1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

who is making a powered cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassGreaser, Sep 25, 2010.

1. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I am looking at getting a powered cab to use with an Almebic F1 preamp.. i cant seem to find any. I am looking at either a 1x15, or the like..

2. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    The only powered bass cabs that come to mind are the Bergantino IP series and Phil Jones powered extension cabs.

There are numerous powered PA cabs on the market, but I don't know which ones have been used successfully by electric bassists.

3. RTL

RTL Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    The Berg IP series are flat-out amazing. If you've got a great pre (which you do), you'll be in heaven.

4. BassGreaser

BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I went to Berg's site and looked at the 1x12 which looks great. Does anyone know if the Mesa Boogie Scout Bass Radiator 1x15 is a powered cab?

5. Infidelity

Infidelity Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Melbourne, FL
    I agree go with Bergantino..

6. 78bass

78bass Guest

Jan 20, 2007
    Mark Bass and Bag End as well.

7. Vetchking

Vetchking Inactive

Mar 17, 2008
    President G.P.G. Co. "acoustic" USA

Vetchking@aol.com Here:

"acoustic" USA is making powered cabs.

Have a great day............... Later

8. Jazzdogg

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    May I ask which models are available, and their driver compliments and amplifier power?

I'm looking at:
    http://acousticamplification.com/index.cfm

and cannot find a model-by-model comparison - just a list to explore via trial and error.

9. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
    Tech 21 had a 60 watt 12" Landmark powered cab.
    Forge makes powered cabs, but I hear they"re tri-amped, so not sure how they'll work out.

If I had a nice preamp, and wanted a powered cab, I'd get a combo amp that has an effects loop, and run into the power section. There are plenty combo units with varying power and speaker combinations.

10. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    The JBL Eon powered 15" with titanium tweeter would be very nice choice imo. Or a pair of the JBL Eon 10" for same air movement and mini stereo or dual monitor speaker pair.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    There were two IP-112s at the San Diego GTG last week. Wow. Just wow. Bass San Diego carries them. (No affiliation.)

12. Nightlyraider

Nightlyraider

Sep 30, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Fairly sure that Bag End has a single powered 15.

13. I believe the IP's are no longer in production. The Mesa cabs are not available in powered version.

There are SO many lightweight, high powered, low cost power amps available now, that I would not limit myself to self powered cabs at this point.

14. tat2jim

tat2jim

Sep 13, 2007
    ATL via NYC
  15. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Wow, it comes in Candy Apple Red. :hyper:

It has a line out... so you can link more of them togheter?
    I suppose it would work well to use a Sansamp Character Series pedal as preamp.

16. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Inactive Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Tech 21. They have a new series I believe. Readily available.

17. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    They do. And the Bag End internal power amp system (1000w @ 4ohms, 500 @8ohms) can be installed on other BE models as well. I talked to BE's tech support about powering a second, non-powered cab off a powered cab's amp. They agreed it's entirely doable, but they don't wire them to allow it. Too bad.

I've looked around and found quite a few "strap on" power amps in the PA supply houses. It'd be nice to see more powered cabs, though - I hate carrying power amps.

18. Uhh, the Acoustic 361 reissue? Crap, Vetchking beat me to it.

19. Jazzdogg

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Great to know. The last time I visisted Bass San Diego, they didn't have any Berg cabs, and they haven't listed IP cabs on their website; sounds like it's time for another visit!