1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which head do I need?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ~Ethan~, May 9, 2010.

1. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

Dec 3, 2008
    Abilene, TX
    Just to get it out there, I'm not very savy when it comes to amps, so bear with me. I want to eventually buy and ashdown mag 410 and a mag 115 but I'm not sure what head to get. Brand does not concern me too much just as long as it's cheap. I'll will be purchasing the 410 first and I currently own a GK backline 250 head. Will this be enough? And would it be possibe to combine the two?

Thanks!

2. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Why don't you just get another 4x10 instead of the 1x15?

As for cheap heads, Peavey and Traynor are both inexpensive. Other GK stuff I don't think is absurdly pricey.

3. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

Dec 3, 2008
    Abilene, TX
    I would like to have the larger 15 for lower... low end. :ninja:

4. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    A 4x10 has more low end then a fifteen. There's some threads around here that explain speaker size stuff.

I have a GK backline four by ten and it does the job nicely enough. It is eight ohm and was only three hundred dollars.

5. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    do a search of "better lows/more lows, 410's, etc" you may find that the 1x15 does not give you the better lows you feel it may. I used to run a Ashdown ABM 500RC into a SWR Goliath 410 + SWR SOB 115 a few years ago.

Each great cabs but I found myself using just the 410 more often and getting better, cleaner low end. The 115 just sorta seem to get in the way, fart out and mud-up things more than help....really. Now 2x410's will just totally kill.

Even now I sometimes use Eden 210xlt (8ohms) + 410xlt (4 ohms) with just a Genz Benz Neopak or for outdoors Carvin B1500 for a balanced 610 setup. But I mostly just use 410xlt w/Markbass F1 + VT pedal, so awesome. But that's me.

6. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Well Mate I Dont know if i would be looking at a 15 for lower low end. I thought the same thing and bought a 15 to add to my 410 and yeah it sounded ok and was round but to tell you the truth it really did not give me any more low end and would fart like you had been feeding it beans all day..lol.... thats why i bought another 410 which i should of done in the first place... Man The 810's blow the 410/115 setup right out of the water when it come to volume and Low end. The 410's have way more Punch and ground shaking low end then my poor lil 15" speaker had. But hey that what happened to me... just thought i would share it with you!! and now when it comes to heads i would look into ether the gk 700rb II or 1001rb II. I have the 1001rb II and WOW if you want something that has endless Head Room and is as Loud as any 1000 watt head out there then you have got to try that head. By far the Best Head I have ever used!!! Will not be disappointed at all!! Anyways I will End it there Best Of Luck Cheers Mate!!!~Elliot

7. ~Ethan~

~Ethan~

Dec 3, 2008
    Abilene, TX
    See? I told you I'm not speaker savy. lol

Well, then that's about $250 that can go towards a head then! So a 410 should be more than enough to keep up with a guitar half stack right?

8. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    I might keep up ok IF you have some pa Support depending on what kinda guitar stack you playing with. Thats Why I went with 810's dont have to rely on P.A Support....i can scare the Poor full stack guitarist all By My Self...lol :p

9. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

Or two 410's. Think about it. A 410 has twice the speaker area of a single 15. It's just going to drown it out anyway.

10. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    rant on.
    There's another thread kinda like this up the page a bit. I don't get why people on a budget go for an 8 ohm 4x10 and then ask what head to get. You're screwing yourself. Get a decent 4 ohm 2x12 or 4x10 instead, (I'd suggest Avatar over Ashdown Mag stuff) unless you have the money for either twice as many cabs, or a head that starts out at 600 watts or so @ 8 ohms. /off rant.