1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

which bass's look has grown on you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcus, Apr 29, 2009.

1. in another thread, I saw an old post I made about disliking a certain bass' aesthetic, but about 3 years later, I find that my tastes have changed :D

what are some basses you guys disliked the look of but grew fond of?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    P basses for sure. I used to hate the huge weird-shaped pickguard, like who would want a big old sheet of plastic on top of their bass? Now I love P basses. I haven't grown to like the Bongo yet. I like unusual-looking basses, definitely not stuck in the "must look like a Fender" mentality, but I just cannot bring myself to like the Bongo. No offense to those that do like them, and I certainly don't want to open the usual can of bashing and stupid jokes about them.

3. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I didn't like the Bongo at first but then after owning one I fell in love with its looks.

I used to love the way a Kubicki Ex-Factor looked but have in the past few years fallen out of love with them.

Steinberger = never liked the looks but loved the playability

That is about it.

4. robgo

robgo

Jan 25, 2008
    UK
    I think you mean "bass's"

Sorry. I'm feeling picky :D

5. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Lincoln, CA
    I'm starting to come around to liking the gloss color finished basses with pickguards now, but I still have a soft spot for hand oiled natural wood finishes. I don't know that the Fender style body shape will ever grow on me though, I just can't get into it for whatever reason. :( I guess I'll keep being the loner.

6. At first site I didn't much care for the Bongo, but over time I find I like its unique look.

I don't own one and probably never will; there are a number of other basses I'd buy first given the cash and opportunity.

7. The traditional Fenders (P & J). Never liked 'em but I'm starting to fall in love. Don't know if I'll ever be able to swallow the MM/EB basses. The Bongo is my favorite of the bunch if that tells you anything...

8. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    +1 about Precisions, I used to think they were just overdone, now they are my favorite.

Also thanks for sharing your comments about the Bongo, based on your s/n I assumed you were all about them. I guess you are talking about digging the percussion instruments? ;)

9. Lakland Decade. at first i thought they were the fugliest things i'd ever seen. they've definitely grown on me, especially the non-pickguard Dark Star versions...

10. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    For me it has been the Warwick Corvette. I used think it was most unattractive and then I got in one of those moods / needs for a new bass went to GC one night (with my wife no less) and played every 5 string they had. I went home with a new Warwick Corvette $$ 5. It is by far and away my favorite bass I have ever owned and I hope I can own many more Warwick's in my life.

The Bongo is one that I thought was radical looking but not in a repulsive way. Probably more of an indifferent way if anything. I played one not to long ago and thought it felt great. I am really diggin any bass these days with great access to the upper frets, the Bongo and the Corvette both have that attribute.

11. funny - my 1st thought when seeing this thread was: I can tell you what bass hasn't grown on me is the Bongo. just never dug it.

Warwicks are growing on me a little. I just love their necks.

12. Anyone else having troubling telling whether or not this is a joke?

13. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    MTD

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I must admit... I remember seeing Bee Basses ads in Bass Player mag and thought they were pretty goofy. The more I saw, the more I had to look... the more I looked... the more I started to dig them. Currently, the 'Worker Bee' is my all time favorite body style.

15. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    Singlecuts.

16. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    ritter roya.
    I still dislike other models, with the exception of jupiter.

the platinum roya is just gorgeous. I think a tb'er has it.

17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I didn't think he was joking; it's a grammar/spelling point of much debate. I've had English teachers insist that it is one or the other way, about equally. Personally I prefer adding the second "s", it just reads better to me, but the "apostrophe no s" is one of the ways it is taught.

18. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Yep. :) When I first joined TB I was mostly a percussionist, and I had no idea there was a popular/notorious new bass called the Bongo.

The main reason I even brought up not digging the looks of the Bongo is because I really wanted to like it. I like non-mainstream designs, especially ergonomic ones, so I kept looking at pics of the Bongo and bassists playing the Bongo, hoping that the little lightbulb of appreciation would go on, but it hasn't yet. I actually like their new "Big Al" better, and it's gotten a lot of scorn from the public so far.

19. I was super anti Ken Smith basses-thought they looked to early 80s but they grew on me.

20. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Singlecuts