1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

which P-Bass ... both '58 reissues

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by almadillo, Nov 26, 2017.

1. almadillo

almadillo Supporting Member

May 18, 2015
    North New Jersey
    sigh ... this started over on the '58 FSR thread ... now I have a decision to make.

I do need a P-Bass, this will be my only one. I love the look of both of these ... the natural roasted one is a Limited Edition so if I don't buy now, I may never have one. The white one should be more available going forward. Pics below ....

I live overseas (in Asia) and will only be in the US for 1 week in December. No chance at all to play either before and deciding/buying. So 100% buying online.

My current stable of basses is a black Fender Jazz (2015 or 2016), a 2015 Sandberg TM2 (wood finish), and 2 Sandberg Custom fretlesses (also wood finish). So the P-Bass in natural is similar in color/looks to the TM2. The white P-Bass would stand out.

Any advice on which one to get or other options to consider? This is taking longer to decide than it should take ....

Fender FSR Limited Roasted Ash '58 Precision Bass. Fender American Vintage '58 Precision Bass White Blonde.

Thanks!
    AG

2. Tough choice. I like them both. But if I was to think of resale down the line, the roasted/limited ed. one would make the most sense. It seems Fenders Limited Ed. always fetch more in resale.... Unless they bomb!

oMetaloHead, Pet Sounds and Tbone76 like this.
  3. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I own a 57' AVRI in white. It's the best P bass I've ever played.

I gotta say, I dig the FSR roasted, but I don't understand why it's a 58' reissue. Fender didn't do anything even remotely similar to that in 1958.

fretter, joebar, Mastermold and 2 others like this.
  4. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I personally like the white, over the natural... will you be playing it, or creating a shrine for it? No clue as to which would fetch more, if you're thinking the LE would be worth more, later on. Good luck with your decision, and safe travels!

Billyzoom likes this.
  5. Vinnie Boombatz

Vinnie Boombatz Banned

May 26, 2010
    White blonde, just because it looks so darn sweet. The other one to me just looks like someone took an old vintage bass and ruined it by stripping the original finish and staining it themselves walnut.

Ghastly, quickfix and joebar like this.
  6. dukeorock

dukeorock Owner BNA Audio Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2011
    Nashville, TN
    Authorized greenboy designs builder/Owner of BNA Audio
    They both look amazing to me. The white one is closer to what you would've seen 'back in the day,' but the roasted is very cool and will likely have higher resale (as was said earlier). I wouldn't be bummed to own either one, personally :)

Pet Sounds, munkeyfish and Cool Bass like this.
  7. almadillo

May 18, 2015
    North New Jersey
    I'm not thinking on resale value ... this would just be to play. No gigging ... just home and some garage jams.

Still undecided ....

8. Cool Bass

Cool Bass Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2013
    California
    I have both, and both are nice. Other than looks, the roasted ash is a little lighter. I do prefer the look of the blonde. Also, the gold anodized pickguard on the blonde I have is smoother (fingernail test) than the black one on the roasted ash (think fingernail on a chalkboard). You could just sell your organs like I did and get both:D.

almadillo likes this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Just flip a coin and live with the outcome. It's not like you could go wrong with either one just so long as you know for a fact that you are in love with the wide vintage 1 3/4 inch nut and 7 1/4 inch neck radius. You need to know for a fact that is exactly what you want.

Billyzoom likes this.
  10. Fender plays a little fast and loose with their year-id-reissues. On this I think it's essentially just marketing the name. My guess is they thought they would sell better attaching a '58 to the name.

petrus61 and Dave W like this.
  11. To my knowledge Fender has never mass produced roasted maple guitars and basses until this year. That's reason enough to break the tie IMO. But it's your bass so up to you. ;)

almadillo likes this.
  12. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    I say the roasted for sure!!! I bet that bare wood neck feels so nice - probably like an Ernie Ball neck finish. It also looks amazing and in a few years will be ultra rare. You will be able to get the white any time for years to come.

I was about to get the 58 in white about a month ago but got the 63 in sonic blue instead. I am very, very happy with the choice I made, as I feel the 63 looks better than both of these but that roasted 58 is really amazing.

almadillo likes this.
  13. almadillo

May 18, 2015
    North New Jersey
    We have a winner... Thanks for breaking the tie!
    Roasted it shall be ... now to pick a nice one.

Cheers!

14. almadillo

May 18, 2015
    North New Jersey
    Yup.
    I'm sold ... Thanks!
    Get the white later .... ;)

15. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    Roasted, hands down x 10.

16. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Gees, they are both beautiful. It's your money, pick the one you like the best. I've always been partial to White w/anodized pickguard but that's just me.

Gluvhand likes this.
  17. Not just you.

18. almadillo

May 18, 2015
    North New Jersey
    .... done ...
    went with the roasted

AngelCrusher likes this.
  19. Enjoy it!

20. almadillo

May 18, 2015
    North New Jersey
    lol ... I still had to decide which one .... 14 were still on reverb!

Cool Bass likes this.