1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Why are there no Fender Precision 5 strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jlepre, Jun 8, 2012.

1. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    I'm in the market for such bass, but none to be found? Tons of Jazz but no Pbasses?

2. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    Let me elaborate. I meant to say not many, as I see only one. There are a bunch of MIM and MIA Jazzes.

3. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    how many do you really need? that's one of the beauties of the pbass - simplicity. It does it's thing and does it really well.

4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    It's not that I need more than one to buy, but a few choices would be nice. I'm not looking to break the bank. I've been watching the classifieds here on TB and CL, but nothing to speak of. A nice MIM would be nice. Were these ever made?

5. Tampabass

Tampabass Going Viral By 2080 Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Tampa
    I know you are, but what am I?
    lack of demand?

6. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    Who knows? But even though they're out there I have yet to actually see one in any of the three music stores I go to.

7. Gr8tbass

Gr8tbass

Aug 7, 2010
    SoCal
    Jazz basses are just more popular. It's the perfect bass that Leo ever came up with, next to the Stingray bass ;)

8. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I think that there just starting to get popular. I wouldn't be surprised if fender came out with am MIM version in the near future. five years ago there wasn't even an MIA p bass.

9. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Cedar Knolls, NJ
    So maybe I should consider a Jazz instead.

10. Huh? I'm pretty sure that Fender was cranking out MIA P's way back in 2007

11. ChetChetney

ChetChetney

Apr 25, 2012
    Oklahoma City
    I think fenders 5 strings are poorly made; there design is poor, especially compared to other higher end designs who have perfected the 5 string setup. I'm a 35" scale man

12. curbowkid

curbowkid Guest

Jun 27, 2011
    Brooklyn, New York
    Fenders aren't meant to be more than 4 strings. They are meant to be the most basic of instruments. That's how they started and still are. There's hardly anything complex about them. Hell, they don't even angle their headstocks or use higher mass bridges

13. I have a 2011 fender P 5 string. Plays and sounds great. I got it used for under 1k in near mint condition. Got it off the classifieds here.

14. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    GC is regularly stocking five string Fender American Standard Precisions now, so they are easier to get than ever.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    They also made an American Deluxe Precision V, which was the best P bass they ever built.

16. line6bassist

line6bassist Supporting Member

May 16, 2009
    san antonio/austin

a mim version would be awesome :)

17. Sadowsky makes P 5ers

18. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Absolutely, and many years before.

19. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Not in 5 string, which I think is what he meant. The 5 string P was introduced in 2009 or 2010 I think.