Why do people discrimanate?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by greenbassfreak, Dec 4, 2003.

1. What is the point of discrimanation does it make people feel better about them selfs?

At my school and other people we dont have a problem with race and religion but with gays and lesbians. Its a big problem, the other day i was talking to some people at the ymca were i hang out alot and a bunch of other teens my age, then the subject of me being lesbian came up which doesnt bother me and we were talking about it. Then one of the guys said something like if there was a gay guy in here he would leave and i asked him why and he didnt have a reason he just replied because. Then all the other guys agreed with him, next i asked them how it was different for a guy to like guys than it is for girls to like girls? Not one of the had an answer becide "because". Then the other girl and I tried to explane to the how there not different and they dont have a choice on wheither they like girls or guys but they wouldnt hear of it. At that point i just stopped talking and we just dont talk about it anymore.

I just dont understand how they can all think that being racist is wrong in there eyes but discrimanation againts gay is ok, i guess i just dont get it.

I hope this doesnt break any rule or anything if it does just delete it or lock it or something.

2. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Only white's descriminate ;) (I'm white by the way).

People just discriminate (seriously) because the are so stuipid.
    But I really don't get it when someone descriminates against someone white, it's not a hate crime. Isn't it descrimination when you only descriminate against white's?
  3. one of the guys was black and another one was asian the other two guys were white
  4. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    There are some widely held theories that it's human nature to "discriminate"...that is, as we learn about our environment, we learn the differences between yellow and green, between light and dark, between salty and sweet.

The thing is, though, when discrimination is taken to the point where people are being discriminated against for certain behaviors, race, religion, or even moral beliefs, it often comes down to a lack of understanding. Discrimination has also been linked to a state of fear and acted out as a defense mechanism.

IMO, educating those who discriminate is often the best solution. However, the longer their fear is perpetuated, the harder it is to get it through their thick, mindless skulls that people are people, and no more!
  5. I never asked questions like this when I was 13. No wonder I'm such a heartless bastard.
  6. mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Nice post RAM...

I guess discrimination is simply because we as humans are scared of things that are different. Anything that differs to what we are used to or what we percieve as "right" is going to be looked upon differently than the things that we are used to.
    Becuase you arent "familiar" with something, its very easy to stick it into a negative category and say its "wrong." Its a really touchy subject and their is no right answer..
    Discrimination comes from alot of places. But i think that education is the key to killing it. If i am educated about something that is "different" i know where its coming from and that there is nothing harmless about it depending on the case, and thus my negative image of that person or thing would be gone.
    I guess simply "Understanding" something is usually the key in ending your "hate" for it.
  7. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I think you see more discrimination among the less educated, regardless of race. You do the math.
  8. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    What RAM said -- we are social animals and are somewhat programmed to make judgements of who is 'us' and who is 'them.'

Personally, I think the male reaction to homosexuality is kind of a unique case. Most guys have insecurities about their own sexuality, and hanging out with or somehow 'bonding' with a gay guy can be very threatening to their own sexual identity.

To me personally (I might feel different if I were gay), joking references to homosexuality (dude, that is soooo gay!) don't strike me as hateful, because they aren't really jabs at gay people so much as a jab at nearly universal male insecurities. Part of being in band with other guys (or any other 'team' setting) involves becoming the 'master of the homosexual innuendo.'

How a guy handles these insecurities is the key, I guess. A lot of guys refuse to see their own insecurity and turn it into hate/violence, and that is bad news, and is always unacceptable. IMHO, the homosexual innuendo/joking can be a first step in getting guys to recognize that it's really their own insecurities that they're afraid of. I did add the H to the IMO in that last sentence, because I'm not sure that that's the best answer... but there's my guess, anyway...
  9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Generally speaking that is true. However the top echelon of society is still overwhelmingly dominated by white males.

I understand that discrimination isn't going to disappear overnight. But it's frustrating as hell that, even in this new millenium, it's still so prevalent. Sure, fewer people are getting lynched, but too frequently I hear stupid comments and stereotypes about race, gender, religion, and sexuality... even from people who should be educated enough to know better. :(
  10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I second this.
  11. I'm not disagreeing with you, but under what criteria do you decide what is right , wrong or just different?
  12. This might be nitpicky, but just going on what RAM there said, I wouldn't say it's innate human nature that we discriminate. You're right that as we learn about our environment we learn the differences between yellow & green, light and dark, etc., but this is not discrimination, it's categorisation. When people then attach negative stereotype or prejudices to certain groups of people and assume that all members of that group share these traits, thats when we get discrimination.
  13. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Me too....Petey Mac is definitely a heartless bastard.

brad cook

14. It's not necessarily negative stereotypes that constitute discrimination. For example there's an assumption that all asians are good at math. It's not deraugatory, but it sure is wrong.
  15. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Why would it be discrimination to leave when someone you are uncomfortable with is there? That's not discrimination.

Now, if they said "you can't come to the Y because you are Gay"... That's discrimantion.

if i'm missing the point sorry.

if by descrimation you mean the guys expressed distain for male homosexuality, but thought that female homosexuality was 'ok' it's because the people in question aren't mature enough to understand personal choice, combined with an immature view of sexual relationships.
  16. Yeah, true clef. I guess I was just refering to the negative discrimination that results from lazy and ill informed thinking since that was what the original post was refering to.
  17. basically what the boy said was if there was a gay guy in there he would leave and not come back or talk to the guy again sorry i wasnt clear on that
  18. you're 14, right? so i'm assuming that these kids are also around your age. Boys mature slower than girls (sometimes not at all). It's just a fact of life. That was a very immature thing for that guy to say, but hey, at least it'll be 4 more years till he can vote. Anyways, people will always be intolerant of one thing or another, so try not to worry about it so much.
  19. Do not tolerate, intolerance.

I would have left and said "if there are any bigots here, I will leave now"

I seriously am a intolerant creature to intolerance, I will be loud and uncaring to bigots because I truly believe their ignorance should cause fatal results, nazi's should not be able to live.
  20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I am horrified that I can never find a spelling error in this guy's posts, even though he is from Texas, where 'discrimanation', 'discrimination', and 'descrimation' all mean the same thing ...

If you don't chew,
    we ain't wich yeeew!

To quote Joe Cocker:

'Learnin' to live together ...'
    'Learnin' to live together ...'

If you choose your friends by their skincolor,
    or sexuality, you are going to miss a shootload of great friends in your life.

And GOOD friends are hard to find.

especially for Mules ...