1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Where are the unlined fretless basses!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jewbass, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Jewbass

Jewbass

Apr 30, 2009
    New York, NY
    So I've been searching around for a fretless bass for about 5 months now, and it seems that everything in my $200-500 price range has those little fret markers on them. I understand the reason for putting them on, but it seems as if all of the basses without them are $1000 plus. Is this true, or am I just not looking in the right places?

2. Moonbot

Moonbot

Jul 27, 2009
  3. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

You're not looking hard enough. SX for example makes unlined fretless basses that are cheap. So do others.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have edited the "REAL" in your title to "unlined." Not only will you get better answers as the title is more concise, but calling unlineds "real" fretlesses which by default calls lined one not is asking for trouble (calling a 4-string a "real" bass and ERBs not is against the rules, for example).

5. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Dean Edge?

EdgeFR5_body.gif

Manufacturers keep production costs down by tooling for one style neck/fingerboard. In this case, all fretted. By filling in the grooves instead of installing frets, they can offer a fretless option.

6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Geez, Brian, I'm gonna have to return my flamethrower! :ninja:

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Just call me Smokey The Mod.

8. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Wishbass.

9. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Warwick Rockbass Streamer 4-String Fretless Electric Bass Guitar (Black)
    $449.99

[​IMG]

10. nostatic

nostatic

Jun 18, 2004
    Lompoc, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    well, even bicycles with training wheels are still "real" bicycles...

:bag:

:p

11. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I really don't think you looked very hard, Jewbass. As you can see above, there are lots of cheap unlined basses. Cheap doen't mean 'not good' either. The Dean Edge and Cort Curbow are two with OK bang for buck. MIJ unlined Fenders can be found for around $500 (or less) and are in many ways as good or better than MIA. Many parts basses are decent too, and usually under $600. Good luck with your search.

12. SH69

SH69

Jan 7, 2010
    What do people think if these? i am also looking for an unlined fretless bass, and I see my bass inspiration, Jack Bruce, plays a Warwick. I was wondering how these entry level Warwicks stack up against the ones Mr Bruce plays? Has anyone played one? I saw in anther thread someone said that they use cheaper wood and electronics, I'm just not sure how marked a difference that would make to the overall sound.

13. On a side note, bike racers use "training wheels" to denote strong/heavy wheels for every day use. Race wheels are typically carbon with a much more 'spensive tire.

Training wheels:

DSC00036.jpg

Race wheels:

DSC00298.jpg

14. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Damn, now I'm gassing for one...

15. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    "Wow, I'm riding a real bicycle! :hyper:"
    [​IMG]

"Ouch :bawl:"
    [​IMG]

:bag:

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My first fretless was an unlined Dean Edge and it was fine. Recommended. Dean is inconsistent about putting lines on their fretless basses. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

17. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I've seen used Warwick Corvette's going for $450-550 lately on Ebay/Craigslist. That's what I'd nab...

FLVetteSTD5.jpg

18. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 24, 2020