Where do you like to perform?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Bars and Nightclubs

35 vote(s)
  2. Casuals (weddings, business functions, etc.)

3 vote(s)
  3. Church

6 vote(s)
  4. Theatres and other larger venues

27 vote(s)
  5. Parties for friends and relatives

3 vote(s)
  6. Garage, Basement, Home, etc.

2 vote(s)
  7. Other

5 vote(s)
  1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Just wanted to get an idea of where TBers prefer to play gigs.
  2. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Anywhere that pays decently, really. Clubs have a good energy, but smoking is still very fashionable here, which is a mjor turnoff. Weddings pay very well, but go on for hours (over here). Corporate, one night, casuals are fine as well.

No real preference. If the money is good, I'll play anywhere.
  3. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah, anywhere where the $ is yo.............. :p

bars and nightclubs have been the staple for me, but then again, i play a lot of rock.

actually, the venue and the type of music don't matter. if the band is really cooking and the audience is digging it then as far as i'm concerned it's a good gig. when all the ducks are in a row it's the next best thing to sex (and i've never been paid for sex either) :D
  4. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I went with theaters, because there's just something about a stage designed for performing with a decent backstage area. Plus there's no smoking.

I love playing in bars though, and really they're two different and very enjoyable worlds.

I'll agree that the place doesn't matter so much as the crowd. When I think back to my favorite gigs, the place doesn't really factor in as much as whether everyone was having fun or not.
  5. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I also voted for theatres/larger venues, and I like the larger backstage areas. I like playing at clubs too, but I'm not old enough to play in a bar.

6. I voted "casuals"....the pay is better than nightclubs, usually the hours aren't as grueling, there's not as much cigarette smoke to contend with, the drunks are usually less obnoxious, and the folks that pay for the band are usually more honest.

Here in Nashville there's a pretty ritzy part of town, and in addition to weddings, high school reunions, etc, the rich folks like to throw their own private parties. The women that attend these functions are usually dressed pretty hot, and even though they're wealthy, they still like to drink and get down!!! So these events are quite fun to play at... :D
  7. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Oops...I voted nightclubs out of habit, and I should have said, "parties."

My experience is that nobody's told the hosts of a party that bands should be treated like garbage yet. Most parties I've played (since I got out of my teens, anyway) involved a reasonably large check, buffet rights, and often bar/keg privelages. What's more, people are often profusely thankful when you've done a good job, played their favorite song, etc with much less in the way of, "Play some Skynyrd!!" unless someone's being a smarta**.
  8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I used to like night clubs alot, but nowadays I like casuals.

In terms of a job, the pay and hours are better. The type of music is interesting in that I can play more than the bar-band standards. But some of the casual stuff like "Girl From Impanema" can be as bad as playing "Brown Eyed Girl", but at least if I am selling my musical soul, I am getting a better price for it. :D

Plus some of musicians playing casuals are phenomenal.
  9. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I voted for large venues...because I just love having a huge stage to run around on, but I also love to play in churches or other smaller venues where the kids are right there in front of you...I can really feed off the crowd's energy in a small, packed venue when the audience is into it.
  10. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Right now I'm trying to put together a "volunteer" band.

My idea is a band that would play either jazz or R&B, or a combination of both, on a strictly no-pay basis, at local hospices, retirement centers, children's hospitals, or other needy areas. I love playing to crowds that aren't able to get too much live entertainment, and are truly appreciative of our efforts.

Unfortunately, my ads aren't being met with too many responses.
  11. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    I like to pratice/jam in garages but what I enjoy the most is going outside on a nice day, hooking up the amp and just play for everyone to hear

I just played anything I knew it was cool some kid came up to me and complemented me :cool:

:bassist: Rock on!! :bassist:

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I chose "church" (surprise, surprise). We really have a tight jazzy, funk sound and we get plenty of time to jam!!!

My second choice would be nightclubs..because of the music I play, it's not a really wild scene and the audience is very appreciative of the music. Casuals are boring (except some weddings). Usually, you're just background music at a corporate event...but the pay is great, so I've learned to deal with 'em :hyper:
  13. Craigle

Craigle "Careful with that joke, it's an antique!"

Mar 10, 2004
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I've only ever played in bars/large clubs, but then I don't think that hard rock really goes well with wedding and casual gigs.

I'm curious though, what kind of music do you guys play at casuals and corporate gigs?
  14. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

Whatever the client wants. Depending on the function, it could range from quiet jazz to start to 50's rock to Chilli Peppers. It all depends on the function, the budget, if there is going to be dancing, or if they just want background music. They can be very easy gigs with minimal gear requirements and easy money. Some are afternoon functions. Some Saturday nights. Some in big hotels, outdoor party tents. I've done some out in the desert while living in the Middle East. They can be nice easy gigs. They can be a nice departure from playing bars. And the money tends to be better.

The gigs I do most often are one offs, like corporate gigs, or bars hiring bands for one nighters. I freelance mostly, in throw together bands. I do have a R&R classic and current rock trio, but most of calls are either for subbing or a throw together. All the guys on call here, have been playing for years and know standards. So, no rehearsals necessary, and no one is interested in rehearsing because most of their evenings they are working playing music. We just show up. Sometimes, not so much anymore, you're being introduced to musicians you'll be playing with as you start the gig. That's an interesting experience the first few times you go through that. But if you know your chops and you have a good ear, it is an exhilarating time, because everyone is paying close attention to each other and making a lot of eye contact. You end up focussing on each other, playing correctly, locking with the drummer, following the leader if he wants the song to be extended or is throwing you a solo, and keeping the band super tight. Honestly...this kind of gigging is a real rush. Most of time, there aren't any train wrecks.

The band leaders I work with really know how to gauge the room and understand what the client wants. Soemtimes the mood allows you to start with Sweet Home Alabama. Sometimes, you're doing a nice jazz version of Route 66. By the end of the night, Chilly Peppers, Green Day, etc.
  15. ritzy clubs....got a regular jazz trio gig in a ritzy up market place....i love it
  16. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    How often do you play? what are the hours? Guitar/bass/drums?
  17. yup...g/b/d...we've played there once, last sunday, seccond time this sunday..in talks for a secure position for the rest of the year...got that and my heavy funk band getting off the ground
  18. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

Good on ya (that's how they say it down there isn't it?)
  19. yeah....that or bonza....plenty others...but you know how we aussies are..pretty crude n rude :p
  20. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Interested in reading about the heavy funk project. What's band consist of, covers (?), originals, etc. You were sniffing about getting new gear on other threads, if I recall...make a decision or a purchase?

Start another thread and fill us in or pm me.