1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why All The Hate for Jay Cutler?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jaywa, Apr 27, 2010.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Disclosure: Long-time Bears fan here.

Putting on my flame suit now, but I spend a fair amount of time on chat boards for the Bears and the NFL at large, and I'm astounded how much negativity is directed towards this guy.

Most recent example. Cutler was asked if he'd like to have Terrell Owens on the Bears. He said Owens is good but he doesn't think he'd be a fit. He also said he liked the WRs they have and is looking forward to working with them. Immediately the comments are that Cutler is naive, stupid, etc. when just a few months ago he was criticized for doing the exact thing (throwing his WRs under the bus in public) that he was expected to do now. Also:

- They say he's a hot-head, arrogant and demanding. Really? Or does he just want to win and expect his teammates to do likewise.

- They say he's stupid. Interesting, considering the first time he and Mike Martz met before Martz' hiring the first thing they did was find a chalkboard and work on plays. Oh by the way Martz -- widely considered one of the smartest coaches of the modern era -- categorized Cutler's intelligence as "intimidating."

- They say he's selfish. Yet not once last year did he complain publicly when the worst OL in the league had him running for his life (when he wasn't rushing throws and/or getting hit).

- They say he's a loser. Chrissakes he played for freakin Vanderbilt. Losing is just part of the deal there. Denver's D was atrocious and Chicago's was no better. I personally think the Bears would not have won more than 3 games last year without him.

OK, I'll admit, I cursed him out loud several times last season for his ridiculous interceptions, way too often in the red zone. But I also saw him make throws I haven't seen any Chicago QB make my whole life and probably not more than 1 or 2 other QBs in the league today could make.

My theory is that Chicago fans hate him because we he cost us two 1st round drafts (which our moron GM would have wasted anyway), and he didn't singlehandedly take us to the SuperBowl (irrespective of a terrible OL, green as grass WRs and a moron of an offensive coordinator); Denver fans hate him cause... well, I don't know why. And the rest of the haters are scared poopieless at what he could do in this league if he ever got his mind right and had a good team around him.

It seems like Cutler is the 3rd most hated QB in the league -- behind only JaMarcus Russell and Mike Vick -- and for the life of me I don't know why. Discuss.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I currently dislike him because he engineered the late fourth quarter drive to a Bears field goal that beat my Steelers last season.

-Mike

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Now that's the kind of hate I can deal with. :D

4. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I think he is unstable emotionally due to the diabetes. He is what he is as a quarterback but the up and down behavior is ImO from the diabetes.....

5. I dont hate him at all. not a bears fan or denver fan though. i cant really make any judgments on his ability though because he is to often hindered by one of the worst O lines in the NFL.

6. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    He's no Joey Harrington. That's for sure!:D

7. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Interesting theory re the diabetes. Frankly I forget about that part of the equation.

Funny thing is, he was a trainwreck in primetime games last year with the Bears. It was like he saved his worse performances for night games on national TV. So then the theory was floated that nighttime was when his diabetes kicked in and affected his vision and/or decision making. Far-fetched to say the least, but just goes to show how far some people will stretch things.

8. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Master of the red-zone interception.

9. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    My answer to that as a Bears fan is that you shouldn't have to be throwing inside the red zone anyway. That's why you have big, mean O-Linemen and a hard-charging RB.

Well, you should ,anyway. The Bears don't... hence the problems.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Well, he sucks because he's a Bear!

11. xray

xray

Feb 15, 2009
    Kona, HI
    Every Bear game I watched last season the color and analyst said they were terrible and Culter better start runner for his life. Many said it was unfortunate that Jay ended up on the Bears because there's nothing there that can help him be successful. Although not a Bear fan I started feeling sorry for the guy. The Bears are a pathetic football team and it doesn't stem from Jay Culter. Bear's and Raiders are very similar - lots, and lots of problems. No matter how good of a QB you are - without a decent team you're going to be below average at best. When the defense sucks, the running game is non-existent, receivers can't catch and your special teams are JV - you're going to suck as a QB. Like I said at the beginning, I like Jay but no one can have enough self confidence to overcome the shortcomings that the Bears exude. I hope they trade him or he's going to be looked at as just another average QB in the NFL as long as he's with the Bears.

12. disenchant

disenchant You can't plagiarize yourself.

Aug 9, 2006
    Elgin, IL
    I hate him because he kept throwing interceptions.

Typical Bear behavior to choke when it counts (REX!)

The Bears need a REAL quarterback. I haven't seen a good one since Jim McMahon.

13. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    He has ha a terrible attitude with coaches and players in the past... Including at Vandy. He's very talented, just unstable to boot.

14. I lived in Denver during much of his time there. They *hated* him in Denver, even when he was a Bronco. His attitude is horrible, IMO.

15. bassface73

bassface73 Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2007
    Milford, CT
    Not sure what this means? I have had diabetes for 15 years and I am not unstable emotionally...

16. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    rex-grossman-screwed.

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Well, maybe you are but never knew it until Dr. waleross diagnosed Cutler?

:D

-Mike

18. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    The second coming of Jeff George?

19. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I've heard that one a lot. Really hoping it doesn't turn out to be true.

And BTW even as a Bears fan I've gotta say that pic of the Packer "packing" Grossman is damn funny.

20. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    He seems to have very few redeeming characteristics as a QB or as a person.

But I'm sure he's the way of the future.

Personally, I never saw what got all the sports yaps so hot 'n botherd over him in the first place. He has always looked like a perfectly mediocre QB to me.