1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Which Song Introduced Grunge To The Mainstream?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Altitude, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

150 vote(s)
    93.8%
  2. Pearl Jam, "Even Flow"

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  3. Smashing Pumpkins, "Cherub Rock"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Soundgarden, "Spoonman"

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  5. Other - write-in

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    Which tune do you think was most important in establishing grunge as a mainstream musical genre in the early 1990s?

2. Dmanlamius

Dmanlamius

Feb 24, 2008
    Folkestone
    Teen Spirit, without a doubt...

Before that it was just bubbleing away below the surface.

3. I'd say Nivanna brought it with Teen Spirit. I remember seeing the trashy cheerleaders jumping and the guys in the background with their instruments hanging down to their knees. That's when all these other bands like Pearl Jam and Sound Garden started popping up, right after that video and song got played to death on MTV and the radio.

4. Same way all this emo shoot started with MCR and "Helena."

5. I was actually an emo junkie, before it was called emo back in '94. I was into bands like Samiam, All, Jaw Breaker, Fugazi, etc. A few years later I found out that all these bands went to major labels and thus the whole "emo" thing was birthed. I was devastated since I thought all that stuff was for us skateboarders, not a bunch of depressed suburban boys wearing girl's pants.

6. Ok, let me rephrase it as "Reborn" :p

7. Wasn't "Alive" released before "Even Flow"?

8. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    I remember working at the college radio station when '...Teen Spirit' became *the* hit - seemingly overnight we grew our listeners tenfold because of that song.

9. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I heard Alive before any of the others around here. In fact, a friend called up to say he heard "our" new song on the radio. Wasn't ours, it was Alive. Then I had to track it down.

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Teen Spirit was definitely the song that introduced Grunge to the general population. I know that's how I found out about it.:)

11. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    I always assumed Touch Me I'm Sick had been a hit in the states - wasn't it? Most of the people I knew in the UK had that single, but they had to import them at ludicrous prices.

12. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
    Nope, that's one of the greatest tracks never to hit in the USA. I still have that one in heavy rotation on my iPod.

I suspect it was a bit too much of a novelty song for the U.S. charts (which never treat such tunes with much respect).

13. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I guess I'm still not hip as to what "emo" really means, because I dug Samiam and LOVED Fugazi (well, still do) and I never knew they were predecessors.

14. Yes, "Alive" was their first single, not "EvenFlow".

But yeah "Teen Spirit" is the song that opened the floodgates.

15. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Before "Teen Spirit" it was all hair and party pop on the charts.

16. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Definitely "Teen Spirit". Why is "Spoonman" on your list? That came out in 94.

17. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I thought it was Neil Young's Tonights The Night.:bag::D;)

18. Dmanlamius

Dmanlamius

Feb 24, 2008
    Folkestone
    Yea, on Superunknown.

I think that "Rusty cage" or "Jesus Christ pose" might have been a better choice.:)

19. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Smashing Pumpkins.. heh.

Grunge comes from Seattle! Everyone knows that!

20. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't think it's up for debate: Teen Spirit brought Grunge to the mainstream.