1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha BB424x successor?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Kurtenstein, Jun 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Kurtenstein

Kurtenstein

Jan 19, 2018
    Hi! I started bass a year ago (ex-drummer) on a Squire J Affinity. Pretty much satisfied but I'm having a craving for P-bass sound. The Yamaha BB424x seems quite interesting, looks and sound wise. However, it doesn't seem to be sold anymore here in Canada.

Does anybody know wich current Yamaha model replaced it? Or is pretty similar? Thx.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Hi!

I'm not sure if there is a direct replacement, but the BB434 seems to be the spiritual successor:

There's also the BB234 if you're on a tighter budget:

Yamaha make great basses in all price ranges, I don't think you'd go wrong with either :)

Pbassmanca, hrodbert696 and BioDriver like this.
  3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep, the new BBs are the 434s. IMO it's a pretty significant shift in the character of the model; when I tried one out in a store it was a lot lighter than the old ones (yay good), and the tone was a more neutral modern sound rather than the old BB grind.

garp likes this.
  4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    If you have some patience and don't mind buying a pre-owned instrument, you'll likely be able to find a BB424X or even a BB414 (the predecessor to the 424X).

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  5. Kurtenstein

Kurtenstein

Jan 19, 2018
    Good advice! I’d rather get a used instrument with that sort of tone. As far as price and quality go, is it true to say « the highet the model number (for the BB series), the better the instrument is »?

6. "Better" as in features, not in overall quality.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. Kurtenstein

Kurtenstein

Jan 19, 2018
    ...meaning « same quality, more or bettet features »?

8. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Penfield, NY
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    First, good for you for realizing the value and quality of Yamaha basses. They are magnificent and often under-appreciated instruments.

I use a BB400, a BB434, a BB450 (all fretted), and a BB3000af (fretless), all bought used. Each of them is an outstanding instrument in its own way. The BB3000 is the only active one of the bunch, but there's no way I would call it orders of magnitude better than the others just because of its bigger number. They're all just wonderful basses.

Do you know about the "Vintage Yamaha Basses" group on Facebook? Lots of really smart people there who can probably answer your question with much more authority than I. But I have to say that I'm absolutely loving my latest acquisition -- the BB434 -- which I bought "distressed" on Ebay. As usual, Yamaha did lots of things right with that new BB series.

Last I knew, there was a pretty much brand-new BBP34 for $925 ($1500 new) and a BB3000 ($1100, I think) for sale right here on TB Classifieds. Both look like really good deals. Good luck.

Pbassmanca likes this.