Would it be useful to have a Latin technique sub-forum?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Anthony White, Jul 16, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Here on the double bass side of talkbass, we have sub-fora dedicated to Jazz Technique, Orchestral Technique, Rockabilly, and Bluegrass.

I've been searching a little around Latin music technique, and wondered if it would be useful to have a Latin subforum? I also wondered if "Latin" is too broad, given that Latin America includes about a half-billion people and twenty countries, so probably at least twenty distinct musical traditions. Tango is not Bossa.

So that's my humble proposal - I wanted to offer it for discussion, and if anyone else besides me thinks it would be useful, then put it to the moderators/management.

2. Mister Cbass

Mister Cbass

Jun 30, 2011
    France
    I agree with you, we found some information about latin music in jazz forum or miscellaneous forums.
    A dedicated forum would be great. There so many styles, bands etc...
    Tango, bossa, mambo, afro-latin, they are numerous , and a lot are quite far from jazz music.

Love this idea.

3. Mister Cbass

Mister Cbass

Jun 30, 2011
    France
    maybe you could make your suggetion here

Suggestion Box

4. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    I like it; there's a lot I could learn here.

5. sean_on_bass

sean_on_bass Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I would love a Latin section, and it could honestly benefit both double and electric bassists alike.

G Aichele likes this.
  6. vilshofen

vilshofen

Dec 27, 2007
    Casablanca
    If I could get to pontificate about cumbias and Ruben Blades, I'm all for it. Excellent idea!

Joshua likes this.
  7. Evert

Evert

Oct 7, 2017
    Brussels, Belgium
    excellent idea !

8. marcox

marcox

Dec 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    You could start by creating a "Latin Technique Megathread" in the Jazz Technique section as an initial gathering place for information. The mods are more likely to create a new section if there's demonstrated interest and sustained participation around a particular topic.

(See the EUB section for examples of megathreads about various manufacturers/models.)

Tom Lane, Anthony White and G Aichele like this.
  9. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member

Related to this, I've been enjoying the Samba & Beyond online class sponsored by JazzAnywhere.com Mike Tracy, the director of the University of Louisville Jazz Studies program, is the creator of the JazzAnywhere.com site and has had a long-term relationship with South American jazz educators. One of his recent Master's degree graduates, Hamilton Pinheiro, is teaching the course. Hamilton's a great musician and bassist and his band can all keep up. So far, they've covered Samba, Partido Alto, Samba Funk, and Sambaiao. $150 for 8 video lessons, roughly an hour each, and Hamilton answers questions through a messaging app. The lessons are very well prepared and very detailed about all of the possible rhythms for each rhythm section instrument for each style.

marcox and Anthony White like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022