotton. A decent poplin will keep it hidden though.

17. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    Not necessarily. Money talks. If the producer/director of a show believes that having her in a show will actually draw in a bigger, younger audience and make the show more of a financial success, they'll do it.

It helps that she can sing, too.

18. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    +1. Ewan McGregor has a very large tat on one of his arms and it's never hurt his earning potential, you never see it in any of his movies. Ah the miracle that is the make up dept. I don't think Ms Smithson will have any trouble either.

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    It'd look a lot better on your forehead.