1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When tattoos make you look ridiculous

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crow01, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, I was thinking they could put a flesh-colored sleeve over it, or heavy makeup.

2. Hang in there, Munji. You've been dead-on up to this point.

Ewan McGregor is an extreme example because he already has made it. The coments to the effect of "It doesn't matter if you're really talented" and "It doesn't matter if you bring in the money" may sound good without thought or analysis. They may even have an oblique angle of truth to them; but they apply to very few people and situations. Most of us are hired, promoted and selected for most everything else in life through some sort of selection process that compares us to others. And rightfully or wrongfully, as Munji said, stereotypes are ubiquitous.

As Miss Smithson tries to make it, who knows how many promotors, producers, etc. she will encounter who don't have the capability (costume options, effective make-up, etc.) of covering her tattoo or the inclination to do so. And what about the reaction of potential significant others in the future? Not everyone is into body art or permamnent mutilation.

Most importantnly, the proliferation of tattoos we see today is based on current fashionability. Nothing is more fickle or unpredictable--other than the prediction that it WILL change. In this region, clinics offering laser tattoo removal are booming while some tattoo parlors are closing.

How many people have chosen to keep their mullet haircuts?

Just my $02.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I thought I was the only one who called tattoos mutilation.

We lost the last one here recently.

4. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Several years back, my sister-in-law got a small rose tattooed on her forearm. Nothing gaudy. She's now a clinical psychologist, and regrets getting the tat. She feels she loses credibility with her patients if they see a tat on her arm. So she always has to wear long sleeves when working.

5. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    I'll sidestep your snide "without thought or analysis" comment, perhaps others just have a different perspective of the world.

Anyway, to respond:

The important question here is selected based on what criteria?

Unless you actually believe that 99% of all pop/rock music out there is "successful" because they are legitimately "good" or "talented", chances are that there are other factors at play here, like marketability. Marketability and image. Sprinkle in some talent if there is any to spare (the more the better, of course.) Again, money talks. Do you actually think that bands like Good Charlotte or Simple Plan have any legitimate musical merit to speak of that makes them so popular? What will their "musical" legacy be?

And who would've thought that a bunch of gun-toting thugs with a bare minimum understanding of the English language and making non-sensible and meaningless "music" could be making millions and millions of dollars off their "records"?

Yeah, and chances are that, Ms. Smithson won't want to be with someone who doesn't appreciate body art. Remember that she, as an independent agent with freedom of choice, also has the option to choose/approve her potential partner.

I guess if you ignore the fact that tattoos have been around for almost as long as human history (and that's written history, so actual history is probably even longer) and well proliferated and established in other (i.e. non-European-North American) cultures for millennia, then yes, it's a trendy thing.

6. Where to begin...!?
    No, the important question here is "selected for what"? The answer to that question determines the selection criteria.

You spent most of your words answering (or editorializing on) a question the OP didn't ask. Go back and read the instructions.

Of course, there have been tattoos and other forms of body art for centuries. There is still chanting and cannabilism, too.

Of course, Ms. Smithson is an independent agent with freedom of choice. So is the OP and that's why he asked for opinions.

Of course, money talks. But, to the OP's point, tattoos cause money to talk in only a handful of cases. They may give rise to unfortunate stereotypes, however, in millions of situations.

Of course, marketability often plays an important role in popular music success. But that's the selection process the OP expressly excluded.

I don't necessarily dislike tattoos. I'm not criticizing people who have them or choose to get them.

I simply responded to the OP's inquiry, as a long-experienced office professional and part-time bass player, and I stand by my comments. The OP wasn't asking how to look like the next Axl Rose or Steve Harris. He's obviously intelligent enough to figure that out. He was asking a question from the real world. Join him.

Bluesy Soul :cool:

7. OXploiter

OXploiter

Aug 1, 2006
    Well, now, it's not that I wasn't in the real world, wherever that may be for you, but it certainly does seem like the topic was "derailed" into a slightly different context.

If you see my first comment in this thread, you'll know what my context was. I was simply responding to Munjibunga's comment *specifically* about the lady singer. You responded to *my* comments *about* the lady singer. Even your response was heavily invested in the entertainment industry, so naturally, I figured that we were now both talking about, say, the entertainment industry?? :eyebrow:

In any case, the confusion is over - you've snapped back on-topic in your last response, so there's no need to continue now, as we actually don't disagree per se... we were just working with two different contexts. :smug:

8. Joel S.

Joel S. Reserved for future witty use...

Jul 9, 2008
    Basic "rule of thumb," if you expect to get a job in an office environment but want a tattoo, make sure you get it somewhere where it's easy to conceal.

An employee of our's used to be an office manager at a decent sized law firm. When I first met her she was dressed down and has tats like crazy, including one on the back of her neck. When I saw her the next day in her work clothes, they were all covered and she had her hair down.

I have a tattoo, pretty large one actually, on my shoulder, but unless I brought it up or showed you, you'd never know.

9. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Small world.. I know the guy who owns that website.. lol

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Even in my proffession (musician), I still find excessive tattoos to be a bit of a detriment when trying to get a job. I don't have any tats, but I have known other musicians who couldn't get a particular gig because of their ridiculous tattoos.

I'm all for self-expression, and I like a lot of tattoos that I've seen. However, if you're getting just because, with no forethought, then you deserve what you get.

The current trend of getting tats will fade, but the tattoos won't. I've always seen the idea of getting a tattoo because it's fashionable is tantamount to having a polyester leisure suit sewn into your skin. Who wears those things now, except for Halloween? I imagine that tattoos may carry that same sort of stigma in the future as well.

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    l_b1fc1244f5cec60ea68d1a5a6f028cea.

12. I'm pretty sure he isn't going to get a job at a daycare.

13. TiaBliaj

TiaBliaj

Sep 15, 2008
    thats h0t...

n0t.

14. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California

heh, I was waiting for that one!

15. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    I've never had a tattoo...and I never will. To each his own, but to me tattoos have always seemed kind of seedy and tacky. Not my kind of thing at all... :rollno:

MM

16. troyus

troyus

Apr 9, 2008
    San Diego, CA.
    Maybe in a KKK commune? :p

17. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I find myself trying to explain this to my 19 year old daughter who aspires to be a pro dancer. She has already been on a pro tour, and apparently, she was the only one without a tat. But, I gotta believe a tat in the wrong place is a big mistake at audition time.

If I ever got a tat, it would Have to be in a concealed location.

18. spunj13

spunj13

May 14, 2007
    niles, mi
    hmm....

this seems like something i should weigh in with my 2 cents on.

i have four tattoos (with plans for many more) and gauged ears as well (1 inch). my tattoo plans are to keep them where they can always be covered up (though i must admit i've been looking into blacklight reactive inks for my hands, which are supposed to be invisible once they heal)

my fiance has a tattoo on her lower neck (back) one on her left arm and a half sleeve on her right arm. she has had no problem getting work. i, on the other hand have had MUCH more problems with getting work because of my ears. i have two college degrees and she has none, yet i have a terrible time finding work.

i knew that this would come with the territory though. if you plan to have a job that will not allow you to have tattoos, you have two options.
    1. don't get tattoos...
    2. find another dream/job.

i have two jobs now...
    i freelance graphic design (and photography when it comes up... as those are my two degrees)
    and i play in a band (and we're trying to make this a full time thing)

i suppose it all comes down to a matter of whether or not you are willing to deal with the consequences of having a tattoo .... or multiple tattoos...

p.s. i find myself moderately offended to the use of the term "mutilation" as that seems both overdone and rather condescending to those of us who HAVE chosen this lifestyle. i view this part of my lifestyle as more of a self-decoration.

[spunj13]

19. "p.s. i find myself moderately offended to the use of the term "mutilation" as that seems both overdone and rather condescending to those of us who HAVE chosen this lifestyle. i view this part of my lifestyle as more of a self-decoration."

+ 1. I concur, on all accounts.

Both of my hands are tattooed. I got them at the beginning of the year and I am 35. It has not changed how my fellow workers view me at all. I realised when making the final decision to get them that any job I have had in the past 12 years I would of still had regardless of my tattoos and I dont see the type of work I choose to do ever changing. I have been wanting my hands inked for 10 years, so it was not a spontaneous decision. No regrets.

20. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    It sounds like you think there's some kind of benefit to your tattoos and ear mutilation since you describe it as a "lifestyle." What does your lifestyle do for you? Self-decoration? What advantage does this "decoration" provide for you? The vast majority of people find it unattractive, and the types of people who find it attractive probably aren't really going to be in a position to improve your life. It's almost as though you're sentencing yourself to a life of extremely limited opportunities. Why?

Don't give me your standard defense response. How about digging down a little deeper and finding what it was in your early life that caused you to need body modification and tattoos to boost your self-image?