1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which one of these amps should i get

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by manchildjr, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Vintage Peavey 400 series

98 vote(s)
    96.1%
  2. New Behringer BVT5500H

4 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. manchildjr

manchildjr

Jun 12, 2012
  2. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Personally,I'd go with the Peavey. They sound good and are built like tanks. Can't really say that about that other one.

3. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Banned

Jan 20, 2011
    If you go elsewhere on the www you'll find enough negative reviews on behringer products to make you pass on anything from that brand.

4. Aye, Behringer don't have much of a rep for bass gear.

Looks like someone snaffled the Peavey aleady. Not to worry, there are always good amps going for $200 in the TB classifieds.

If buying from far away GC have them send to your local store. Unpack there and test.

5. Eric Swaim

Eric Swaim GOD, U.S. MIlitary, Country Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Murfreesboro, TN
    The last Peavey Mark III bass head I bought was shipped in the box with no padding/packaging (the seller was a "wanker" for doing that) and it fired right as it should. Other brands I would not have trusted to live through such an ordeal. I rather have the Peavey than a Behringer any day.

6. Peaveys have a reputation for being built like tanks. Pretty much the opposite of Behringer's reputation as far as reliability goes.

7. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    Peavey all the way. I had some Behringer gear a few years ago. Complete garbage.

The last time I had a Peavey was in the early 90s. Definitely built like a tank. It did a lot of gigs, survived being dropped and never flinched. That said it's not my favorite tone wise but it does get the the job done.

8. arai

arai Banned

Jul 16, 2007
    I would go with the Peavey too. Solid and you an always count on it to perform.
    The Behringer, even though it has good features and probably sounds great, it looks like an ampeg clone so it will probably be unreliable

9. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Can't loose with the Peavey.. Made in the USA and built to last forever. Back when everything peavey made was bullit proof

10. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I've used Behringer bass amps for years and I've been able to push them very hard and they never broke. There are a lot of people here who hate Behringer and will cringe and go into fits even hearing the name. I have a Behringer bass amp I sold to a kid three years ago, he bangs it around, plays it wayyy too loud, and the built in limiter has saved him many times.

Conversely, I've used Peavey bass amps for 30 years on and off. They truly are built like tanks. I have a Peavey Minx 1986 that I still use for small lounges and coffee shop type gigs, heavy for it's size but excellent reliability and tone. I don't know about the new Peavey Max line because they're made in China like everything else.

There are a lot of good Peavey heads on eBay, but make sure you check the seller's ratings. Don't touch anything under 100% positive feedback. You'll fall into a good deal.

As for the Behringer you have posted above, that particular model has some people here seeing red because it's considered a direct rip off of the Ampeg SVT, except solid state. I played this one a while back through a 410 cab and it did rattle walls.

If you should decide to get the Behringer over the Peavey, make sure you do register the product properly and push it as hard as you can in the first 30 days.

Check the OHM's on your cabs, also bear in mind you're mixing brands and speakers. Doesn't bother most but make sure you push the entire system hard to try and make it fail before the first 30 days are in order. DISCLAIMER: Lol, don't be too ridiculous, just push it as you would at a loud band performance, and maybe a touch more. Not unreasonable.

Good luck!

11. low2groove

low2groove Tyranis 4 / Lower Groove Guitars

Jan 21, 2007
    I don't like anything about Behringer so I'd most certainly go with the Peavey if those are your 2 choices.

12. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I don't like Behringer for anything with moving parts (speakers) or anything that makes power (amps). I find that their products that process signal are usually an ok buy for the money. My bass V-Amp pro was a great buy for me at 169 bucks. The Behringer DIs my church uses have been great for 33 bucks apiece. My buddy's behringer bass head stinks out loud and every combo or cab of theirs I've ever played through sucked.

13. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Musician is a GUITAR amp, with reverb, etc.

This one is newer, less expensive and a BASS amp:

Peavey Mark IV link