Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wizzer cones anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Mar 23, 2005.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Has anybody used the Eminence BP102 speakers with the wizzer cone built in? Looks interesting. Also, can anyone compare the B102 legend speaker with the Delta 10" thats in my avatar B210?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    This is not really a direct response to your question, but EA uses a wizzer cone in its Wizzy 1x12 (which is one of my all time top cabs) and Accugroove used one in the Mini Whappo - a great cab that has been "replaced" by the Tri 210L, which also uses wizzers on its two 10's.

So, if nothing else, there are some killer cabs being made with wizzer cabs.

Tom.

3. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Thanks for the info. Anyone else have anything to say on the subject.

4. im with tombolus, once i expand my first cabs will be EA wizzy's. the best thing about them is that they can produce low and high frequencies at the same time better than most speakers. eliminating the need(and expense) for a tweeter.

probably one the sickest ideas ive seen in a long time :cool:

5. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Wizzer cones are far from new, although I must admit their application in a bass cabinet is definitely news to me.

I remember an old 8 track stereo with wizzer cone speakers...and I'll bet it wasn't new then either.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Probably not, I think it's a very old idea. This one's newer than that, I bought the E-V SP15 w/whizzer in this picture new around '87. I'm not sure why they never caught on. They were primarily meant for voice reinforcement, but used the regular (huge) EVM basket and magnet, and kick butt for bass, synth, pedal steel, etc. The cab is homemade, obviously.

[​IMG]

7. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    All those old Jensen Car Stereo speakers were Whizzer cones

Dimin

8. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    What's an 8 track?

You must be really old. :D

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    A whizzer is a much better approach to HF for bass than a tweeter. Woofers don't have good off-axis dispersion characteristics above 1kHz or so, and tweeters don't chime in for about two octaves above that, leaving a serious hole in the off-axis midrange response. A whizzer fills in that midrange nicely, and doesn't require a crossover to do it.

The problem with a whizzer is that it's superior HF extension/dispersion goes for naught if two drivers are mounted side by side, a topology that should never be used but for marketing reasons alone is the preferred scheme.

The BP102 with a 3mm xmax is a considerably better performer than the Delta 10 with a 1.6mm xmax. Delta 10s should really be used only for guitar.

10. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Bill;

So would the BP102 work well in the tuba cabs?

11. I can beat that. I had a 4 track in my 56 Chevy. :cool:

I'm kind of surprised to see whizzies making a comeback. My impression of them is that it's a technology that didn't really work that well. I haven't heard examples of the latest encarnations though.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think that it might have been the applications that didn' work as well as they could have. The EA Wizzy is just astounding!

Tom.

13. Whizzers date back to the '30s if I'm not mistaken. They were an attempt to get wider frequency response before the days of modern crossovers and multi-speaker systems. They could be just the ticket for getting a little more range for bass guitar without adding an annoying, squawky little horn. I'd like to hear some.

14. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Better than a Beta 10 by dint of the higher Bl product, but not that much better. The whizzer would serve no purpose as the T24 is a true subwoofer that only works up to 200Hz or so.

15. i have an eminence beta 12LTA(wizzy) in a 1x12" that i´ve built.
    it do have better hi-end but the mids are a little strange(or maybe too flat or something). its not meant to be used for bass but it sounds good for clean sounds but sometimes not so good with distortion.

i believe the bp 102 is used in RANDALL´S 4x 10"

16. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

That mid-80s E-V sounds really good for bass, IMO. I recently sold a matching cab with an EVM-15B, and kept the whizzer...'nuff said! :cool:

17. For the sake of accuracy, the whizzer cone is the "B102" model. The "BP102" is a different animal, and has no whizzer cone.

I have four B102 lined up for a stacked pair of 2x10, once cabinet building weather arrives. These should cover the full range of the bass, i.e. 7,500 Hz, without requiring tweeters.

The downside to the B102 is it rolls off high, about 300 Hz when enclosed in SBB4. Two of these in a vertical stack might be a real nice match for a Tuba 24.

18. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I seem to remember that the B102 (OK, not BP102) is an 8 ohm speaker. Maybe a couple of 2/10s with those might make a good pair.

19. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Please explain. Does this mean two EA Wizzies shouldn't be used together?

20. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Don't know what an EA is, but in the case of drivers when you have two of them placed side by side with their centers a half-wavelength or more apart you get comb flitering on the horizontal plane, resulting in gosh awful response peaks and valleys. In the case of two tens mounted frame to frame the center to center distance of ten inches is a half-wavelength at 565 Hz; from there on up response is trashed by having the drivers side by side. Drivers should always be mounted vertically to prevent this. Musical instrument cabs don't follow this fundamental rule of loudspeaker design because the mold for MI speakers was cast by Leo Fender/Jim Marshall, and they were not loudspeaker engineers.