1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When tattoos make you look ridiculous

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crow01, Sep 19, 2008.

1. I have one tattoo on my chest, it's not outrageous and it's easily concealable, unless I get a job where I have to get my kit off regularly.

Edit: In response to your last post Munji, there are more reasons to getting a tattoo than just self-decoration or lifestyle choice. For instance my tattoo was of something I loved and I wanted to have that love immortalized. I think the desire to have something that means a lot to you is a far deeper reason for getting a tattoo. Sometimes it's not about advantages and disadvantages either, sometimes it's just about doing what feels right to you regardless of how other people think or react.
    You also said that people who find a tattoo attractive are not going to be the kinds of people who will improve your life. I strongly disagree, I've known people why have found my tattoo attractive and who have helped me in many many ways. They have tattoos as well, and don't do anything that wouldn't expect a non-inked person to do.
    Forgive me, but I sort of get the feeling that you're stereotyping people with tattoos as being non desirable people or even delinquent. The truth is, a tattoo doesn't change you as a person and it's not a symbol of delinquency.

Also, as I side note, I recently had a job interview at a music store and showed them my tattoo of a bass clef. They reacted with smiles and complements, I got the job but had to turn it down in the end, though I think the tattoo even helped.

2. +1 to f'nar f'nar.

People have been tattooing themselves for thousands of years for as many different reasons. I would hardly call that a "trend".

There is some ignorance here with regard to understanding the TYPES of people who get tattooed. I don't say "ignorance" with any intended disrespect, btw. There are just some people who simply don't understand.

You can't seriously ask someone what a tattoo has done for them, any more than you can ask what playing bass alone in their bedroom has done for them. People do what they love...period. As far as I'm concerned, ALL of it is art. Some people collect CDs or basses. Some people collect paintings, and some people collect tattoos. There are so many different mediums with which art is created.

Whether you like a person's tattoos (art) or not, you should not disrespect them and their choice to collect it.

I have a half sleeve. I get complinents on it left and right by people who might even surprise some of the more conservative types here. I am currently in school to become a court reporter. When I finish school, I will be working with attorneys and judges (many of whom have tattoos of their own). With all that said, I will be covering it up while in the courtroom or on depos. I have no problem with that. Surprise! A person with tattoos CAN actually be professional. :smug: Its really not that hard to do if you plan your placement responsibly.

3. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    Its been said already, but public skin tattoos WILL seriously affect your employability. I just got my latest tattoo today and since I want to do "professional" level work, I've looked into what I can and can't do. I'd like to have full sleeves, but because of the work I want to do, I can't tattoo below the t-shirt line, so I don't. Theres a distinct difference between the "I'm a teenager rebelling" tattoo, which is usually picked out of a book in the tattoo parlour, and the tattoos with some sort of meaning.

My first tattoo was done after one of my best mates died in a car crash, it was a sketch she did for me before she died and I never want to forget that. Some will say to just get the picture framed, but we all have our own ways of dealing with things and our own forms of expression. No one can ever tell me that tattoo doesn't mean something, nor will I ever regret doing something in memory of a dear friend.

As for the tattoos being a form of mutilation, yes they are, so I'm gonna be damned sure if I'm permanently scarring my body, which is essentially what I'm doing, that I'm going to a) a reputable tattooist and b) getting a design which isn't so fickle and meaningless that I'll regret it.

I'm guessing a lot of the "anti-tattoo" brigade are older guys? It might be difficult for you, but I most definitely appreciate tattooing as an art form, which when done with thought and skill can look fantastic.

4. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    I was 40 when I got my first tat and did the design myself (as with most of the work I've had done). It seems that the anti tattoo lobby (for want of a better word) tend to be old of mind rather than of actual years. A well executed tat can be a thing of beauty.

We're supposed not to pre judge people on their ethnicity or religion, why not on their choice to decorate themselves too? As I said earlier, get to know me first and I'll do the same in return. In the words of Bill & Ted "Be excellent to each other":D

5. Better question is 'what tattoos don't make you look ridiculous?'.

MM

I'm in a band. Wow can I see your tattoo?
    I have a tattoo. Oh you must be in a band.

6. Like Munji I never cared for or got a tattoo even when I was drunk downtown with my Coastie buddies. I did wander into a parlor or two but never really found anything that I would want to have permanently embedded into my skin. I'm really glad now that I'm 50 that I didn't because I've put on a few pounds and I can't imagine what a big fat hula girl would look like dancing on my naval. Something I keep telling all my children who seem to love the darn things.
    To answer the OP do what you want just rememebr no matter how wrong or right it is... in the professional business world uncovered tatoos are for the most part a no-no. Secondly for the most part they are permanant so choose your markings carefully.

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You're probably right. I still say that the majority of people have a negative reaction to tattoos, as I do. Just knowing that is enough to keep me from ever getting one. It's a built-in limiter for life. I suppose if one's need to self-decorate exceeds his concern about societal reaction, then go for it, but know there is a price. As far as it being older folks, maybe so. Most employers are probably older folks. Most of them don't buy into the "art-form" gestalt.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't make any bones about the fact that I don't care for tattoos. My point is that most people are of that mind, and as much as you justify your tattoos, they are generally going to have a negative effect on your life, right or wrong. Many or most people who get tattoos get their first ones early in life, before they've had enough experience to consider how it will later affect them. Bottom line, I don't care at all whether you have tattoos or not. Ultimately, it's your problem. While I've stated before that many of my employees have them, they must not impact our business. If I think our clients could be repulsed by them, it will influence my decisions on how to deal with the employee.

9. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    As I said before, yes I see it as an art form, but my tattoos all have meaning to them as well. I'm also intelligent enough to not have any public skin tattooed. If you met me in the street, even if I was wearing a tshirt, you wouldn't know I was tattooed unless U showed you them. It depends what you want to do in life really, I know where I can tattoo and where I can't for my chosen field of work, some fields you can't be tattooed at all, some you can have full body tattoos.

And as for most employers not buying into the "art form gestalt", just because most people who are VERY anti-tattoo are older folks doesn't mean most older folks are anti-tattoo. It may be down to the company I keep, but very few people I know are incredibly against tattooing, in fact quite a few of my university lecturers are tattooed in one place or another, I would've never known only for I spoke personally with them and the topic came up. Its not like you're branding your head, a clever person can keep it so that you'll never know they're tattooed.

10. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    As to your point that tattoos WILL negatively affect your life, it really all depends on the nature of your tattoos and the nature of your work. If you're working as a tattooist, it doesn't really matter at all, if you're working in over 90% of jobs, a tattoo which isn't on "public skin" (i.e. the face, neck, hands and forearms) won't affect employability at all, the jobs where tattoos will always affect employability don't appeal to me, not because of this, they just don't.

I can very confidently say that having tattoos done tastefully will never affect my employability in my life, it will never affect my bond with my family and it will probably never affect romantic relationships in my future as I've always been attracted to people with similar opinions to me.

11. To all of the people that say they have had nothing but compliments on their tattoos:
    Do you really expect someone who doesn't like it to tell you they hate it or that you are an idoit when you show them? No, they wait until you leave to say all that. :bag:

12. I am 21 years old making over $31.40 per hour, I run a screen printing shop, and am attempting to open a music store in my community.

Its all in your head of how far you can go in life. If you have drive and ambition you can do anything.

I have tats ranging from japanese Onies to punk rock symbols.

They run from my chest to the middle of my forearms.

13. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    what's strange (funny, more accurately) about the whole current "tattoos are acceptable" thing is that many times the people getting them don't think about the fact that as they age, so will the tattoos.
    don't get me wrong. i've got three words tattooed on my wrist, and i love them. i can cover them if i have to, they're placed in such a way that many people don't even notice them, and they mean a lot to me.
    buuuuttt... every time i see a young lady with a tattoo on her hip, i wonder if she realizes what will happen to that tattoo should she ever get pregnant.
    case in point: my aunt got a tattoo of Woodstock, from Peanuts, on her hip. then she got pregnant. it now looks more like Big Bird.
    when selecting tattoos and tattoo placement, remember: Old Age happens to the best of us. plan ahead. those awesome chest pieces you see all the hip young chicks with will start to sag after the first child, and when they reach a certain age, the Sparrows on each breast signifying peace and tranquility will more resemble vultures. not cool.

14. I had this done (image below) around the end of May. I'm 48 years old. Never had a tatoo or any piercings before in my life. Don't intend to get anymore either.

I got this the same time as I got my upright bass. I was feeling how big a part of my life bass playing has become and will remain. I'll be learning things on the upright for the rest of my life. I see the tatoo as a very physical sign of a deep commitment (at least the bass won't divorce me!). Plus, I like the design in and of itself. It's non-threatening.

I was thinking of having it done in a more hidden place, even just the underside of my wrist. But then I thought, if I'm getting this why hide it? Besides, it's a simple elegant design that less than half the people know what it is. That creates some interesting conversations ("What does that symbol mean?" "Well, I could tell you, but then you'd have to become one of my wives." This, of course, with selected females only).

I work as a government employee and much of my time is spent in the rural community; farmers, landowners. I had a week off after I got it and got very paranoid. What have I done? What if my employers or the community I work within disapprove? (However, it is easily coverable with long sleeves or even a watch). I was quite worried. I was at the same time however steadfast in my beliefs of why I got it.

Now that a few months (in short sleeves and I don't wear a watch) have passed I'm happy to report that there have been no unwanted repercussions. I've received many compliments, questions, raised people's curiosity (and fully acknowledge that disapprovers are likely to remain silent).

It's come to the point where I don't really think about it anymore until I am with a new group of people. But, I believe my sincerity and good naturedness quickly dispels any stereotyping that might be going on before people talk to me.

It makes me feel a little defiant. Perhaps that is some immature rebelliousness that remains.

I feel it also gives me something to live up to. ("Bass tat, eh? So, you must think you're good")

We'll see if the day comes I regret it but I don't think it will. Simple, attractive tats seem to be more and more acceptable these days.

Well, there's my little story.

Attached Files:

15. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California

got any pics of it?

16. The truth is, people who don't like it will either NOT say anything at all, or they will let you know they don't like it. Who cares if they don't like it anyway? I don't.

There are a lot of people who go out of their way to come up and compliment as well as ask if they can touch it and proceed to tell you how badly they want one but are "afraid" or don't have the b@lls.

Whether the anti-tattoo people here want to admit it or not, not everyone thinks the way you guys do. Saying things like "most people don't like them" is still a bit ignorant. Demographics and age come into play here. You may be representative of your particular demographic, but you may also be the minority. There is definately an old mentality going on here (as someone said, regardless of age). I also think there is a sort of small town, ideolgy showing itself. Times change.

I agree that it would be irresponsible to get tattoos in places you can't hide them when necessary. You're not going to walk into a courtroom shirtless and wearing flip-flops. You're going to present yourself in a professional way by covering "certain things" up. It's the same with tattoos.

17. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I don't give a crap what anybody thinks. I love my tattoos and have no regrets, nor will I ever regret them. To me, judging a person based solely on the fact that they have tattoos is the same as judging them by their race, religion or sex. It's a form of discrimination. Not all tattooed people are social deviants.

18. Contra(Band)

Contra(Band)

Apr 11, 2008
    That reasoning doesn't really work, as getting a tattoo is a conscious decision, whereas race and gender are unarguably not, and religion is usually based on upbringing, which still isn't quite the same.
    I think tattoos can be great works of art, but they can also be silly looking mistakes that will be regretted later in life. And the whole aging (or gaining/losing weight) thing will change how they look, and what once looked really cool could end up stretched, shrunk, warped, or wrinkled later in life.

I guess just be sure to put sufficient thought into design and placement.

19. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    "Your idea" of the most desirable jobs. Why would you limit yourself to being the cog in another man's wheel? Forge your own road and look and live the way you want. Worrying what other people might think is a very sad and limiting way to live your life. Seriously.

*jumps down off high horse*:p

20. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Oh yes it does, because it is a conscious decision to judge someone based on their looks or deeds. Not the other way around.:scowl::rollno: