1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which cab for hard rock?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by racelaj, Mar 14, 2013.

1. racelaj

racelaj

Nov 19, 2012
    First off - I'm fairly new to the bass and gigging world. Currently in a hard rock cover band with monthly gigs at a small bar (<50ppl). I've been shlepping a 1x15 combo that is getting long in the tooth and its girth (90 lbs) is getting tiresome at my age. Soon I will be getting a Hartke HA3500 or 5500 from my local shop. Shop owner (a veteran bass player) is recommending the Hartke 4.5XL to go along with it but my back is already complaining and the floor space at the gig is seriously lacking, not to mention we have a real nice PA system (+sub) built by the store owner mentioned above totally capable of handling whatever we through at it. So I am wondering what the tb faithful can recommend in a small package (212 or 115?), that is easy on the wallet (<$750) and my back, which would go well with the Hartke amp, my P-bass, and hard rock. Looking for specific brand + model suggestions...One final note, my practice amp is an Ampeg BA108 and I LOVE the tone of that thing! :cool: Thanks - J

2. I would look to a greenboy Bassic 115 loaded with the Eminence 3015. Light, loud, Not huge.

3. capncal

capncal

Apr 14, 2009
    Sansamp Bass Driver DI into the board. Lightest rig ever.

4. Ampeg 810 of course :D

Need more info. What type of venues? PA support? Is size or weight factor? What amp are you using? Do you like clean or dirty tone?

5. racelaj

racelaj

Nov 19, 2012
    It's all in my original post...

6. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    Whatever sounds good to your ears!!!!!

7. No it isn't. "Small bar" doesn't really answer any of the questions.

8. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The Greenboy suggestion is a good one, but for mass produced stuff you have many options. I've had good luck with Avatar (I have their neo 2x10, VERY loud and light to boot), I hear good things about GK, and of course there is a plethora of builders and other companies to check out as well. The Ampeg portaflex 1x15 bass cabs are pretty sweet as well, from what I hear. That cab may be voice a bit differently than you'd like, but for the price it's hard to beat the Avatar neo 2x10 or 2x12 cabs. They also make a 3-way (1x15, 1x6, and tweeter) cab that is in your price range, I hear great things about that one too.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/list bass.htm

Go neo! Your back will thank you in the longrun! :bassist:

9. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Anyone know the best cab for Punk?

10. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Does Daisy Rock make cabs? :smug::D;)

11. Get something that works at 4 ohms, you will want it as the 3500 puts out 240 watts at 8 ohms and the 5500 is not bridgeable so you can only use one side at 8 ohms for 170 watts. Not exactly thumpin.

12. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

When you've dug yourself into a hole, splitting hairs isn't going to get you out.

To the OP: I'm in a similar bar band playing once or twice a month to audiences of 50 - 200 people depending on the venue.

Since your PA has a good sub that can handle everything you can throw at it, your rig is only really going to be needed as a monitor, especially in a small bar, so the Greenboy cab suggestion is a good one. If you wanted to go a bit bigger then a 2 x 15 cab loaded with Eminence 3015's or Faital Pros will get crazy loud with relatively little wattage - they're very efficient cabs and will be as loud as an 810 but only weigh about 50 pounds. The Greenboy Dually, Barefaced Super Fifteen will do the trick...or if you are feeling handy John_K10 did a self build that was similar. If you search on Starliner you will see the build thread that doesn't look too difficult to follow.

Of course this may be overkill for your current needs but you never know when you might need to play bigger stages or have to play without PA support - and they're 4 ohms so you get the most juice out of your amp

13. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    LoL a 8x10?

14. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Ampeg 4 10 or 8 10.

15. sorry, did not see that you went back and edited your post.

I agree with the greenboy/fearful suggestions as you have some weight and size restrictions.

16. racelaj

racelaj

Nov 19, 2012
    Thanks I like the 210 and 212!

17. I,ll stick with my used but not abused SWR super redhead 2x10 combo hands down! Tube pre amp [2 12ax7] 240 watts alot of possibilities. 90lbs on castors.

18. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    2x15!

19. Hawkbone

Hawkbone

Mar 23, 2009
    Newfoundland
    Considering you have a good PA, do this. Straight to the board is good enough for Geddy and lots of others. Take your practice amp if you want to have some tone on stage, or get a small NEO cab for your Hartke.