1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

When tattoos make you look ridiculous

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by crow01, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Yep I do, but I'm not interested in being judged or critiqued so I won't be posting any pics of it here. :cool:

2. I don't see why some people are so against tatoos. They are the choice of whoever has them, and how has someone else's tatoo ever affected your life? If you don't want one, fine, but don't judge others based on their appearance.
    Your appearance can not and does not define who you are, but you can set a new definition for the appearance. Some food for thought- the swastika used to be a symbol of good luck and happiness. Along came Hitler. Now what does it symbolize?

3. I am amazed that some people on here are so narrow minded about tattoos and the people that have them. That said, on to the OP's question....

I have had tattoos on my forearm since I started working in the corporate business world nine years ago. As of about five years ago, my right arm has been fully sleeved from shoulder to about an inch and a half about the wrist. I have a large, very noticeable one on my left forearm as well. I can cover them with long sleeves when needed, but have always rolled my sleeves up at my desk. I do not believe that having them has hindered me to date.

At one very conservative company, I was promoted five times in two years, and promoted three times at another, even more conservative company, in a four year period. True, there may have been some negative perceptions about me because of them, but I believe my work ethic and productivity overshadowed them.

Though my emploers have seen them, they know I will cover them when needed. For instance, I usually have my sleeves rolled up to my elbows when I am at my desk or when around co-workers who approve of them (many are fascinated and I've had a couple managers that I feel actually liked me more because of them. One used to inspect my arms in the elevators and at my desk going on about what beautiful artwork I had).

Here is what I have always done at a new corporate/office job:

I almost always wear long sleeves. I keep the sleeves buttoned down for a while. Once I've proven I've got a good work ethic and am productive, I start rolling up my sleeves around immediate co-workers and supervisors- the people I encounter day in and day out. The worst reaction I've gotten was shock. "You don't look the type and I would have never expected it." So yes, there is a negative stigma to it, but for folks that already know you well and know you are a strong "part of the team," they don't seem to care.

I do, however, always roll my sleeves down when I am in meetings, dealing with outside parties, meeting new people, etc. I only wear short sleeves if I know I will just be in my office with my direct co-workers all day. I keep a long sleeve shirt in my car just in case though as I never know when a meeting or something may come up.

It may be a bit of annoyance having to deal with rolling my sleeves up and down all day, but so what. I love my ink and I've been pretty successful job-wise so far.

4. dj150888

dj150888

Feb 25, 2008
    Belfast, Ireland
    Yeah, and people might say bad things about your clothes, your hair, your choice of music, your upbringing, a thousand other things. Heres the thing, the sort of people who will be bothered by those things are not the sort of people I want to associate with. This doesn't include the working world, in which, as I've said, I just keep my tattoos covered up.

To people asking what do people gain from tattoos;
    One of my largest tattoos in on my leg, covering up some really severe scarring from an accident I had in my teens. (Skateboarding, not as cool as it looks, 2 compound fractures and over a year not being able to walk!). For years I was really sensitive about the scarring on my leg, I got it all covered up and now I can wear shorts again, I don't cringe whenever I see my leg, all in all, I'm a happier guy.

5. I would recommend a tattoo to anybody! I used to be an art student and skin was one of my favorite mediums, but I would suggest you give it LOTS of thought and make sure it relates to something.....from your soul.....family, career, music, who you REALLY are etc. theres no making fun of those works of art. I am a paramedic and also work in a very busy e.r., some of my tattoos show, some dont, and nobody, including little ol' ladies, have ever given me an off comment. Tattoos are very main stream these days, I see all types of people (patients) all ages with ink. And finally, why should you care what people think? Tattoos were originally a sign of rebellion anyway, yes? Let us know what you decide.

6. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    The whole inside of my upper arm is tattooed, if I wear a T-shirt, you will see it, people some times look at me funny, some stare at it but don't say anything and most just don't care...

One of my legs is pretty filled, just need 1 more piece and it's full, but people don't/won't see it unless I wear shorts or unless I show them...

I don't care what people think of them, and if they won't hire me because of it, it's not the right place for me anyway... if they just ask me to keep it covered when there are customers around, I'm fine with that...

I'm still a student(1 year to go) had some internships, none had a problem with them... so I'm guessing it will end up just fine, also because tattoo's are becoming more main stream and because I can hide them, if required...

and that's kind of the deal I made with myself and my parents: make sure you can tuck them away ;) I love tattoo's on fingers or in necks, but I also love to buy myself stuff and work at a normal job... so I won't get anything to visible... unless I suddenly become a rich dude who doesn't have to work anymore: bodysuit here I come :D

also the 00Gauge holes in my ears didn't cause a problem(took them out now... not to close them, just so they are a bit smaller) but I did get nicer reactions on my ears than on my tattoo's...

7. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Tattoos get me magazine spreads and coverage. Much more so than any music projects I have going on. I'm all for it :p :bassist:

8. These are exactly the types of tattoos that even the most avid tattoo enthusiasts would advice against getting. Walking into a tattoo shop drunk and trying to randomly pick a design from a book or from wall flash is just asking for disaster. I say, good for you Professor Bills that you did not get a tattoo...at least that way. :D

9. The people in the world that have the most extensive tattoos, most of the time, ARE professionals such as doctors, lawyers, etc. They are the ones who have the money and stability to be able to go in and work on full bodysuits. People that squeegie for booze money and drink in the alleyway may have some tattoos, but rarely extensive ones.

Traditional bodysuits never go over your hands or neck or face, and those are the only places you really can't hide with a business suit on. I'm just 17 hours into my bodysuit so far, but although you see it in a t shirt poking up, you'll never see it with a dress shirt on.

Unless you work in an industry that requires you to not cover your body, you'll be fine. Do you think my boss knows that I have big block letters across my ass cheeks that spell "EAT !@$"? Of coarse not, he's never seen my ass.

10. I don't really like tats. I think 99% of them look bad. I don't find them attractive on members of the opposite sex either.

Having said that, I've got nothing against people getting tats. The more people that get them, the more unique I look! :)

11. bakeronbass

bakeronbass

Apr 3, 2007
    Humboldt Ca
    Endorsing Artist; Schroeder Cabinets
    I just saw on CNN that Tattoos are now considered OK by the general public. Wow 2008 is finally here!!!! They did recommend focusing your disgust on those people with facial piercings.

12. Lazylion

Lazylion Goin ahead on wit my bad self!

Jan 25, 2006
    Frederick MD USA
    :D

13. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Nothing against tatoos either but IMO they can turn a really hot chick into something pretty nasty, consider the chick on LA Ink Kat something, perfect example

14. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    Man, give me a girl with sleeves any day of the week!:hyper:
    But too, these days, at least around here to find a girl without tattoos is turning into a rare kind of hot thing.;)

15. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Well to each his own, sleeves or a tramp stamp , the thought of how thats going to look like 50 years later:eek:

16. 50 years from now I'll either be long dead or 72, I don't think I'll be all too worried about how attractive my skin looks compared to who it was who just changed my diaper.

17. Contra(Band)

Contra(Band)

Apr 11, 2008
    By that time you'll have stopped caring what you look like...

18. bohemond

bohemond

Nov 3, 2007
    Okwhat I meant s when your over 50 or 60yrs and your a female with flabby black, purple and red arms and the tats are mushy looking cuz your skin starts to sag. But hell to each her own

19. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    For what I can remember of the original question, yeah... there's times where I've felt awkward with my tattoos. I'm in a fairly "professional" program at university (the department's words, not mine). I have some tattoos on my lower legs, and in actual professional settings, there's no way they'd show up. At classes or department events, I know there's faculty that judge me when I wear shorts (I wear shorts a lot), and sometimes it can be a little awkward if I missjudged how serious the event was. And, if someone doesn't like them, it could make my life difficult when they get their turn as my instructor...

In the end, it's their school and they make the rules, so I tend to suck it up and cover the tattoos up if there's any doubt. Its not really a matter of caring what someone else thinks, so much as I know that I can directly be impeded by displaying a tattoo. They can think what they want, but I'm not going to screw myself over trying to prove some kind of point. I'm just not really interested in somehow rebelling or whatever it is that makes some people so angry about hiding tattoos. I got 'em for me, not a reaction.

The other side of it is that I've always loved/wanted my arms tattooed... like since a really early age. Also wanted to get into my program, but knew I'd be wearing short sleeves and couldn't really hide the tattoos. For me, not worth the sacrifice. For some others apparantly it is. I dunno... its wrong to judge people for having tattoos, but its not going to stop. Get 'em so you can hide 'em if you're worried... if you won't do that, think about the quality and content; that'll have a pretty big impact on how people react.

I've read a few of your posts on the subject, and even though its probably stupid coming from someone with a few tattoos, I pretty much agree with most of it. Not so much the mutilation part, but don't see how that offends people so much. I think that this post sums it up pretty well though. Even if most people aren't going to have a negative reaction, I think that a pretty significant amount of employers won't like it.

20. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD

Professionally applied tattoos that are taken care of will actually hold up decently in 50 years. Lines will spread out a bit, but if you keep the tattoos from being sun damaged and don't have some sort of huge weight gain or loss, you should be fine.