Why do people do this?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassdoggydogg, Oct 24, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bassdoggydogg

Bassdoggydogg

Jan 29, 2021
    Ive scoured the web to find out why people string this way. Why do people string basses like this? Is there any benefit? Can it harm the bass? (Refer to pic)

Attached Files:

tindrum likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It’s a thing guitar players do. It’s not correct when they do it on guitars and it’s less correct when they do it on a bass.

3. Datsgor

Datsgor Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2000
    East Bay, N. Ca.
    it won't harm the bass.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I learned to do it that way back in the 80s from a guy who did guitar and bass tech work for Bob Marley, the Rippingtons, and several other national acts. One loop over the string excess and the rest under. I've been doing it that way for 35 years with zero failures. There's nothing "wrong" about it. And there are exactly and precisely zero disadvantages to doing it that way.

So what's the problem and why do you care? Why is it worthy of "scouring the internet"?

5. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    It a six string guitar method of wrapping strings

thunesBARROW and Tanner5382 like this.
  6. Whatever wraps your post. And some people tie a knot, but I’m not into that. If I ever change strings again maybe I’ll do it differently. What bugs me is when people don’t cut of the tag ends leaving a bird’s nest or string ends hanging out of the case.
    :thumbsdown:

7. Bassdoggydogg

Bassdoggydogg

Jan 29, 2021
    I never said there was a problem dude. I was just curious, as it seemed like more work then putting the string in the hole and turning.

Well, learn something new everyday.

8. SLPimp

SLPimp An Injury to One is an Injury to All Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2020
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    My luthier strung a bass like that once, and I thought it was strange since he'd never done it before. He's never done it since. I do my own setups now.

9. Iristone

Iristone

Jul 8, 2017
    Beijing
    It works for a Telecaster guitar, where the thin, unwound strings might slip from the centre if you just insert it there. I'd be careful not to hurt myself, or my bandmates that stand/sit near my headstock, though.

10. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn

Apr 3, 2021
    It's not going to hurt anything strung like that pic shows...that is, if you don't have Fender type tuners or others in which you stick the end of the string into the hole in the tuner shaft, bend it at a 90 degree angle, and wind.....and even then, you CAN string it the way pictured, but I wouldn't in those aforementioned tuners. And without those type of tuners I, aside from my PRS guitar, always do the one over and three under approach that locks the string from slipping. Whatever works. Just don't put too many wraps on the tuner post.

thunesBARROW and 2tonic like this.
  11. Crunchy Growl

Crunchy Growl

Jan 31, 2018
    Just sayin that Peavey is nice!

rollie 55, wintremute, 4SG and 9 others like this.
  12. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    It won't harm the bass, but you can take your guitar player's eye off if you don't trim the string ends short.

Spidey2112, 2tonic, Mili and 3 others like this.
  13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    I don’t string a bass that way. BUT it’s not really wrong. As long as it holds tune there isn’t really anything bad about that. It just isn’t done as common on a bass.

thunesBARROW likes this.
  14. Its a disrespect to the instrument.

15. MisterUbu

MisterUbu

Feb 25, 2020
    Toronto, Canada
    I've seen it done on cheap 60s' basses that had guitar tuners on them prior to the advent of closed-gear compact tuners that weren't just small open gears covered with rectangular rear plates (were those even around in the 60s'?). I'd personally just insert them the intended way and not have any string ends exposed, whether on guitar or bass. But then again there's guitarists who don't even crimp off excess string and loop it around to leave them sticking out so what do I know.

The only real issue I would find is that those bits of exposed excess string ends would scratch up the lining of a gig-bag when taking the bass in or out possibly.

Neo1 likes this.
  16. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    To my aging eyes, @Bassdoggydogg, in the photo you reference 8nly the A and D strings have a loop over the string end.
    It appears the E and G string are wound spirally down the tuner capstan.
    If your question is "why half and half", I surely don't know.
    If your question is "why the loop over top", because that's the way some guys do it.
    If your question is "why not poke the string end down the hole and then wind" I can only tell you that some players, who boil their strings, and have "Fender-esque" bent plate bridges, or string thru body, or any other bridge where the string has to be withdrawn thru a hole, find it somewhat easier to remove and replace the string if it doesn't have a 90° bend at the end.
    I, however, am not one of them, as I've never found it difficult to get the bend thru the hole (I've also installed Hipshot or Ken Smith bridges on most of the basses I've owned, so the string just lifts out of the slot).
    That being said, I have always strung my basses by poking the end in the hole and winding spirally down the capstan. JMTC. :thumbsup:

SixtyCycleHum likes this.
  17. Tim Craig

Tim Craig Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Nashville area
    In a live situation it will cause patrons to leave the bar, mess up your Hz’s and it will sound like your playing through a 4 x 10 over a 1 x 15…one of the 7 deadly TB sins.

Ryno1330 and 2tonic like this.
  18. jpmcbride

jpmcbride Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    Most guitars are strung this way. And basses like Danelectro that don't have a hole in the post.

thunesBARROW likes this.
  19. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    That's how everybody who doesn't know that there are holes in the center of the tuners strings their bass. I didn't know the strings went in the holes for about 20 years. I learned that from a Scott Devine video on YouTube, that just came on after watching something else.

20. Sharp points of metal poking around where you put your hand to tune? I give that a 1 out of 10. Also handy for ripping up gig bags and case lining, so maybe 0 out of 10.
    Headstock looks cool though.

GTHintz, Dynacord, J_Bass and 3 others like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.