Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Will Lee on a Bongo

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Eggman, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Saw Letterman tonight and Will Lee was playing a black Bongo. Has he made the switch from Sadowsky?

2. I always wondered if he played any other bass on the show!!!

mmmm BONGOS!!!!

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I thought he was playing his black Sadowsky with the altered pickup placement ala Warwick Thumb a few days back, but I really didn't get a great chance to check it out, so it might have been a Bongo. I just saw the black bass and assumed it was his other custom bass.

4. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i remember reading on the Ernie Ball website that will lee had bought a bongo and was going to showcase it on the show. :confused:

5. I watch letterman regularly and while about 75% of the time he plays his tobacco sunburst sadowsky (without a pickguard and with a neck pickup cover) he also plays many other basses on the show too. the guy has many basses to choose from.

6. dooft11

dooft11 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2003
    HongKong
    thats why i can see Mr.Lee's name on the endorsement list all over the bass magazine

7. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    I went to see the show live right after Letterman moved to CBS and the Ed Sullivan Theater. Will played a Hofner that night, which I thought was really cool, considering this was the same stage on which the Beatles first appeared in the U.S.

8. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Later in the show - they did a shot that showed his guitar rack - it had 3 basses in it and at the time he had switched back to the tobacco burst Sadowsky. I just had never seen him on that show play anything other than the Sadowsky. The black Bongo looked really cool.

9. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I hear from people that would know that Will is playing that Bongo a lot (not just on Letterman).

Makes sense - it's a good bass.

10. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    He had that bass 2 weeks ago for Les Paul's 90th b-day concert, might have had a white pickguard though... sounded great.

I had the pleasure of working with him about 5 years ago, and he was playing his trusty Yamaha 5-string which he says is his favorite for recording

11. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    He still plays that Hofner with the Fab Faux, his Beatles tribute band

12. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I would guess that the reason that one Sadowski is played so much on the show is that he probably keeps it there...That's one of those situations where since he plays that stage 4 days a week, he probably has a locker with a few basses that he uses exclusively for the show. I would also guess that it's in part due to the show's mixing and engineering. I can't imagine on a show like that you'd want to rock the boat for the production team in the booth. They know that bass and probably have a standard mix set up most of the time (then you could tweak away as needed per song or situation).

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    He also plays a white Ric sometimes in his Beatle tribute band. It's very frustrating trying to catch a glimpse of Will and his gear. I'm pretty sure he's playing through an Ampeg fliptop now too...anyone know if it's vintage or reissue?

I say we do a write in campaign to Dave requesting that Will get all of Paul's camera time and while we're at it we should also write Conan to give Mike Merrit and his red Lull all of Max Weinberg's camera time.

It's a tossup for me as to who's more creepy...Paul or Max.

Does anyone even know who plays bass in Leno's band???

14. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    ps: Sadowsky is spelled with a Y not an I.

15. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Goober is now playing Will's Sadowsky anyway.

[​IMG]

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    That would be Stan Sargeant. He's the reason Ernie Ball is now making lefty Bongos.

17. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Mr Monkee is absolutely correct on the bassist and the reason EBMM is manufacturing lefty Bongos.

Time to get onboard, Dude. The Bongo train is leaving the station.

18. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Have a good trip...see ya when you get back!

19. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Hah! I might be back already!

[​IMG]

20. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Stanley Sargeant