1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When tattoos make you look ridiculous

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crow01, Sep 19, 2008.

1. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Are you suggesting that someone made the choice as to what their race or gender is? I have shoulder length hair (to the middle of my back, actually), but I wouldn't scream "dscrimination!" if it interfered with my employment. I've made a choice to have long hair.

KO

2. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've got a friend (singer/percussionist) who's 78 and is rinding his bicycle from Minneapolis to LA right now. I am doing everything in my power to ensure that I'm as fit at 78 as he is.

KO

3. ilikethump

ilikethump

Jun 17, 2008
    Interesting discussion from both viewpoints.

I have two. Both are of things that I want to remember. Both were thought about for a very long time. Both are concealable and most don't know I have them. I work a good salary job with strong benefits and lots of personal responsibility.

If it gets to the point that I need to get them removed to continue in life, I will. However, I don't think that any job that requires me to be topless will be a step up in terms of employment.

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I personally find gauged ears, piercing, etc way more offensive then tattoos. I hate to think how gauged ears, etc are going to look 20 - 40 years down the road.

5. eotpr

eotpr

Jun 25, 2007
  6. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland

Which echoes pretty much the only point everyone in the entire thread has agreed on. Tattoos on public skin will restrict and reduce your job opportunities.

7. lamonica78

lamonica78

Feb 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I have to respond to this ludicrous statement. The 'vast majority of people find this unattractive"....where do you get this from? Can you pull up some statistics from reputable scientific research to back up this bold statement? "People who find it attractive probably aren't really going to be in a position to improve your life"....again, what proof do you have?

"It's almost as though you're sentencing yourself to a life of extremely limited opportunities" Well, I can't speak for anyone else....but I have a tattoo (and plan on getting more)...hasn't impacted my life one bit. I possess a master's degree in psychology, work at the # 1 children's hospital in the country (where there are TONS of employees sporting tats), have a wonderful girlfriend whom also makes an excellent living, etc.

Instead of making bold and unfounded statements about things you clearly know little about, please educate yourself.

PS - wow...."How about digging down a little deeper and finding what it was in your early life that caused you to need body modification and tattoos to boost your self-image?" Who are YOU to judge why a person gets body mods or tats? My best friend has one as a tribute to his grandfather whom he was very close with....has absolutely nothing to do with him getting it because he had a rough childhood or has poor self image! Dude, seriously, stop dressing up your own ignorant and biased opinions as fact!

8. 20 years from now... the same maybe a little floppier than they used to be...

40 or more... Well, my ears will look like every old mans... droopy and nasty. Unless I've kept my piercings in all those years, in which case I'll be an old man with droopy earlobes with 1 inch holes in the middle. ;)

I find it no worse than all the old ladies I've seen with tiny little piercings that slice down their ear over the years because they are wearing jewelry that's way too heavy. Now THAT'S disgusting. Or how about all the girls out there that have had their ears pierced by :spit: piercing guns :spit: in a mall and ended up with that nasty little bubble on the backside of their piercings. Those are the piercing related things that I find disgusting.

But hey, to each their own I guess. :)

9. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    Thanks bud, somebody had to say it.

Tattooing is a very under appreciated art form

10. I've had a couple people tell me that they don't like my tattoos, but they ALL did say that if I'm happy with them, then thats all that matters.

11. Vynns

Vynns Guest

May 5, 2008
    Don't get me wrong, I like tattoo's, but scars are way cooler than tattoo's.

12. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Don't shoot the messenger, but the two psychiatrists I know have told me there is a correlation between poor self-image and having a tattoo; apparantly they see it with patients fairly often, and there IS some research done that supports this. I don't know enough people with tattoos to hold an opinion on this. I daresay the average tattooed TBer is more stable, educated and informed about the pros/cons of tattooing than the person-on-the-street.

An ex of mine had a couple of small tattoos, but they weren't visible normally and were quite 'cute' (for want of a better word). The thing I don't get - after seeing lots of ugly and / or unimaginative tattoos - is why some people march into a parlor and pick a design off the wall that thousands of other people already have. *Then*, to me, there is a negative association with lack of creativity, at the very least.

Tatts with personal meaning make the most sense to me, and if I was to get one (unlikely, I change my about things all the time and like being able to 'undo' things if possible :) ) it would be something that meant a lot to me AND that I had large say in designing.

13. lamonica78

lamonica78

Feb 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Being a research psychologist myself, let me tell you that given enough manipulation you can correlate just about anything with anything. Correlations are just that....relationships. A correlation does not infer causality though. I have no doubt that under very selective experimental conditions and demographics, you can absolutely say that those with poor self image are more likely to have a tattoo. With equally selective conditions and demographics, you can also say redheads with freckles are more likely to eat bacon cheeseburgers than blondes. Trust me, I've been doing research long enough to tell you that there are some really piss poor experimental designs out there that may work in strict experimental conditions, but have nothing to do with the real world at large. As for the two psychiatrists....well of course they're going to have that opinion....they are seeing the people who are most likely to have emotional and behavioral distress in the first place! Of course their opinions are going to be biased

But I digress :) Sorry, not trying to shoot the messenger, just trying opening up some friendly debate :)

14. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    My understanding is they have drawn this conclusion (yes, they both know each other) from their patients and other people who don't have tattoos who are NOT their patients.

Regardless, as someone has already said, if it makes YOU happy, then there is no problem. I certainly think it's fine to do whatever you want, as long as it doesn't impinge on the rights of others, and there's no way having any number of tatts can 'do' anything to other people, so go for it! :)

15. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    The end result of that body carving is quite visually pleasing ... but .... dayuummm!:eek:

16. PocketGroove82

PocketGroove82

Oct 18, 2006
    Chicago
    I just threw up a little.

17. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Where are the 'Bacon' club members when you really need them?:p

18. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    More like pork rinds. :D

19. 76Dub

76Dub Guest

Jul 9, 2008
    I as well as most of my friends have sleeves as well as full japanese body suits and we are all business owners, lawyers, doctors, etc. To each his own. If you don't like them...don't get them. It just makes me laugh to read some of the views that people have in 2008 as if we were living in 1958. I'm only 32 but what to I know. This whole thread just makes me laugh.:ninja:

20. hentor

hentor

Jan 2, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually I've found that those whom are vehemently opposed to your tattoos will make the comments to your face.

I have had a tattoo of a Native American pictograph on my left forearm for 16 years. I got it after working with the Hopi people in Arizona to mark the experiences and changes I went through. It is a simple tattoo but it is quite obvious on my left forearm. In professional situations, I usually wear long sleeves anyways.

After several months of long sleeves (sorry Canadian winters are cold) I was wearing a golf shirt at work when a woman I worked with said "oh you have a tattoo, too bad, I thought you were a smart person."

Recently I was at a family entertainer's convention and one of the Christian entertainers recognized the design on my arm and began making loud comments about the "evil" design on my arm.

On both occasions, I quietly explained what the tattoo came from and what it meant to me. I have several other tattoos, all normally covered by clothing, but I do show them to people who ask me about them. They each represent a part of my life that is important to me and reflect who I am.

My co-worker got over her prejudices and we continue to work closely together. The Christian entertainer was even more vehement in her protestations when the design and its reason for it was explained to her. You win some you lose some.