1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

wizzy 112 for extension of AI combo

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by pierre, Apr 9, 2006.

1. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    Hello
    I'm quite happy with my Coda but I have bigger project and I'd like to had and extension
    Any experience with the Wizzy cabinet ?
    Did you find that it would be best to buy an Euphonic combo like the iamp 200 and to use the AI as extension ?
    In the archieves I don't find a lot of answer

Thanks all

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    You probably ought to check your impedances....a Wizzy cab (they're great, by the way) is a 4-ohm cabinet. I looked at the AI web site and it says the the ext. cab minimum impedance is 4 ohms, so technically you'd be okay.

I think you'll have to try both to find out. I loved my AI Contra initially, but started to want more clarity after a while, and that was easier to get with front-firing speaker designs. Just from my experience with both EA and AI gear, I'd advise you try an EA Wizzy combo first...it may just give you all you need without an extension.

3. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    Thanks
    Unfortunally there's no french dealer of the EA so it will never be possible to try one...:crying:
    But have you try to connect your Wizzy combo with your AI or the AI combo with the Wizzy as extension ? I would be very interesting of your experience:hyper:

4. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    No, I didn't own both at the same time....sorry.

5. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    pierre, please don't hold me to this, but I believe I recall seeing a post some time ago from someone who used a Contra and a Wizzy powered speaker together. I think they routed the effects send or the Speakon for the extension cab from the Contra into the powered Wizzy. If I remember correctly, they were able to control the volume for the Contra and the Wizzy independently.

I would be willing to test this theory for you if I had a powered Wizzy, but unfortunately I don't (yet).

Also, if you haven’t read it already, you might want to check out this thread too:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=203963

6. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    Thanks bolo

I see in your profile you've got the wizzy combo and a AI serie 1
    (mine is serie IIa) Could it not be possible to combine both ? Other question : the wizzy 112 (not powered) would not work with the AI ?
    Shall I wait for the EA NL210 ?:( cxvw

7. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Although I've not tried this combination and can't tell you how it would sound, rest assured that the un-powered Wizzy cabinet will work find as an extension cabinet for your Contra. The internal Contra speaker is 4 ohms, and when connected to a 4-ohm extension speaker like the Wizzy, you will get a load of 2 ohms, producing the maximum 300 watts of power from the amp. I have used an Acme B-1, a Schroder Mini12+ and a Bergantino HT112 as extension speakers with the Contra and they have all worked fine.

8. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    pierre, for some reason I have never been inclined to try and combine my Contra and Wizzy together. I don't know why - maybe they would work great together.

In my situation, if I felt I needed significantly more volume for my gigs on a regular basis, I would spring for the powered Wizzy cab and pair it with my Wizzy combo. I keep reading that 2 Wizzy's is greater than the sum of its parts.

And quite frankly, I haven't used my Contra much at all since I bought the Wizzer. I really want to like the Contra more. The design is truly unique and quite remarkable IMO. But even for low volume gigs, I just prefer the sound of the EA now. Solely personal preference. However I still haven't let go of my Contra or the AI extension cab.

Anyway, it looks like LowNote helped answer your question about different extension cabs for the Coda too (Thanks!) ... Lots of options, no?

Re: the NL-210, no need to wait. I think maybe you were referring to the proposed NL-208.

9. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE

Bolo,
    The facts of carrying 2 wizzy cabs scared me a little for the moment, and it's quite a bit expensive. What offer a powered wizzy in comparison with a wizzy 112 cab ( more power ?- sorry if the question is stupid )
    thanks

yes I wait for the NL or NM208.

10. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    pierre, I agree with you. Two Wizzys for a double bass gig would be pretty radical. Unless maybe it was an outdoor gig, or you wanted one speaker for you and the other one pointed at your bandmates. I dunno - You're right though, if I had to go that loud on DB, I probably don't want the gig.

I was thinking more of the occasional gig I get on electric bass to be honest.

For that matter, kinda like what you said, the thought of carrying one Wizzy and one Contra/Coda to a gig turns me off too.

The reason I mentioned the powered Wizzy is that my iAMP-200c Wizzy combo cannot power a traditional extension cab as I understand it. The powered Wizzy speaker is specifically designed to pair up with the iAMP-200C Wizzy combo, or with any basic preamp I believe. If I were to pair a powered Wizzy with my combo, yes it would double the power from 200 to 400 watts, as well as doubling the speaker surface area.

Yup - I think some folks are waiting for the EA NL-208. At the same time, still other people have had luck with lots of other choices for extension cabs though, like what LowNote said.

Hard to decide what to do with all these options! I for one am very grateful we can get advice from lots of folks here on TB to help steer our decisions.

I mean, how else would I be trading ideas with a bass player in France? Very cool indeed!

11. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    pierre, in addition to the EA Wizzy cab, it seems the Epifani UL-110 has been getting lots of good reviews for DB recently.

If you get to a point where you don't want to wait on the EA NL-208 any longer, can you get your hands on Epifani gear in France?

Just ask Freddels. He has a Wizzy and an Epi (envy, envy ...).

12. pierre , If you decide to go with an Epi UL110, you can find it at : www.woodandtronics.com
    I bought mine from there, he is a great Italian guy. Also very good prices.
    I use the Focus II with the Epi UL110, and i can say that I'm really satisfied.

13. pierre

pierre

Jun 3, 2005
    Médoc FRANCE
    Thanks a lot for your replys

John Dong just send me an e-mail he hopes the NL208 in 6 weeks if the driver he command were good. I will wait for it.