Which input should I use?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by erikwhitton, Feb 7, 2004.

1. erikwhitton

erikwhitton Guest

Sep 20, 2002
    Portland, ME USA
    Generally speaking - if an amp has a hi-gain and a low-gain input - which should i use? I am playing a Kay with a K&K Bass Max p/u.

On another note - I have found that my Tech 21 Bass Compressor (basically a pedal-style compressor) evens out my tone better than my K&K Pure Preamp. It's also more comfortable/convienant. Does this compressor serve the same purpose as the pre-amp in terms of tweaking the ohmage so it should be ok to go straight into an amp? Just wondering - obviously my ears are the best judge but I would like to know the scientific choice as well. Thanks

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    A compressor is designed to automatically level a signal in accordance with your settings. I know the Tech 21 Bass Sansamp has a 940K input impedance, high enough for most piezo-based pickups and fine for the Bass Max.

The Low Gain input is usually better suited for use with an external preamp, as they are typically designed for active basses-- those with preamps. However, if your external device does not have a high signal output, the High Gain input can also be ok. If you get the slightest hint of distortion on louder, and usually lower notes, then I'd use the Low Gain. The K&K preamps have an internal control that adjusts the preamp gain potential from approx 1x to 10x, so its (and other device's gain) position will also dictate which input is best.