1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Would you take this gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by baddarryl, Oct 8, 2019.

1. baddarryl

baddarryl Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    My wife’s boss is having his annual party and the regular band’s bassist can’t make it (a trio with no drums (I think)). Through a serious of obscure events they have asked me to sit in. There is no set list and though say they’ll try to find common ground the singer generally decides why to play on the fly.

Now I am in the mediocre bassist club and am certainly no gigging pro with 300 covers under my belt. That being said I can play and know quite a few. My weakness is improv and “jamming” though. I have only played a few live gigs and am considering this as a huge learning experience among friends. Reminds me of an open mic I did once where I played 3 songs I didn’t know. Oh yeah, I have never played with these dudes before and only am vaguely aware of the material they play. They said I can just play as much or as little as I want. Train wreck or possible Gold Star memories? Lol!

2. Do it. You've got nothing to lose. It'll be fun.

3. What's the pay?

4. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    That’s what I am thinking

David Jayne and MCF like this.
  5. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Not sure. I really don’t care.

6. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    I cut out the relevant parts. I would not take it, given just the first thing, never mind the second.

7. Your wife's BOSS?! Seriously, although it might be a great opportunity - musically - to stretch your ear/ability, I'd respectfully decline, and enjoy the event WITH YOUR WIFE. Unless you know well the rest of the company/audience (you say they are friends) and are quite confident in being able to at the very least fake your way successfully through their book, I'd think you risk your wife's rep by being the hubby who tried to play bass with the "band." If they use some sort of fake book with even just the chords, maybe.... :hyper:

Good luck! Let us know how it went!

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It could go great, but if it doesn't, how bad will your wife be hurt at work? Let her make the call.

9. Have been bit by letting people push me into situations … never again. I like to be prepared and know the material forwards and backwards. This would be different if it was an impromptu thing where people and musos just showed up and music ensued, but it is not.

Daddy-R, HardNHeavy, dkelley and 8 others like this.
  10. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    No Drums? I would pass just based on that.

11. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I don't play things where there are no plans, unless it's known to be a jam session, and it's just friends. I'd pass. But you might consider it an adventure.

AudioTaper, zubrycky, dkelley and 5 others like this.
  12. wife’s boss? I guess it depends on her relationship and the culture of her company. Ask her.

If you not proficient at jamming, could turn into a dumpster fire pretty quick.

I’m with @Chad Michael , I need to be prepared.

13. DrMole

DrMole Supporting Member

I thought that was the selling point.;)

AudioTaper, marcwhy, wboyd68 and 14 others like this.
  14. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    I think you guys are right. I asked for a set list and that’s when I got the when we play enough we can just go on the fly.

I have the option to jump in if I want or not. I guess we’ll see. Maybe I’ll take my rig , give them a listen then jump in.

15. baddarryl

Oct 26, 2008
    Cape Fear!
    Boss is very cool. No risk there.

16. 4 Strings Good

4 Strings Good

Mar 6, 2014
    10lmbp.
    Just out of curiosity, how would you prepare for a gig:
    • with no drummer
    • with no set list
    • with musicians you don't know
    • without knowing the unfamiliar musicians' material
    • when you're not comfortable or experienced improvising, and
    • it's at your wife's boss's party?

pcake, uusak, btmpancake and 27 others like this.
  17. Please take this the right way. Has your wife heard you play live and is she a decent supportive critic? If so, ask her what she thinks. If she give you the go-ahead, then by all means, do it. If she's not a decent citic , then ask your girlfriend. :cool:

I personally would do it, but I'd still like to have some sort of idea of the tunes likely to be called. Are there any crazy obscure tunes the singer likes to do, etc.

The first time I played with the Trop-Rock Buffett-y band I used to play keys with, the BL said when I was hired "nothing to it. I call the tunes on the fly". I was expecting lots of standard "Margaritaville" and Cheeseburger" Buffett stuff The very first tune of the gig was "One Particular Harbor", followed a tune or two later by "Tampico Trauma." It would have been nice to know those were staples on the songlist. I did land the gig, though and we were together for five years.

18. I would pass unless I had absolutely nothing going on. Or they were paying me some money.

The situation is tricky. Does everyone, especially the boss, know you’ve been invited to sub? Will you be going whether or not you are playing? If the answer to both of those is “yes” it might be better to just do it rather then spending the whole party explaining why you chickened out.

J_Bass, gitfiddl and bigjohnyeti like this.
  19. Al T.

Al T. Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Richmond, VA.
    What could possibly go wrong?

20. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    Sounds like a nightmare to me.