1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

why do we lock to the kick drum?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jj.833, Sep 12, 2019.

Tags:
  1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    As I said, locking in with the kick is more rock than jazz. Jamestown brought his jazz chops (and ears) with him to the Motown sessions. So did the drummers. They weren't always playing 4 on the floor rock beats.

JimmyM likes this.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Who said it?
    :D

JimmyM likes this.
  3. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    I groove most with the snare

bucephylus likes this.
  4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    +1 A mature player listens to the whole mix, and fits their part in appropriately.

DrThumpenstein and Joebone like this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, no kidding! Dude even referred to white people as "us."

equill and Brad Johnson like this.
  6. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    "Locking to the kick drum" is just a by product of playing in sync and in time as a band ... When you listen well enough you can tell everything "lock" or "sync" with the drum ...

The Drum just put in your face the rythm, it put the emphasis on the subdivision of the imply tempo or it it can be an almost another melodic instrument.

and here we can clearly hear how the guitar just also "lock" or "sync" with the drums as so many of you think

jj.833 likes this.
  7. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Indeed. Don't confuse my comments about how to learn to lock with the drummer as lesson #1 with after you have learned to lock with the drummer to listen to the rest of the band for proper balance and mix and being able to properly support the band, lesson #2.

bucephylus likes this.
  8. Acoop

Acoop

Feb 21, 2012
    Rock does that the most, where Jazz, Blues, R&B, does it less. ... The bass drum is the one and you should always know/feel where the one is. ... But could you imagine if James Jamerson had to play just what the drummer was doing on his bass drum. ... So, you do lock in with the drums but you don't have to play just that. ...

9. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I didn’t have the energy to even get into the part about how the bass is always supposed to be on the one. I like to drop the one sometimes and form a monster pocket by playing on the “and” instead. I feel like I was inspired to do this by listening to Parliament, but I don’t know if they actually do that very much.

JimmyM likes this.
  10. Mannyinnewyork

Mannyinnewyork

Sep 28, 2016
    New York
    I can’t possibly explain the science behind it, but it just sounds better. Like some primitive rhythm section shouting out “your gut knows what’s moving you. Enjoy it.”

You can like or love music that doesn’t have that bass/drum thing going on - I know I do, but there is something special when the kick and the bass command attention. I love it.

11. Didn't realize it when I posted this, but here's a good example of playing to the kick also!

12. Mannyinnewyork

Mannyinnewyork

Sep 28, 2016
    New York
    No, it’s an idiotic statement.

wesonbass and equill like this.
  13. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Same reason that we also don’t

wesonbass and JimmyM like this.
  14. TDPRI Bones

TDPRI Bones Guest

Jul 25, 2019
    It's absolutely racist, if you put any other race in the place of "white" followed by a derogatory statement about their abilities in a certain area, it would be, therefore it is racist as it is stated. Music is supposed to be the one thing that brings all people together regardless of race, that's one of the magical things about music.

15. TDPRI Bones

TDPRI Bones Guest

Jul 25, 2019
    Ironically, someone with the user name "equill".

16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    [​IMG]

17. Mannyinnewyork

Mannyinnewyork

Sep 28, 2016
    New York

Maybe I should have said racist and idiotic - either way, it’s just bad.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
    TDPRI Bones likes this.
  18. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's the other way around. The bass drum makes our note sound bigger. That's the same reason drummers like to hit the bass drum when they hit the crash cymbal.

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  19. I laughed.... :(:bag:

DrThumpenstein and equill like this.
  20. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Sorry, but it does not meet the definition of racist. A derogatory statement about white people said by a white person does not meet the definition.

- John

Brad Johnson and JimmyM like this.