Yamaha SLB300 New model

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Henry Rose, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Played My SLB300 at three different gigs and im loving it more and more. seriously the best EUB I've ever played. One time direct through a Mackie board into BOSE L1, sound was pretty good except the board operator kept trying to make it thumpy like a P Bass. The second time through Phil Jones BG800 and loved the sound(sticking with that set up) and the third time through a little Ibanez Promethean (? not mine) sound was thin but still came off like an upright. This bass feels and sounds like it was built for me.

johnny_bolt and Wasnex like this.
  2. think I need an Acoustic Image amp for smaller venues. Hmmmmm.

3. Dutch Williams

Dutch Williams Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2021
    Returning mine. Hiss/noise floor is unacceptable, makes it unusable for professional recording application. I tried ....

johnny_bolt likes this.
  4. Damn! :(

5. bassmanpl

bassmanpl

Jan 23, 2014
    I am still thinking about returning mine...

Dutch Williams and johnny_bolt like this.
  6. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I'm not able to discern any hiss in a live playing situation. Recording probably is a different issue, but that's not why I bought it. I'm keeping mine - the form factor and versatility meet my needs perfectly. If I'm asked to participate in a recording, in a studio, I would take my acoustic upright anyway. FWIW.

7. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Any updated feedback on the battery situation? I recall they need to be replaced frequently due to rapid drain. Wondering how this is affecting typical usage. Thanks.

johnny_bolt and Luigir like this.
  8. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I bought mine used, and started with the batteries that were in it. I’ve used it for 18 hours of live playing, plus another 3 hours of standby, plus about 4 hours of use at home. The battery alert started flashing after that, so I put in new. The person I bought from said that after the alert starts, he got another few hours. It is so easy to change, I didn’t wait.
    Hope this helps.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  9. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Dutch - I listened more closely to my 300 today while practicing. There is a hum or hiss coming from my AI Coda. That said, I don't think it is any different than the sounds I hear when other instruments are plugged in. Disappears when playing, but I can image the problem it might pose for recording.

When recording, do you go right to the recording interface? You're not recording a live session, right?

johnny_bolt likes this.
  10. vedi

vedi

Sep 16, 2008
    Luxembourg, EU
    mine does not hum. recorded with it at home and in the "real" studio ***, direct in, no hum, nothing, just big smiles on happy faces.

with all due respect, and personally, I'd check a lot of other stuff, before posting a thing like that. and, I understand that there is a probability of a faulty item. just not a whole bunch of them, really.

also, it doesn't drain batteries. jeez. the smartphone you are reading this on IS draining its battery. look, technology went further, there is no need for 9V battery in this situation - if you compare the modern CPUs with the old ones, you will see a trend of lowering the voltages... less heat produced and less power spent. the 2 AA batteries will get you through a weekend of non-stop rehearsals and a performance afterwards. do you bring spare cable/strings? why would 2 spare batteries be a problem?

*** (just to see how it goes, and it sounds great. one might prefer the real one, but 300 is no slouch and deserves no snobbery, just fair trial)

Wasnex, marcox and J R Knots like this.
  11. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I may have to retract the above - I just got a new Phil Jones Double Four to use with this bass as a stage monitor. Can't hear anything at all. Just nice clean bass. I'll have to check my other amp.

12. Mikey3

Mikey3

Aug 8, 2007
    Ontario
    Not trying to derail the subject at all, but any would there be any advantage/disadvantage of using say an SLB200 with say a decent impulse response versus using the SLB300 if looking for a more similar sound in that regard (Their SRT Technology? I am not too up on the tech as of late.

Also playability I assume would be identical on these two basses for the most part? I see that there are some smaller differences in finish etc... but aside from that same?

johnny_bolt likes this.
  13. vedi

vedi

Sep 16, 2008
    Luxembourg, EU
    you can always try. however - Yamaha took the piezo pickup they intended for the 300, and installed it on a real DB. then they mic'd the DB with three mics, and recorded a bunch of samples. then, with a little help of mathematics, they looked for the difference between mic'd signals and the piezo... so, the logic is: the same piezo pickup is used on the 300 + SRT = profit.

you would be training the IR with another pickup. it might take longer, but it may work - won't know until you try!

johnny_bolt and Reg Braithwaite like this.
  14. Bonafide

Bonafide The Adventures Of Fusion Chicken Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    Central TX
    I record often as a way of life - I must say this SLB300 has been ultra quiet so far. Its a recent purchase for me. My signal chains in general are balanced and quiet, so I suspect that may help. But the high-end monitoring and converters pick up on most everything and so far the preamp and SRT have been excellent. I have not used it with an amp yet, but I am super impressed with the recorded tone...super impressed. I like the new headstock design, but I also like the original scroll. I am getting used to the new one. I found the stock helicore hybrid lights a bit stiff despite their rated tension but it is my first time with them. I have a set of Sprios around here I may switch out after some break in. ** I do find the piezo only passive tone to be weak ** even for a piezo. All in all, I feel the tones would satisfy alot of discerning ears and it was a great EUB choice.

20210702_184920.jpg

15. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    I like a relatively low setup and I had to file the nut on the majority of basses I played over my career...both bass guitar and upright bass. Most of the instruments I played were setup for someone who preferred higher action than I. I wouldn't be surprised if the next person who used those instruments had to have new nuts installed.

So, IMHO, getting a setup done right away should not be totally unexpected.

johnny_bolt, Luigir and Bonafide like this.
  16. Not good….
    I get no noise of any kind. Live or recording.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  17. kento

kento

Dec 12, 2012
    white plains.
    I purchased the SLB300 a month ago and it’s been very nice.
    It feels very close to the real double bass. You still should have real double bass to learn how to control and get the sound but there are a lot of things you can do with SLB300. If you can’t play your double bass in your apartment or you want to practice at night, you should take this.

I just recorded of my playing SLB300 on busking.

I connected it into Powered Monitor so you get better sound if you use good bass amp. Also Humidity was 93% then so this is not the best sound you can get from SLB300 but hope you get the Idea.

18. Joacocool

Joacocool

Jun 13, 2009
    Did anyone tried a Battery Eliminator as an alternative to the AA batteries? I am curious about any unwanted noise/hiss introduced by poorly designed power supplies (Switching type?)

upload_2021-8-27_13-22-58.png

Attached Files:

johnny_bolt likes this.
  19. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    You could use rechargable AA NiMH batteries. Capacity looks the same on papper (2600 mAh), but in reality NiMH run for three times longer than alcaline. Also, they are enviroment friendlier.

20. But they have a lower voltage, 1.2 volts, not 1.5 volts like alkaline batteries.
    But worth a try. Often it works, but check for how long it does.
    And better get the ready-to-use types that can hold at least 80% of the charge for a year. Best I know are Eneloop.

I even use 9 volts ready-to-use batteries with a good charger (important!) for effects, active DI or piezo buffers.
    They also have a lower voltage (8.5 volts), but that is closer in percentage to the goal than the 1.2 volts rechargables.