Who makes a 30" shortscale flatwound low B?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Krucial, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Krucial

Krucial

May 25, 2010
    Netherlands
    Hi there,

Right now I play 34" 4 string, mostly tuned DCGF.
    I'm thinking about buying a Mensinger Cazpar 5 string (a 30" shortscale) and tuning it like a "normal" fiver BEADG.
    The one thing holding me back is the fact that I can't find a shortscale flatwound B.
    Anyone know a company that makes them?

2. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    A 30" bass with a low B most likely wont be very nice to play, the lack of tension will make the string very floppy. You maybe able to make it slightly better by getting a very heavy gauge set. You probably already knew that, just thought I would say anyway :).

Try circle K strings

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    To get the same tension as a .125 on a 34" you'd need about a .135 on a 30"

< edited for stoopid math error :( >.

4. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Indie sold by Rondo

5. Krucial

Krucial

May 25, 2010
    Netherlands
    I'm aware off the tension issues. But I happen to like both thick strings and low tension. This is one of the reasons I mostly tune DGCF on my 34". (The others are the fact that I sometimes need to go below the E, and the fact that I have small hands and some wrist ploblems)
    A thing to realise is that with some playing style the low tension is an absolute no go; like slapping, playing with a pick or aggressive playing, but in some styles, like light touch fingerstyle, it can be very pleasant (especially when playing flats, because to me they allways feel a litlle bit stiffer than rounds)

On my main bass, I now have the Chromes 0.50-1.05 and the strings does't feel floppy at all. On a 30" tuned EADG using the same gauge the tensions would be similar. However the shortscale Chromes come in the gauges 0.45-1.00 and GHS makes shortscale flats with even a lighter gauge (0.45-0.95)!?!

I would be very please if one of them would make a 1.30 or 1.35 30"low B, wich I think would fit with the rest of the set. But, too bad, they don't.

Thanx for the input so far, but (so far I know) Circle K doesn't make shortscale or flatwounds (besides they are allmost impossible to buy over here in the Netherlands).
    I searched for Indie strings, but I only found a shortscale 4 string set (0.45-1.05).

Still hoping that there is one brave manufacturer for my low B.

Another option could be to try to put the 34" 1.32 Chrome on the 30" bass, WITHOUT breaking the string in the headstock.
    Anyone ever succeded is this?

6. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Before I could find readily available flats for a couple of my 4 string 30" scale basses I would use 34" scale strings and crimp a lug several inches above the ball end on the E and A strings and then cut off the excess between the lug and the ball end to shorten them.

The lug became the new string anchor at the bridge and the tuner post end of the string was still intact. It seems to work well enough, I still have a couple strung with those modded strings for several years.

7. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Exactly what "lug" did you use? I've seen this mentioned before but wouldn't think a soft copper electrical lug would hold?

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    What I used looks like this:

20056151545476180636_insulated_lugs.jpg

But I removed the plastic insulation.

9. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    And the "loop" too I assume? Guess I'll have to try that out - I'm jonesin' for a .125 "E" for my Mikro :) .

10. Krucial

Krucial

May 25, 2010
    Netherlands
    Very smart! This, with the 1.32 chrome and the shortscale 4 set will do!
    Thanx a lot!

11. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Wow, that 1.32" string will cover most of the fretboard :eek: .

;)

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Actually I just bent the loop back over the string end to act as a guard so I wouldn't scrape myself on the sharp end of the string.

13. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I could easily be wrong, but I thought Circle K would make you most gauges and lengths of strings. Maybe an email would be worth a go for you.

quote: On my main bass, I now have the Chromes 0.50-1.05 and the strings does't feel floppy at all. On a 30" tuned EADG using the same gauge the tensions would be similar.

:confused: not sure I get what you mean there.

14. OrionManMatt

OrionManMatt

Feb 17, 2004
    Houston
    I think owners of Rob Allen basses or Owen Biddle and his custom Callowhill would suggest otherwise.

Try LaBella Strings or Rob's custom sets:
    http://www.roballenguitars.com/store.html

NinjaPyrate likes this.
  15. Krucial

Krucial

May 25, 2010
    Netherlands
    Uh... I know, didn't I mention I like thick strings...

16. Krucial

Krucial

May 25, 2010
    Netherlands
    You're right, I'll send an email, but as far as I know they still don't make flatwounds.

What I ment with the confusing tension story is: with the 34" bass, tuned DGCF the second fret is EADG and is about 30" from the bridge.

17. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Exactly, I used that to good advantage recovering from an arm injury many years ago by detuning a whole step and using a capo at the second fret. That worked fine until I could afford to get a shortscale.

18. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Ah, I get you...I wasnt sure what you meant before

If they bought the bass, I'm sure they would ;). As they would be expecting the lack of tension (which will be present) I just thought a warning might be necessary.

19. Krucial

Krucial

May 25, 2010
    Netherlands
    Yep, I had a wrist injury and 'shortened' my bass the same way. I then found out that the lower tension, suited my sound better (more thump) and started tuning DGCF. The low D also saved me from having to go to a fiver (wich I now want to start on a recreational basis).

20. aussietc

aussietc

Apr 14, 2010
    Exactly what steps are involved in this process. I want to make sure I don't waste a $50 set of strings. I want to shorten some flat wounds on the E and B strings for a short scale fiver.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021