1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Who plays with a really low action? Pics please?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by THany, Oct 14, 2019.

1. THany

THany Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Can someone post me pics of their low action bass , so I can see how close the strings are to the fretboard?
    Im having trouble lowering the strings o my ibanez sr800 ( yes, I know I should take it to someone who knows.. not possible at the moment, I opened a thread about it, but nothing seam to help.... ) I just wanna see with my own eyes
    HOW LOW CAN YOU GO
    (Without a buzz and a bow)
    Thanks

2. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Low action is completely subjective and can be achieved on most any bass in degrees of "low". If you prefer such - just do it. It's not a contest to see who 'has the lowest action' - why? What's the point? Who cares?

If you want to know how it's achieved - there are you-tube tutorials and lots written on the subject. A little research goes a long way.

3. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    In my opinion, the magic of low action is having some small degree of buzz tamed and integrated into your technique that adds a nice growl when properly controlled

dabis, bassboysam, bassomane and 36 others like this.
  4. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    You might require a shim to raise the neck relative to the bridge.

Personally I like to go as low as possible, but it can be a pain in the ass to maintain as subtle changes in weather can cause the neck bow, which, in turn requires truss rod changes to keep the action perfect. The truss wheel on musicmans really helps with this and is a reason why the action on my Bongo is always perfect.

Gnal, djaxup, LowActionHero and 7 others like this.
  5. THany

THany Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Of course its not a contest, I know about all the videos and researched a lot, but still, I just wanna see a genuine pic. I hope you dont mind

projectapollo, metermech, lat and 4 others like this.
  6. THany

THany Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Thank you for the answer. And I do feel changes all the times..
    And yes of course the neck and all, I just cant do it.. lol... too high for me..

7. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Oceana (Pacifica) CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe

jfh2112, Ellery, BigDanT and 4 others like this.
  8. THany

THany Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Havent wavhed it yet but I understand what you mean, bc I had a bass for a week that was like that

9. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Lol....nice to know I'm in good company

10. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    To get apples-to-apples meaningful comparison, we need to know what brand and gauge of strings you use, and how you tune your bass. (EADG?) The string excursion as it vibrates does depend on string tension - which does depend on materials, construction, and gauges of the strings in question. Also : I'm not familiar with that model - is it 34" scale?

For sure, the question of "lowest possible action without string buzzing" has been an obsession of mine for several decades - but it depends A LOT on how hard and in what fashion you generally pluck the strings - as well as how much ( or little!) dynamic range you require from your instrument...

11. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Depends on string tension too. LaBella 1954 can be lower than almost any other string and not buzz

12. THany

THany Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    20191015_051845.
    Thank you all.
    Ibanez sr800 1992, 35-95 strings. Neck almost straight, Cant realy understand this eccocast bridge, that has 3 screws, but has to control 4 strings, I really did try to figure out for a long time... I cant... I took it to a guy who did "set up and raised it so high, I couldnt play, Now its a bit lower, bit still... like... too high

Guzzi Toad likes this.
  13. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    What Spazz said!

THany likes this.
  14. THany

THany Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    20191015_051845.
    Thanks, Its too high

dkelley and oaklandthumb like this.
  15. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    I've found the lower, the lighter. ... The lower the action the lighter the touch needs to be consistent. ... Since I play upright, there's only so low you can go before the board slap drives you crazy. ... And I find the same with fret-buzz, once it's in the way of a pure clear tone/note it's a distraction. ... Basses are designed to play with low action all the way up the neck, some take more work than others to get there.

16. THany

THany Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2019
    Israel
    Did you see the pic I sent?

17. mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    That pic is a little hard to decipher... Looks like maybe 4mm??
    I think you should shoot a bit lower to compensate for parallax, and usually in pics like that, the measuring ruler sits behind the string... Let me see if I can dig one up out of the archives...

18. singlemalt

singlemalt Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2007
    White Salmon, WA
    Ibanez Electric Basses Instruction Manual (Page 2 of 2)

This might help.

Sheldon Dingwall has an excellent set up video series on YouTube. While the hardware will be different the step by step process will be the same.

Your picture doesn’t show what fret you are measuring at, or if the string is pressed down to a fret or frets.

Low action starts with the truss rod. Holding the E string down on the first and last frets (lowest and highest) how much daylight is under the string at the 12th fret?

If it’s a lot, the truss rod needs tightening, to flatten the neck. 1-2 mm is what you want as a start.

Or if the string is hitting on the 12th fret, you have a backbow, and the truss rod needs to loosen until you see a bit of daylight, or relief. I think that’s unlikely with the set of light strings you describe.

Your truss rod should turn fairly easily in both directions.

If the neck is straight and flat, no twists or ski jumps at the end, you are ready to move on to the bridge.

If the bridge adjustments still don’t get you there, you’ll probably need a shim under the heel.

None of this is voodoo, gather up your tools and have at it. Just make sure you have the right Allen wrenches so you don’t strip and of the hardware. Take your time and it’ll come together.

Once you get the hang of it, you’ll be able to dial the action in to suit your playing style. Good luck!

19. mikewalker

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    20191014_195931.
    Here is a 30.75 scale bass (1981 Kramer Vanguard, aluminum neck) : seen here sitting at .070 inches (1.78 mm) @24th fret. That bass has excellent frets, and plays buzz free with fingers in standard tuning with my moderate-to-light touch ( I tend to dig in 'just a little'). Those are GHS pressure wounds, .040-.054-.076-.096

Tvrtko, Bassdirty, hintz and 2 others like this.
  20. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    You will have to look at it with your ears. You might get dozens or hundreds of pictures of low action, but that won't tell you how much relief the bass in the picture has or if it's anywhere near the amount of relief in the neck on your bass. String height off a specific fret is only 1/2 of the action equation.