Yamaha SLB300 New model

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Henry Rose, Jan 17, 2020.

1. vedi

vedi

Sep 16, 2008
    Luxembourg, EU
    long time Eneloop AA and AAA user, ever since they became available in EU, haven't bought any alkalines since. I ordered Eneloop Pro AA specifically to use with SLB300, and haven't experienced "the red light" during the gig/rehearsal yet. did not notice any difference in performance with alkalines that are delivered with a new SLB300.

Wasnex likes this.
  2. johnny_bolt

johnny_bolt

Mar 28, 2017
    Denver
    Is the SLB300 made in Japan like the 100? Could someone read off what theirs says?

3. vedi

vedi

Sep 16, 2008
    Luxembourg, EU
    yes, made in Japan.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  4. johnny_bolt

johnny_bolt

Mar 28, 2017
    Denver
    Has anyone tried to remove the large "YAMAHA" logo on the side? That's the only change with the 300 that I don't like: the big rent-free ad space for Yamaha. :)

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    Fred Hammon, kento and El Thumpo like this.
  5. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    I agree. It’s unprofessional on a bass. All right on a piano, I suppose.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    Fred Hammon and johnny_bolt like this.
  6. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    No, I haven't. I also haven't tried to remove the Taylor or Martin names on the headstock of my guitars, or the LoPrinzi logo on the uke I own. I guess it just doesn't bother me. I've played probably 20 gigs since I bought mine last Spring. Only one person, another bass player, came up and asked about my Yamaha, so I don't think the advertising is particularly effective.

BobDeRosa likes this.
  7. Slim Pickins

Slim Pickins Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Im following this thread and am very encouraged by sound clips that have been posted here and on the Yamaha website.
    I typically play double bass seated and wonder if that's a viable option with the SLB300.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  8. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    It is for me. I sit on a 30” stool (give or take), and put the “shoulder” in my lap. Very comfortable left arm position, and my right hand falls just above the end of the finger board. I’m 5’10”. I don’t use a bow. There is plenty of adjustment in the end pin.

9. Slim Pickins

Nov 18, 2015
    New Hampshire

10. Slim Pickins

Nov 18, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Thanks Bob. Waiting for one to come on in the TB classifieds. At the very least it sounds like a great backup bass. How long does it take you to put it together and break down?

BobKay likes this.
  11. fenjazz

fenjazz Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Portand, OR
    It takes less than 2 min to setup and breakdown.

12. kento

kento

Dec 12, 2012
    white plains.
    Is there anyone have tried both 200ltd and 300?

300 is enough good but having ebony fingerboard and nice framed maple neck makes me so interested.
    I actually have tried 200ltd and I thought it was amazing but it has been 10 years ago (when I just started out playing)and my memory should got glorified.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  13. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    It takes me a little longer than 2 minutes - maybe 3 minutes. But, at 74, everything takes me longer than it used to.
    I got mine from the TB classifieds.
    For me, it has really made a difference in my ability to keep playing out. As I age, I'm having trouble walking. All the instability issues magnify when trying to manage a regular acoustic bass - not because of the weight, but because of the size.
    As for the sound - it comes very close to either of my two basses when they are plugged in. More important, both of the groups I play in are pleased with the sound, and occasionally an audience member will comment on how good it sounds. I'm happy.

14. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Here's an update on my experience using the SLB300: It is still working out great for me, playing two gigs per week, and sometimes one more.

BUT, I don't understand why Yamaha was so wildly wrong about the battery life. I've been getting about 15 - 18 hrs on one set of alkaline AA's. Doesn't seem to matter if they are Duracell or the less expensive version from Costco. And the claim that you can play up to four hours after the led starts flashing red is also wrong. Sometimes they die instantly.

I wonder if the testing Yamaha did to substantiate the claim was to simply turn it on and measure how long the batteries lasted, with no playing? Perhaps playing for three hours straight uses up much more battery life than simply plugged in for three hours?

Anyway, it's not a show stopper for me. I happily change out the batteries and keep playing. It just seems to be an unnecessary claim that is so easily disproved.

15. El Thumpo

El Thumpo Four strings, no waiting Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Thanks for that field report, BobKay. I finally took the plunge and ordered one. Hasn’t arrived yet, but this thread just made me invest in a charger and a set of Eneloop rechargeable batteries.

16. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    You're welcome. I hope you like yours as much as I do mine. Right now I'm staying with disposable batteries. I bought 48 AA for $10 at Costco. I'll eventually check out the rechargeables.

El Thumpo likes this.
  17. johnny_bolt

johnny_bolt

Mar 28, 2017
    Denver
    Yeah, this was an unforced error on their part. They already had the electronics worked out for 9v. There was no reason to downgrade to a lower power source. E.g., this isn't some super-light application where every ounce counts.

Some commenters (or maybe a marketing video?) stated that 9v isn't "needed" anymore and the system can run on 3v. I think, "Who cares if it's needed or not? It would majorly extend the battery life."

It could have been a cost-saving decision: most electronics run at 3v. So 9v-3v conversion isn't needed with two AA's or AAA's.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
  18. johnny_bolt

johnny_bolt

Mar 28, 2017
    Denver
    I wonder if there are lithium AA's that will last a lot longer. My tactical flashlight uses lithium batteries.

Ah hah:

Looks like Energizer lithium AA's are "the longest lasting" AA's. Up to 4x longer according to this site. Someone try these out and let us know how they do!

19. Dutch Williams

Dutch Williams Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2021
    Any electric instrument at this price point should not have this noticeable a noise floor. Period.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  20. Dutch Williams

Dutch Williams Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2021
    No it’s literally direct. Nothing else in the chain is causing it. It comes through my Phil Jones as well. Apply compression when recording (or live for that matter) and you’re screwed you might as well mic an old tape machine