1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Worship Bassists Unite

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by oxygenbass, Aug 28, 2007.

1. oxygenbass

oxygenbass

Jun 27, 2007
    UK - Cumbria
    Hitting the low notes for the king of kings
    This is a group for bassists that play in Church

I wanted to start a group that unites Christian Bassists no matter what type of denomination - Aog, Cof e, Catholic - whatever!

Simple thread post i would like on here - your favourite song you play in Church lets spread some good tunes through each other and inspire eachother!

Gear, settings, attitudes towards worship, prayer - whatever!

Fellow christian bassists i call for you to join me!

James 4.8

2. oxygenbass

oxygenbass

Jun 27, 2007
    UK - Cumbria
    Let creation sing - by hillsong, has a brilliant Bass line!

my favourite praise song on a sunday morning!

:hyper:

3. RADUB1

RADUB1

May 11, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Count me in....I play either a Warrior 6 or a Fender American Deluxe P5 through an Eden wt550 and 2 Eden 112xlts....EQ set flat....with the enhance at about 9 o'clock. Any eq tweaking I need, I do on my bass. I don't really have a favorite song to play for Worship....I think some of my favorite jams are the ones during slower, worshipful altar time.

Great thread idea!

4. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    I play a Warwick Corvette through several different amps depending on the situation, though I'm not doing it full time anymore. My favorite song is probably either My Redeemer Lives, Blessed Be Your Name, or Cover The Earth.

5. Nighthawk551

Nighthawk551

Jan 3, 2007
    Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound
    I'm here! Fender Highway 1 P-Bass and Geddy Lee Jazz playing through the PA (Two 15", two 10", two tweeters). I write my own basslines for each song we do, so it's always interesting and fun. Luckily, our worship leader allows me creative freedom, so my true personality comes out when praising God :smug: .

6. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
  7. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Yeah, same here. I haven't heard the original version of most of the songs I play.

8. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    You should talk those nice folks at TB to start a new forum for you. It would seem like a worthy cause; both for fellow worshippers and those (and I'm sure there will be some) that want to avoid such a thread/forum.

9. oxygenbass

oxygenbass

Jun 27, 2007
    UK - Cumbria
    my worship leader is the same - im allowed to play whatever i want really - its fairly chilled root note for quiet worship and for praise i always put in some power chords and random blues scales!

The thing i love about playing bass in church is its just fun, an extension of our faith!

At the moment im using a 1960 teisco bass and a Gp11 trace elliot (1983) amp -

but thats about to change rapidly and majorly as i have sold all my spare basses and front basses to buy a blues burst rickenbacker 4003.

And the Trace elliot i use is on long term borrow - i know he is coming for her soon! - but i have a Ashdown perfect 10 mini rig for when he collects her!

Effect fun!

I love using Wah in church - helps people get there funk on! - try How great thou art with the bass wah and just watch the hymn ADDICTS love it!

Best worship song at the moment for me is

Saviour King

Shepherd of my thankful heart

The splendour of the king

10. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi

Just got hired as the bassist for Lifechurch.TV, Albany, NY campus

Sadowsky basses direct using just my EBS multi comp. No amp, in ear monitors

We do all kinds of stuff. All the songs are fun to play. I get the play list during the week, chart them out, play them on Sunday.

Rob

11. I play at my church as well. Immanuel Bible in Springfield, VA.

I use my custom basses and my new Mesa Venture 600 (which I can't get past 1 or I get ugly looks from my worship pastor).

I enjoy playing "that's what we came here for".

12. Greyvagabond

Greyvagabond

Aug 17, 2007
    Los Angeles
    As we all know, the Spirit lives in the Bass!

13. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    Why are religious people always sporting their religion :confused:

:bag:
    (everybody's gonna hate me now.....)

14. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I like to rock. My Glorious by Delirious always makes me feel connected. Not To Us by Chris Tomlin and Our Love Is Loud by Passion are some other favorites. Nothing fancy in the bass, just good songs with good lyrics.

15. I play all the time at my church (north heights in roseville, mn) and at several other churches and with other christian groups.

16. hey all,

I play at my church (Parkside Christian Church in Cincinnati) about 2 times a month (once in the main service and once in the teen service). I absolutely love it.

After playing bass in bands for almost 8 years i finally decided it was time to take a break from music. During this period i began attending my church and trying to get my life back on track. Since then God has blessed me with the opportunity to serve as the graphic arts and multimedia director. Once i got the job and the worship minister herad that i was a bassist he was interested in having me play. Initially i was reluctant since i hadn't been practicing as much and was unsure how i would do reading charts and improving; but i decided to give it a go. I feel like i'm playing bass better and with more purpose and cinviction than i ever have before.

Sorry about the long post but i wanted to share my story.

The gear i'm using is:

Atelier Z M265
    - or -
    SX Heavily Modded Geddy Lee 5string clone

Eden WT400

Schroeder 1212

My favorite song is Lincoln Brewster - King of Majesty

17. :D Why do people who don't have anything to say post in threads? :D

Oppps, did I just say that? I never do that :)

18. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    haha yeah you're right... maybe it's just because religion is a much bigger thing in the USA... we don't have these kind of things here...

19. I would hope that people who are posting in this thread would not be hateful to a person who doesn't understand his/her faith.

To answer your question...

I can't speak for all "religious people" but i'm "sporting" my religion because it is something i'm passionate about. It has changed my life profoundly and I hope that my "sporting" will make others think about their faith.

20. i play here in cornerstone livermore,love to play SALVATION IS HERE by hillsong. and im using smith black tiger most of the time direct on board only in ears