Where do you sling it? And why?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by tb-player, May 19, 2021.

1. As low as I can get it

2. Low, but vertical. I need to see that neck!

3. Low, but more around the belt

4. Covering my belly with the headstock at 45-degrees

5. Covering my belly with the neck at 90-degrees

6. Hike it up there. I like to feel it on my chest.

7. Can't get high enough. There's magic in the bowtie bass.

8. I like carrots.

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. kinda low..

337C0F7C-1184-4FA7-8756-A7981BED114A.jpeg

Stormchaser and Dino78 like this.
  2. avi

avi

Jun 14, 2017
    So depends on the bass. Most I play kind of low - at belt height however when it comes to my Gibson Thunderbird that demands to be played low as I can get it. Playing that bass is kind of like a 'raslin match anyhow. Not my fist choice to play at home but it IS the sound and look of rock.

3. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    Fairly low.

I've got really long arms and legs, and a short torso. So even though the bass hangs below my belt line, you can still see that my right arm isn't anywhere near straight. I often have trouble sitting down and playing for more than an hour or two, and much prefer standing up.

x5XOdI0.jpg

Sascha Erni likes this.
  4. DRay521

DRay521 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I’m sure this has probably been mentioned by now, but I was told a long time ago that the strap height should match where the bass sits when you practice. I practice with the bass on my leg in a chair, so I make sure that when I stand up, the bass on the strap is exactly the same place. I wear it a little lower on gigs where I don’t have to be so technical, but it’s always within the same range.

Winton likes this.
  5. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Mid Level and 90 works for me. I like to make sure both my right and left wrists are as straight as possible and shoulders don’t rise

6. Emanuel

Emanuel Master of the run-on sentence

Good to know, thx Kael!

To be honest I’ve consistently worn my bass lower than I should in an effort to look “cool” when playing anything remotely close to Rock. I love the Punk-Rock aesthetic personally (much props to Lenny JG) and let’s face it, there are times when one shows up to a cattle-call type audition and it goes like this:
    You defer your place in line in order to listen in.
    You’ve done your best to dress the part.
    You treat everybody around you with respect.
    You open up your case/bag and there’s a P Bass (first smile from who you now know is the shot-caller) inside.
    You sling your bass on the low side, hang with the drummer (volumes could be written about this plz ref. a YT vid by Jonny Long) and fill up the physical/musical space allotted to you with more attitude than notes.
    You get outta there quickly so as to not say something stupid (note to self: apply this to “relationships”).
    You get the call back.

Of course this is specific to a media driven rock/pop rock type thing but I thought it was worth a laugh.
    It occurs to me that sometimes people are looking for someone to hang their fashion on as much as they are an actual bassist and they miss out on a lot of we have to offer and contribute.

Playing music has never been about money for me and if put on a pie chart it would be small but you know what; we deserve to get paid and there’s money out there rest assured of that.
    I’m getting too old to be viable in that market, right now like so many places LA is awash in musicians. I think I’ll take Kaels’ advice and the rest can work out. Save my hands because I’ll tell ya, during the shutdown(s) playing bass saved me.
    Be Safe, E

7. i get it that "rockstars" wear the strap real low, but man it aint ideal.

i'm not quite as high as vic. i guess jaco height is roughly what i copied as a kid, and later had a great teacher confirm was a "good" place to put it.

gebass6 likes this.
  8. Naigewron

Naigewron

Jan 5, 2018
    Norway
    This logic never made sense to me. Why does sitting down automatically put the bass in the optimal position for everyone?

I realise the point is to keep the playing feel consistent between seated and standing, but playing seated just isn't that comfortable for many people (me included). If I'm rehearsing my band's songs at home, especially if I'm preparing for a gig, I'll do it standing up, with the bass in my most comfortable playing position.

mambo4 and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  9. johnh89

johnh89

Jan 25, 2020
    Kent UK
    Never thought about it and couldn't tell you . Put strap on bass , adjust to where comfortable at the time , leave it there for ever .

OogieWaWa and ctmullins like this.
  10. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) mmm Woody! DHDIK? Supporting Member

20190308_211107.jpg

Attached Files:

Sascha Erni likes this.
  11. Yonni

Yonni

Oct 31, 2016
    Scotland
    I think I’m a Tal
    32001D59-30A8-47FA-9B19-989FF31BA1B4.jpeg

Sascha Erni likes this.
  12. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    gebass6 and bignc like this.
  13. DRay521

DRay521 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2007
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Valid opinion. If you don’t practice seated, it kind of makes that idea irrelevant, because as you said the thought is that nothing should change positionally between practice and performance. But if you practice standing, whatever position is comfortable and allows facility to play everything you want to play with no tension and risk of injury. I know guys that have wrecked their wrists playing too low because it put their hand at an unnatural angle. Overall, do what suits you.

SoCal80s likes this.
  14. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    My thoughts exactly. When I sit and rest my bass on my leg both my left and right wrists are too bent for comfort. The point of " same position standing or sitting" is just consistency. Instead of forcing yourself to gig like you practice, why not force yourself to practice like you gig? In other words just practice standing up.

SoCal80s and Naigewron like this.
  15. Tim Craig

Tim Craig Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    The Youtube vid is Keith Horne, perhaps a lesser known but an absolutely monster of a player. He lived here in Nashvilile for many years and I was fortunate to watch him, on several occasions, play with the Wooten's every Wednesday night and 3rd & Lindsley. The two pics well... Bass playing positioning is like wearing underwear...as long as you like where it hangs and it's comfortable go for it.

Attached Files:

• JB.jpg
      JB.jpg
      File size:
      47 KB
      Views:
    • VW.jpg
      VW.jpg
      File size:
      7.9 KB
      Views:
    5StringBlues likes this.
  16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Middle with a 45 degree or less (more obtuse?) angle, conveniently dodging my belt.
    81EEDCD1-824D-4B83-90A8-C204CCA7E54D.jpeg

17. OregonMike

OregonMike

Jul 7, 2020
    As Dean Ween says, "Above the cock or below the cock, but never cover the cock."

OregonMike

Sascha Erni likes this.
  18. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    Low, covers up if I ever forget to zip up; CRS you know. I don't wear a belt, just suspenders, so rash isn't an issue.

But anywhere from flat when thumbing to almost straight up when trying to get bit of an upright attack, it varies a LOT. On purpose, keeps the wrists and fingers relaxed and less repetitive.
    HamHands.jpg

19. OogieWaWa

OogieWaWa

Mar 17, 2013
    Oak Harbor, OH
    Well, there's low. And then there's LOW! I haven't seen many like this posted so far!

8eeeee6501f5d4c11c1dcc85643cc9ec.png

That's how I feel when I sit in for a few in my 6'4" buddy's band!!!

Schizo Sapiens likes this.
  20. Agent P

Agent P

Apr 3, 2015
    USA
    Waist + 30-to-45 degree neck angle:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021