1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Which DR's?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, May 11, 2006.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

OK. I'm going to try some DR's on my Ibanez SR506, go back to tuning B-C (well, actually going half step down). I keep hearing good things, so DR's will be on the chopping block.

Fatbeams, HiBeams, SunBeams, LoRiders (SS & Nickel)... I don't know what to choose! I tried D'addario ProSteels. They were great for slap, nice mid-scoop, but lacked a lot of body and punch IMO. Nickel XL's had a great sound for about 2 weeks, then they died and they've gotten pretty bleh.

I'd like something that lasts longer before it craps the bed on me. I'm so spoiled by the Elixirs that came on the bass originally, but I don't have the cash to drop on another set.

I'm looking at all of their .030 - .130 sets.

2. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I really like Sunbeams. I think they have a very solid and projecting tone. The nickel helps keep things warm, and not too bright. They do lack growl, I've heard reviewers say it, and after buying a recent set, I agree. For me personally, they're pretty close to perfect. They're full but still have some snap and funkiness to them.

3. p5string

p5string

Aug 21, 2004
    Webster, NY
    Been using Sunbeams for years on both my fretted & fretless. My hands arn't sweaty or acidic so mine have always lasted for months. YMMV

4. I used HiBeams on my Ibanez for a fear years. They were fantastic. The bass was passive and the brightness of the HiBeams complimented them well. Now that I've got a Stingray with it's super hot output, I use FatBeams. They sound amazing.

5. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Marcus Miller signature Fat Beams... use these on my Fender American Deluxe P-Bass-5... (.045-.125.)

I tried DRs 'Black Beauties'... had 'em on my bass for 3 weeks, but I didn't like them. My left-hand fingers loved the way they felt, but my right-hand fingers hated 'em! They kept getting stuck whenever I would do a phrase of 16th notes... I dropped a lot of chops with those strings! However... the 'Black Beauties' have a pretty good sound...

I've been using medium (.45-.105) Hi-Beams on my 4-string Fender Stu Hamm Urge-II. However, when it came time to change them, I decided to try Elixer Nanoweb Mediums, 'cuz I read and heard fabulous things about this brand. I've had these strings on my bass for just about 4 weeks now, and, while they feel fantastic, play like butter, and sound great, the coating on the E... right above the third fret... has begun to peel away! I've informed the store where I got them, and the owner/friend says he will try and get me a replacement string directly from Elixer...