Where do you sling it? And why?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tb-player, May 19, 2021.

1. As low as I can get it

2. Low, but vertical. I need to see that neck!

3. Low, but more around the belt

4. Covering my belly with the headstock at 45-degrees

5. Covering my belly with the neck at 90-degrees

6. Hike it up there. I like to feel it on my chest.

7. Can't get high enough. There's magic in the bowtie bass.

8. I like carrots.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Years ago, here in Nashville, I had to follow Keith Horne at an open jam (and this was after he'd just demolished 'Orange Blossom Special' on his upside down 6-string at 90mph . . . ) and felt like Twiggy subbing for Dolly Parton. I wanted to crawl under the kick drum . . . . .

Sascha Erni likes this.
  2. Early on, I had a couple Chuck Rainey method books, and CR advised setting the strap sitting down, then that would be where it would always be, sitting or standing. I've done that ever since. At least that's ONE thing I could do just like Chuck Rainey . . . . .

Petethebassman likes this.
  3. tb-player

tb-player Gold Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    I used this same method. The only difference is, I like the bass a little higher than seated position, so I use a classical guitar footrest. When I stand, the bass stays a little higher. So same principle, slightly different results.

4. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I pick the Stefan Lessard positioning in the first post. That's perfect! I can both easily reach the money notes and the upper-frets.

5. I'm mostly a pick player, but do play finger style.
    It's belt level for me at 45 degree angle most of the time. FB_IMG_1617152654444.jpg

Last edited: May 21, 2021
    ctmullins and zie like this.
  6. My right moob peeks over the edge of the body of the bass.

7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Just realized there aren't many pictures of me playing. We have a gig tonight, so I'll try and get that changed. But here's a still from a video. Looks like I am slightly on the low side with a headstock close to 45.

Screen Shot 2021-05-22 at 9.35.02 AM.png

8. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I prefer sitting down with the neck angled about 45 degrees upwards.

But when I do stand up I prefer it strapped so that it cover about half of my belly, from around the belly button and up, and the neck in an about 45 degree angle upwards.

So basically somewhere pretty much in between a middle position and high slung, and for lack of that option I chose the "covering my belly" option in the poll.

This seems just about right, maybe ever so slightly higher and with ever so slightly more angle to the neck:

Also I do guess it matters in this context that my main is a just 28,6" scale Ibanez Mikro Bass.

Unfortunately though that bass has gone from absolutely perfectly balancing to neck dive after I transplanted the neck to a much lighter body, bus as I, as said, mostly sit down playing it matters less.

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  9. I wear my basses on the hip, neck at 45+ degrees. I used to have them much higher, like, ouch, chin!, but this has been working best for me for a couple of years now.

So I guess this goes with “covering my belly, 45 °” or something. “Crotch shield”, perhaps? 22D5BE20-8AB0-4A03-AFB2-C247D1B86F98.jpeg

Edith says: HAHAHAHA, stumbled over video from 23 years ago. Yup, quite a bit higher back then. Also, black silk shirt. LOL

19B4CD86-CD62-44A3-8B57-BFD0EC580796.jpeg

Last edited: May 22, 2021
  10. fuz74

fuz74 Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2006
    The Canadian Midwest
    Tone chaser...
    18 rabbit bass pic.jpg

i reckon i sling it pretty low. it is pretty comfortable though.\

i really miss playing live...take good care ✌

Last edited: May 26, 2021
  11. This. Is. Low:

3uGbdLH.jpg
    Tatsu Mikami, Church of Misery

My picture. But not my sling height. I personally prefer ergonomics above aesthetics.

OogieWaWa likes this.
  12. tb-player

tb-player Gold Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    He needs those Tony Levin Funk Fingers!
    tonylevinebass.jpg

Nekomata likes this.
  13. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    I have the strap adjusted so the bass is at same height seated or standing. For consistency and ergonomics it just makes sense, I have used that method for over 30 years.
    FB_IMG_1570439458109.jpg

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021