1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Colors Correspond With Which Notes???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Markamb1, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    So far it seems like E should be Violet and F should start the spectrum again At Red.

If you don’t care, don’t post. If you don’t think it matters, you’re right! Read and comment on something else. Lol thanks

Any other input is appreciated

But........

I’ve been dying to associate the right Colour with the right Notes. I want to take one guitar and one bass.... sticker each fret with the notes and colour of the note....

Every source I’ve researched has a different opinion...

spectrum of light waves do roughly correspond with the frequencies of sound waves ....

I’m hoping some of you have thought about this as well or are interested enough to do some searching...

I think you could also shade those colours up and down per octave.

I’d like enough reasoning to definitively decide on the right colours for the right notes.

There’s info all over the world....I found technical information associated with numbers and spirtual information associated with the senses.

What do you think?

I’d like to do this with a higher end fretlight guitar. Lights in the fretboard light up to show chords but more importantly all the relevant notes in any scale you can think of. Would be an amazing upgrade for the fretlight concept to have the notes coloured.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
    maxmaroon and eJake like this.
  2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    A - amber
    B - blue
    C - chartreuse
    D - denim
    E - eggshell
    F - fuchsia
    G - green

3. Signalsdrone

Signalsdrone

Feb 6, 2017
    SW Ontario
    Back in my 20's while doing acid, I listened to a song called PSY by the Butthole Surfers and I could see flashes of colour that went along with the song. I don't think I'd be able to figure out what notes the colours were but it certainly looked cool at the time. :wacky:

4. It's hardly opinion, the different shades are from specific frequency ranges:

upload_2018-12-29_23-1-55.

5. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    I wish we could use or even remember the revelations of drugs. It’s been years for me because the things I’ve heard from drug addicted elder artists is that their art is ultimately dead and all the beauty and creativity lives only in their head, on drugs coming too fast to make sense or capture in time.

An infinite state of useless fantastica..

Very interested in the results of drugs in relation to this topic as well as what is considered mental illness or just hypersensitivity.

6. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    That’s exactly what I saw. What the hell is a thz? How would that correspond to notes in that context?

RobTheRiot and Killed_by_Death like this.
  7. TeraHertz
    there's KiloHertz x 1,000
    MegaHertz x 1,000,000
    GigaHertz x 1,000,000,000
    TeraHertz x 1,000,000,000 (trillion)
    We tune to A 440 Hz, and our A string is at 55 Hz:

notechart_fretfreq-.

Here's where the opinion comes in, your numbers are "off" by only a factor of 8 trillion & the ranges are between 30 to 80 TeraHertz.

IamGroot, Selios, wraub and 19 others like this.
  8. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    That’s awesome I’m printing that out. Lots of cool stuff to think about in that.

So open low e is 41hz. The fretted 12th string on low E 82hz is the same frequency as a fretted d string at the second fret 82hz...one octave higher doubles the frequency ... what other measurement could be used to describe the difference in sound because even though it’s the same note....same frequency, the pitch is different? Is their a measurement for that? The difference in sound between strings? I always thought that’s what I would see if I could see what you just showed me....but those two strings have the same frequencies on those frets.

This might be elementary for some but I’ve never had it explained to me correctly.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    lizardking837 likes this.
  9. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Every time I play a wrong note, my BL sees red.

10. The notes on the fretboard are in Hertz, not TeraHertz, which is why it would be difficult to correlate them.

lizardking837 and Markamb1 like this.
  11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    So you are saying all the notes are red? That certainly makes it much easier!

TheReceder, Spidey2112 and G-Z like this.
  12. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    Only if one is playing the muffed monochromatic scale.

TheReceder and Spidey2112 like this.
  13. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Synaesthesia is highly personal; even people who actually 'see' sounds as colors have different interpretations.
    If you had it, you'd already know the answer...
    Since you don't, it doesn't matter.
    IMO, you should be looking at your fretboard less, not more.
    But if you want colored stickers - make up some system that works for you.

barrenelly, Joebone, Ekulati and 6 others like this.
  14. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA
    Scriabin beat you to this....

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You might like this thread: Bass frequency/waterfall plots: what they mean to rigs

Unfortunately some of the graphs went away during the 2014 software change here. But there's still plenty of food for thought there.

Markamb1 likes this.
  16. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    ok so I corrected it...same question. Correlating is what I’m trying to do. I’ve seen some of this stuff before but couldn’t take it any further.

17. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    If you’re telling me that someone has already done what I’m wanting to know please point me in that direction.

Regardless of that I’m happy to continue taking in new information here.

RobTheRiot likes this.
  18. blastoff99

blastoff99 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2011
    SW WA, USA

Clavier à lumières - Wikipedia

There is a wealth of info online on this. His contemporaries must have thought he was an interesting chap!

Winoman likes this.
  19. GretschWretch

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    "Hearing Colors"

Etude

20. Markamb1

Markamb1

Oct 24, 2018
    Not saying I do. I definitely need to look more until I can see without the stickers... I’ve played a long time without enough targeted practice I can’t instantly tell you every note.... you couldn’t point anywhere and have me respond...even harder for me on guitar... with more complex relationships in chords being able to simaultaneously tell you every fretted and open note in a chord....would hold me back to not attempt this shortcut.

5this is also for beginners I’d like to help my kids with more instantaneous realizations and easier pattern recognition.

Very cool I will take some time with it

Passinwind likes this.