1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Worst pedal you ever bought!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HugoBazZ, Oct 9, 2013.

1. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

May 12, 2013
    Just for fun, what was your worst experience with a pedal ?

2. EHX Bassballs. Almost never managed to make it work decently. I tried modding it, but overdid it and killed the pedal.

3. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

Boss RV-3 and EHX Stereo Electric Mistress. Both sounded totally cold and lifeless with my set-up.

4. Rhysyjob

Rhysyjob

Jan 8, 2013
    Gotta be a MXr El Grande Bass Fuzz..... I could not tame it to something sensible it was either nothing or Valhalla, and as usual you lost the bass punch when it was kicked in!

cjlembo likes this.
  5. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Mississippi
    bass nitro and Veldar like this.
  6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 GAS resistance is utterly futile... Supporting Member

7. gully_jones

gully_jones Stone cold groovy man Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2012
    Mississippi
    Fishman fission bass powerchord fx. Had high hopes for this one. Ended up being expensive, played with it for a solid 2 weeks got maybe 1 decent sounding setting out of it. Promptly sold it and I never sell my effects pedals.

8. Jazzish

Jazzish

Mar 5, 2006
    I didn't like Source Audio's pedals. Sold them shortly after getting them...

TerribleLiar23 likes this.
  9. mokkat

mokkat

Jan 22, 2008
    I haven't owned many pedals, but the most useless one has been a DOD FX25B. Nice effect, but the crazy spikes, overall dip in volume when activated and no true bypass, was too much to work with

10. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    EHX Bass Big Muff ... sold it again in record time.

11. HeavyJazz

HeavyJazz Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2013
    Virginia
    I'm pretty sure the one I had was an empty shell. Worth-less...

Attached Files:

12. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    that would be my 2nd worst pedal ever.

13. Ajak

Ajak

Mar 31, 2012
    Bern, Switzerland
    Sansamp Bass Driver DI.

I got it because I liked some of the stuff recorded with it. And for a lot of players it's just THE pedal for metal... not for me.
    I only once really used it for a part of one scene of a musical. Now it's still on my board but I noticed I always rather use my ODB-3 or my VT Bass. Now I want a B7K for more versatility and mid control. :D

The BDDI is probably the first pedal I'll sell.

14. honotron

honotron

Oct 1, 2008
    Ibanez PD7...great tone but stupidly noisy!

15. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    Boss LMB-3. Did not like how it altered my tone. I prefer my compressor/limiter to be transparent.

Ovni Labs updated review describes it well: "In my previous review of this pedal, from about six years ago, I said the high frequencies were "clear and present"; this was not quite correct. With the Enhance knob turned down, it actually rolls the highs down significantly in a long slope starting around 600 Hz. Turning the Enhance up brings back the highs, but also produces a sharp scoop in the mids (centered around 2 KHz). Check the review of the older LM-2B for an RTA chart comparing the frequency response of both pedals. There is no way to get a flat EQ with any setting of this pedal. Turning the Enhance up also amplifies any noise in your signal path, so between the noise and the mid-scoop, I advise using as little as possible of that knob. I wish they had included an attack control instead."

16. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I had either a Digitech or DOD compressor many years ago that just hissed like crazy. Ithink that was the worst.

17. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    Really? I had this one and thought it was pretty good. A bit noisy but it had a very strong flanger sound.

18. tkonbass

tkonbass I'm just one of the out-of-focus guys. Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Mobile, Alabama, USA
    Tech21 Bass Compactor. Worst compressor I've tried. Discontinued for good reason.

basscomp_image.

19. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    EHX Bass Blogger. A crappy OD and a crappy distortion in one hateable package.

20. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Not a one. I have loved every one of the 200 pedals I have traded for, bought, traded away or sold over the last three years. Some were not for me, others were, but my wonderlust for the next pedal was never satiated.

heavymetal0061 likes this.