Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Who has the largest bass collection here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flashboom, May 21, 2011.

1. flashboom

flashboom

Apr 4, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    The late John Entwistle was said to have a collection of over 200 instruments, according to Wikipedia (which may have included non-bass instruments as well). I've seen some impressive collections here on TB so I was wondering what the largest collection might be. For the purposes of this thread, let's limit it to personal collections and basses only (any number of strings is okay). Rather than everybody posting their collections, I'll start with number 200 and drop down every day or two until we have a winner. The winner will be humbly asked to submit a picture of all or part of their collection. As for a prize, they will win the praise (and envy) of TalkBassers the world over. Ready, then let's begin:

So who is the new John Entwistle? Anybody out there with 200 or more basses?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Tom BOwlus likely gets the prize for amps.
    Not sure for basses.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Metal Bassist

Metal Bassist

Nov 6, 2010
    Wales, UK
    I have 2, Just 198 to go.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    i have 9, with a broken 10th that's going to get restored this summer. i at least beat out metal bassist ;)

6. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    I beat JimmyM with 12 and one on the way.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    i am a mere piker compared to some folks on here. otoh, i kind of miss the days when i only had one bass. made deciding what to bring to the gig a lot easier.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Let's face it, most of us grown ups have too much gear.

9. Metal Bassist

Metal Bassist

Nov 6, 2010
    Wales, UK
    I only need two, one passive with flatwounds for more relaxing music and a roundwounded active for metal. It would be nice to get a better passive though.

10. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    If I had 200 instruments, I would constantly be nervous.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    let's face it...if we had to, we could all get away with just one.

12. Tevatron

Tevatron

May 14, 2011
    Raleigh, NC
    I only own three, at the moment, but, I bet I've lusted for more basses than anyone else here...

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    I used to know a guy who had 53 handmade instruments. He was a high end house builder, every house at an "item" for wood in the materials list

wood: $5,000
    wood: $4,500

get the idea. A few years back he was forced to sell many if not all of them

14. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    And busy changing strings. Actually you'd be changing strings constantly. By the time you went through all 200, the first one would already need a string change :)

15. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Wu Swedgin hang dai Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Columbus, GA
    Not this one, I'm starting over after 8 years off. So Metal Bassist has me beat by one. It's kind of liberating, actually.

Wait, did I just admit to being a grown up?

16. JdoubleH

JdoubleH Wu Swedgin hang dai Supporting Member

Jul 10, 2008
    Columbus, GA
    Just out of curiosity, how often do YOU change strings? My last P went more than a decade without a string change ;)

17. jlepre

jlepre Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    I used to have 9, but actually sold ALL of them off when I was out of work for almost 2 years. I have since bought 2, and would never want/need any more. "YEAH RIGHT":D

18. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have 30, but i know that's not anywhere near as many as some TB'rs have.

19. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Most I ever owned at once was eleven during my period of collecting vintage basses. Just three "players" now, along with my old '66 Guild Starfire from my youth.

20. SMILEYSIXX

SMILEYSIXX

Dec 29, 2009
    Wow, I guess five is a pretty meaningless number on this forum

21. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    I believe (or at least hope) that you were just kidding about that "decade without a string change".

I change my strings regularly only when I am gigging regularly. And that's every 5th or 6th gig, So if I play three times a week, I change the strings twice a month. Otherwise I change my strings at least once in a month or two, depending on their condition.