1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

which fuzz pedal affects the higher frequencies the most?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SlightlyaBanana, Aug 16, 2012.

1. SlightlyaBanana

SlightlyaBanana

May 11, 2012
    which fuzz pedal affects the higher frequencies the most?
    woulld a fuzz octave add an octave above and only affect that octave above?

thanks

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    So-called "octave fuzzes" create an extremely distorted fuzzed octave up sound, but they are not surgically making a clean upper octave and only fuzzing it--they are distorting the whole signal to create their effect.

Multi-band distortion/fuzz pedals from Iron Ether, FEA, and a couple other brands are designed to have completely separate amounts of distortion on the lows, mids, and highs.

You could run a clean octave-up effect (EHX POG for example) into its own fuzz, and then use a blender (Boss LS-2 for ex) to mix that with your clean signal.

3. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    The EHX BMS has a dirty octave up that sounds great but there's no way to add more fuzz without effecting the original signal as well unless you use a separate blender and fuzz.

4. SlightlyaBanana

SlightlyaBanana

May 11, 2012
    what blender would you suggest?

5. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I have no first hand knowledge of blenders but I always thought the [sfx] crossover blender looked like a brilliant idea. I gather that it's currently out of production however.

6. G3Mitch

G3Mitch

Feb 8, 2011
    New Zealand
    this is exactly what i do. and it sounds = :bassist: