1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which DI for Sadowsky Metro and Fender ADJV?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by esxmac, Nov 18, 2010.

1. esxmac

esxmac

Aug 17, 2003
    I have a Sadowsky MV5 (noiseless pickups, active or passive), a Fender American Deluxe Jazz V (SCN pickups, active only), and Fender P-Bass with the Original '62 P Bass pickup (reissue) in it (passive). I use the Jazz basses much more often than the P-bass.

I use a Xotic Bass RC Booster (only occassionally), along with a tuner. I rarely use more than one bass at a gig and seldom use an amp (although I have been considering a Markbass CMD 102p or 121p).

I play live weekly and have been using a Sansamp BDDI that took a dive on me (the switch started working intermittently). I have used a J48 (not crazy about it) and a JDI (I like this one).

I am looking for a one-size-fits-all direct box--any ideas?

2. esxmac

esxmac

Aug 17, 2003
    It was nice to have the tone options, but I didn't use them very often, especially after I got the Sadowsky.

I am looking for something light-weight.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What was it about the J48 that you "weren't crazy about"?

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    You already have 2 of the most suggested boxes on TB. What's not to like about the Radials - either the JDI or the J48?

5. esxmac

esxmac

Aug 17, 2003
    Oh, sorry, I don't own either of them. The J48 seemed at times too woofy and at other times too growly, while the JDI sounded more balanced overall.

I do like the JDI, but I am posting all this because I want to make sure it's the best option for all my basses and because I don't know much about the other options.

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I know some people have issues with the JDI having a low output with passive basses, but if you use your active jazz basses most, I would go with that. And really, the FOH guy should be able to compensate for your signal.

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    The J48 has high headroom, flat response, and zero tonal effect--so any "woof or growl" you heard came from something else on the occasion(s) you used it.

Really DI's fall into three camps:
    --poor quality
    --good quality with tone shaping
    --good quality with no tone shaping

When you're looking at the "good ones with no tone shaping", they are all pretty similar to each other. Certainly there are nuances of difference, but nothing to lose sleep over. The exception would be units like the Avalon U5 that have extra features and functions you might be interested in. So you'll need to specify if there are any functions besides "being a DI" that you want from the unit.

When you're looking at DI's with tone shaping, then really you have to be very specific about what kind/flavor of tone shaping you want. It's no good for us to say "the XYZ unit has awesome tone" if it doesn't have the tone you want.

Also, specify your budget. I can name a top-quality DI that costs $99, and I can name another top-quality DI that costs $900. But one is not interchangeable with the other, because they have different tone and function elements.

8. esxmac

esxmac

Aug 17, 2003
    Ok, well, the Sadowsky and ADJV sound pretty good as-is, so something transparent works for them--what would you suggest for this?

Occassionally, I like to add extra low-end/beefiness, and other times, I like more of a scooped mids tone--more modern sounding with some growl, but I don't necessarily need overdrive. Is this where a tone shaping di would be better?

I would like to keep it under $250.

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer Supporting Member

May 24, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO USA
    I have the Sadowsky preamp/DI, and it works very well. I also have a LR Baggs paracoustic DI that is extremely transparent if you want it to be but has a little tone shaping if you needed.

Both work exceptionally well for DI applications.

10. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    As long as the EQ part of the DI can be switched on/off without affecting the levels from the outputs too much, then yes a DI with EQ could work well for you. The Sadowsky is a good example. Another option is to stick with a bare-bones DI and just add other pedals for your "modern scooped" or "low end beef" settings.

11. justabass

justabass

Nov 7, 2006
    Nashville TN/Old Hickory TN
    Endorsing-Trace Elliot,Peavey Basses,PedalTrain,Starkey inears
    JDI!

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've been running my Fodera Emperor straight to the board through a JDI for my acoustic trio gig. It is a very pure sound. Before that, I was running my Breedlove ABG through a Fodera Model 2010 to the board. Wow. For that application, nothing else comes close. If you need tone shaping, I'd recommend the Fodera 2010. Pricey, but nicey.

[​IMG]