1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Why do people cut off semi trucks?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nortonrider, Apr 19, 2013.

1. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I have experienced this a lot (I drive a big truck) and got to wondering what prompts car drivers to cut off semi trucks?
    Out of all of the stupid things I have seen people doing out on the highways, This is one of the most unsafe "practices" that I experience.
    Trying to be objective, I came up with some of the possible reasons.

.Because of the size, people don't realize how fast a Big truck is actually moving. (perspective)

. Cars are somehow "getting back" at the truck for making them have to pass. (road rage)

. Drivers just don't understand how dangerous it is being around big trucks (ignorance)

I had it happen multiple times today going down a mountain pass on icy roads. A few had to pretty much jump a slush berm to change lanes in front of me.

Cutting off a Semi Truck is a good way to get yourself ran over, seriously not a good driving practice.
    So..... the next time you are driving, just watch how often it happens, and you will be aware of doing it yourself.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Largely ignorance in my experience. Either not paying attention to their surroundings or not aware that those trucks can weigh 80,000 lbs. fully laden or more, and don't exactly stop on a dime.

I find people think trucks are an inconvenience on the road and aren't aware of how necessary they are to our economy.

People need to drive big trucks to understand. Same with motorcycles.

3. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    People probably think the trucks are just too slow and feel stuck behind them.

I personally don't like driving right next to or behind a large truck, but I'll change lanes if I can to keep some distance. If I pull back in front of the same truck (or any vehicle), I give plenty of space and make sure I can see the whole automobile is in my mirror before I go back in the lane.

4. dieselbass

dieselbass

May 15, 2010
    Davis CA
    I truly believe that it is self centeredness that causes this. People want to blast down the road and trucks are an impediment to their progress. I work on them and have had to respond to several wrecks. Never any fun.

that said, some drivers like to hang in the "hammer lane" which frustrates the 4 wheeler crowd.

I recently read a stat in CCJ that cars cause over 60% of the wrecks. I think that came from the NHSTA.

to those who drive, thanks for feeding and clothing us.

5. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I can confirm what OP is saying. Its' like people are trying to get run over. I finally got to where I drove my Truck in the right lane about 10 MPH slower than traffic.

6. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    It's because you drive trucks that you notice. I don't see that when I drive my car, all I see is the guy doing 75-80mph in a 80,000 pound big rig. People don't notice the other guy until he screws up. I think the biggest reason is that most people don't realize that a truck is not going to maintain a set speed like they can and they get frustrated. The trucker doesn't help either when he's jumping back and forth between 2 lanes like he's in an Honda.

7. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    its about insurance that truckers have. cut off a trucker, get a big settlement, if they dont die in the process.

8. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough

Sep 30, 2012
    Portland, Oregon USA
    I see it all the time. I supervise all the CDL drivers for the company I work for. All our rigs have cameras in them that are hooked up to sensors that monitor hard braking and violent maneuvers.

Trigger the sensor and I get 10 seconds of video and audio from before the event and 10 seconds after. I then determine if our driver was speeding, following too close, talking on the cell phone, rolling stop signs, falling asleep, etc and if he or she was violating the law or company policies they are subject to disciplinary action. Up to termination.

I do see drivers for other companies who wouldn't last a week driving for us but I see dozens of incidents every week where a car does something idiotic in front of one of our drivers.

It's impatience, self centeredness, ignorance and a general lack of skill in vehicle operation.

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Semi trucks would be whole trucks if no one cut them off.

10. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    It's simple. People are stupid and think they're invulnerable.

11. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    The IDIOCRACY is here. Most drivers are too stupid to understand that a truck is in any way different from a car and that a car is not a magic carpet. Most drivers simply aim their vehicles down the highway like a weapon and hope forthe best.

12. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

You need to drive semi trucks to really understand how hard it is to stop such a beast.

13. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I don't think they're thinking at all, and I don't think it's just big trucks either. The same people will cut off other 4wheelers too. Like pflash said, they think they're invulnerable and just drive how they want to drive without paying any attention to what's happening on the road around them.

14. Tony Flow MMMM

Tony Flow MMMM

Dec 4, 2012
    LOOOOL

15. jebmd

jebmd Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Edgewater, Maryland
    As stated above in some form or another, people are stupid. Most are in a hurry because they can't wake up early enough to get where they're going and slow moving vehicles are just another obstacle to them. People are so wrapped up in their own lives these days, common curtesy got lost somewhere.

16. Car v. Sem-trailer - always a losing proposition. There's just no accounting for halfwits.

17. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Ah, good ol' Drivecam. We have them. I used to think that there was some kind of game going on to see how close you could get to my truck when darting into my lane. I've even had instances of douchebags on bikes do it. If there was a crash, it would of course be the evil truck's fault. With Drivecam, I say bring your stupid ass on over. While writing this a commercial for one of those "ambulance chaser" law firms was playing. "Have you been involved in a crash with a big truck?"

18. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Munjibunga, you funny Mo****f***** xD

19. fmoore200

fmoore200

Mar 22, 2011
    NYC
    What about buses? I get cut off all the time, and the person sitting or standing closest to the window always says: "can you believe that guy?! I never cut off a bus!"

Yeah, sure you don't. :mad:

20. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    People are idiots. They think vehicles can stop on a dime and are completely ignorant of the fact that the more it weighs and/or the faster it's moving, the farther is takes to stop.

To be fair, some truck drivers drive like complete buttheads but car drivers are easily as bad. Some are just too stupid and seem to be willing to become nothing more than a poop stain on the highway.