1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Xotic Pedals any good?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tom_RCJ, May 13, 2010.

1. Tom_RCJ

Tom_RCJ

Jan 4, 2010
    Cardinal, Ontario, Canada
    Band is sponsored by Trinity Amps and Sennheiser.
    http://www.xotic.us/effects/

Has anyone ever heard of this brand? My guitar player recently got one of their pedals and it sounds better than his Fulltone and Diamond pedals, which sounded pretty good to start with. We're blues-rock classic-rock minded and always look for tone and overall mix quality. His Xotic pedal really hit the spot.

Xotic have a few bass pedals too. Their pre-amp pedal is currently discontinued, with a note saying a new one will be designed soon, but there's a few others there that sound good. Their whole "thing" seems to be about vintage tone. The one my guitarist got makes him sit easily into the whole band mix.

The sound clips on the bass pedals sound good, but personal experiences can vary sometimes, so I ask: does anyone have any experience with them? Should I bother trying to buy a discontinued one off E-Bay? Maybe the ones they're still producing? The Bass RC Booster and Bass BB Preamp clips sound pretty good. Might try one unless someone has a real bad story about them.

2. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Yes, Xotic is a respected manufacturer of quality products. Have a search or three around here, you'll find lots of positive opinions of their goods.

3. Yes. Very good.

4. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Blues.. I would go with the rc or bb bass booster. You'll like'em.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    A search will reveal that Xotic is well-known and well-liked in this forum. :p I use their X-Blender, and a Bass BB will probably cross my path sooner or later.

6. Heck yeah. I rock an RC booster with my passive P-bass. It's on practically all the time.

7. Tom_RCJ

Tom_RCJ

Jan 4, 2010
    Cardinal, Ontario, Canada
    Band is sponsored by Trinity Amps and Sennheiser.
    Wow, really? That I had never heard of them before isn't very surprising, I'm not really a pedal user. But my guitarist is a tone freak that has tried every pedal under the sun and he had never heard of Xotic. I would of searched around, but I thought maybe one or two guys here would of heard of them at most.

So I'll search around here and find the posts to see what I can learn. Thanks guys.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  9. gravesbass

gravesbass Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    Endorsing Artist: MesaBoogie-SpectorBass-Dunlop-EMG Pickups-Darkglass-Hipshot
    Excellent made pedals and VERY low noise!

10. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Another happy X-Blender user over here. Great pedals.

11. mazdah

mazdah

Jan 29, 2010
    Kalisz, Poland
    Bass BB Preamp is simply AMAZING!

12. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    I've had a lot of the heavy hitters, and the Bass BB is extremely awesome. I almost want another.

13. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    xotic? rubbish!

dump them all at my place.

14. PiNgtime

PiNgtime

Mar 26, 2009
    lol!

I use a x-blender with a bass bb preamp. It sounds great and has some extra frills here and there. I'm not looking to own a plethora of pedals as well, really just for some texture. A little ironic how the TWO pedals are used to achieve a blended subtle drive.

This is a good clip for it -

Regarding the discontinued preamp, if that's the Tri-logic, i've looked at that too, but did not pull trigger on that one.

15. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    I thought about the Blender, but the Bass BB has Treble and Bass controls on top of my bass' preamp, so I don't really lose anything with it on.
    When I use FX, i want 'em heard!! :bassist::bassist:

16. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    I'm a new owner of the x-blender and it's a pedal I wish I always had. Simply a wonderfully designed and sounding pedal.

I also have the BB preamp which in fact is a distortion. It replaced a Fulltone bassdrive and sounds better IMO while having a much smaller footprint on my pedalboard. I just wished it could be a little cleaner when used with the gain at 0 so it could be used as a clean boost too.

Great company, great pedals and very low noise!

17. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    That's why they make the RC booster too, silly! ;)

18. tigerbass

tigerbass

Jul 28, 2006
    Crown Point, IN
    The X-Blender is awesome, simply a must have if you use pedals. I had a RC Booster, which is a killer booster as well. The Robotalk 2 is a wonderful filter. I want to try the BB so bad. I always seem to miss out on them.

19. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    The RC Booster (which is really a mild overdrive rather than a true boost, as there is a clipping section) and BB preamp (which should REALLY be called an overdrive) are both great. I wish they made a switchable Bass RC/BASS AC (they don't make an AC for bass) - THAT would be a very flexible OD, and my understanding is that they clipping stages are the only thing that's different.

20. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My RC is ON all the time too.
    Brings passive basses to life!

I also have the Bass BB Preamp overdrive and it's just as good as the RC.

Great pedals and the construction quality is A+