Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Which Fuzz Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thewickedcool, Feb 11, 2006.

1. :help: I've never used any sort of distortion pedal on my bass before, but I'm would really like to start trying some blues with it. I'm looking for a more fuzzy, white stripes/black keys kind of sound, where I'm not completely concerned with the ideal tone, but I would still like to get enough lows to provide a good foundation. I play a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass, and I would really like to keep the cost under $150. Any reccomendations would be really greatly appreciated. Thanks!:D

2. Well im not sure where abouts your from, so i cant help that much with the price. But, i think the EHX Big Muff is pretty much the standard fuzz pedal these days. Theres lots of other options too though. PE Depth charge, Brown Dog, Wooly Mammoth, Fulltone, etc etc.

Best advice i can give you is to go out and try some for yourself and let your ears decide.

Also check out the distortion mega thread. Or just do a search. This is a pretty common topic so you should find heaps of information.

Peace,
    Blake

3. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    I use an EHX big muff, tis great for fuzz

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 to what Chips said, most particularly the part about trying different ones and listening to them. Everybody has a different idea of what a good fuzz or distortion should sound like.

5. I'd say EHX English Muff'n or maybe an Effector 13 Torn's Peaker.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Can't vouch for the E13, but the English Muff'n is about $180 USD.

In the price range, I personally use an EHX Big Muff Pi, and have used the English Muff'n in the past. Both great pedals, but I'd say the Big Muff is more the standard, though not what I would ever think to use playing blues. But that's me.

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't know...

I've seen plenty of blues bassists use a Gibson EB bass and overload 15's or 18's to get the same type of frompy, tuba-ish sound that a Big Muff Pi is capable of.

From that perspective, a Muff makes sense.

FWIW I agree with Tim, as far as the Muff being the standard.

8. that Torn's Speaker is NAAAASSSTY RAUNCHY FUZZ.

9. ive listend to the clips before. Its damn cool. But IMO it would be hard to use musically. Be great for dirrty, nasty, raunchy, balls'n'all passages and stuff tho!

10. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
  11. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    Frantone Lotone Classic Fuzz

12. skunkrawk

skunkrawk

Apr 25, 2003
    DC
    check out a zoom ultra fuzz if you can find one on ebay or something, i bought one a month ago on the bay and love it. it's versatile because of all of the controls and works well with active basses, unlike a lot of fuzzes that work well only with passive basses. the gate control could get you some of the sounds that i would think are fitting for music like the white stripes. plus if you're into noise or experimenting, it can self oscillate and make a cool noise that sounds a lot like a theremin. -dave

13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I recently tried a GK Deisel Dawg, and I can't seem to get it off my mind. The tone was versitile and killer, and I can't believe how quiet it is for such high-gain distortion sound. And the low-end? Well, it's made by GK - I don't think we can expect them to be neglecting solid lows anytime soon.

I'm going to buy one of those. Very fine fuzz.

Joe

14. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Another vote for the Muff....it does a really good job at what I think you're looking for.

Also, don't overlook the Boss ODB-3...I've got one and it does a fine job as well...a little bit of distortion, but mostly fuzz.

15. hey Joe (where you going with that gun in your hand..) I thought the diesel dawg was a distortion and not a fuzz. Can you get clips? Im damn interested in it.