1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which language should I learn?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HGS, Apr 25, 2010.

Which language?

Poll closed Apr 30, 2010.
  1. Arabic

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. German

22 vote(s)
    32.8%
  3. Russian

5 vote(s)
    7.5%
  4. Italian

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. French

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  6. Dutch

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Japanese

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Mandarin

10 vote(s)
    14.9%
  9. Greek

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  10. Korean

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  11. Czech

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Polish

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  13. Portuguese

3 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. HGS

HGS

Mar 31, 2010
    USA
    I just created a livemocha account and these are the languages I want to learn. I can't decide which to learn first so I'm gonna let this poll decide for me. Which would you recommend?

2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Spanish or French.

3. XtreO

XtreO

Jan 2, 2008
    Norway
    If you don't like Spanish, then I suggest you don't learn French or Italian. Go with some germanic language in that case.

4. I guess it depends on which type you want to master first. Spanish, French and Italian are similar and has similarities to English and that may aid you in learning them faster if you do them one after another. Russian, Polish etc. would be cool. Learning Mandarin would be really hard...

5. Spanish, im so badass

6. I'm not very experienced with Livemocha, but it's gonna take far more than an online community to truly learn any of these languages.
    I know both Arabic and Spanish, and I would recommend both, but only if you're really committed to it.

7. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Alta Loma, California
    Swahili. Definitely Swahili.

8. warwick.hoy

warwick.hoy

Aug 20, 2006
    Spokane, WA.
    Beta Tester: Source Audio.
    I voted German. Despite there being a lot of Latin in the technical fields which suggests a lot of similarity between Spanish and English, however English is not a Romance language; English is a very Germanic language. I'm no expert but it appears to me that there are more similarities between English and German than any other language. If you want to learn a different language I'd say that German would probably be a good beginner language, no conjugating the verb confusion.

That said I want to learn Japanese but that is because I intend to visit the Land of the Rising Sun sometime before I die.

9. French

10. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Japanese is not too hard.

In terms of usefulness over the next 10 or so years, Chinese (Mandarin) would probably be the most useful.

Be prepared to work your ass off though. I have Mandarin speaking parents and i still struggle with Mandarin.

11. I have no experience with Livemocha, but, frankly, if you're doing it just to learn something new, I'd do go out the options and suggest Hindi or Icelandic (ready to help you with the former :)) I suggest these purely for the novelty factor.

If you're going to apply your learning to a real world scenario, I think French, German or Japanese could be useful.

On a personal level I'm currently learning Russian and I love it! :cool:

12. Learn a language you will need. If you want to read German literature in the original language, that's a good enough excuse. I live in Russia, so I head to learn Russian. Lived in France so I learned French. Etc.

If you want to learn a language just for fun, do some research, listen to some and pick the one you like most for whatever reasons.

For fun, I'd learn a click language. :p Only problem with those languages: how do you shout?

13. Learn German. If I can pass German II it can't be that hard.

14. Mortiis

Mortiis Banned

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    That's because English is a Germanic language, thank the Saxons for that. We have quite a few latin words because of the Romans . Hurray for invasion!

15. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    Jeder soll Deutsch wissen

16. English, mother ******! Do you speak it?

Attached Files:

17. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Serbian, ofcourse!

18. Mortiis

Mortiis Banned

Apr 24, 2010
    UK
    I hear there's an expert around here somewhere...

19. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Korean! (or whatever language they speak there)

Korea (South) is a beatiful country. I'd love to travel there someday.

20. I'm picking up some Latin in my spare time. Did French in high school, but can't remember much of it. Got some of the basics of Italian from working with Italians for a summer :) .