1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Yamaha SLB300 New model

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Henry Rose, Jan 17, 2020.

1. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    I've received promotional message about this product that i find interesting. Wen Yamaha make a new instrument she do it well.

2. Hasty

Hasty

Jul 4, 2014
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I know this is a gross oversimplification... but that could make my SLB-200 +ToneDexter= SLB300.

Don’t mess this up for me with logic! I’m trying to save myself a few thousand dollars here.

Cartier76 and moles like this.
  3. Hasty

Hasty

Jul 4, 2014
    Fort Worth, Tx
    I love the idea of the semi and almost went that route (and might even prefer the semi long term)... however none of the semi acoustics (and most EUBs as well) I’ve seen have both shoulders the way the Yamaha does. I Really like having that option available from both a playing and an ergonomic perspective.

VictorW126 likes this.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    FWIW, the SLB300 sounded amazing in person, and the ability to blend in the "prerecorded upright" signal really allowed for some great tones. I think of this as using bass enclosure "impulse files" to your IEM mix in order to add the sound/feel of a cab on stage with you.

5. matthewbrown

matthewbrown Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Harwich, MA, USA
    When will there be a fiver, I wonder...

6. jmlee

jmlee Catgut? Not funny. Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2005
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    No, I don’t think so, unless the ToneDexter is already supplying high quality upright tone files which can be mapped to your particular pickup. They do seem to have such things for the Yamaha Silent Guitars.

7. Hasty

Hasty

Jul 4, 2014
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Not yet, but I see the folk at the Pickup Test are currently offering options for Yamaha violins and cellos. Hopefully they can offer some mapping for the SLB-200 soon.

8. I’m hoping the SLB300 sounds better than the Tone Dexter. Maybe it’s just me but the Dex’s sound always has these weird high frequency artifacts that sound like a miniature gated snare. They hide in a live setting but limit the units usefulness.

It would be awesome if the new Yamaha could get you an acoustic sound while recording direct. That would make it worth having to change the batteries every week!

Chris Symer likes this.
  9. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    Here in Italy we don't know the price in America?

10. BobDeRosa

BobDeRosa Supporting Member Commercial User

May 16, 2012
    Finger Lakes area of New York State
    Owner, Tritone Jazz Fantasy Camps
    I think it's $4500.00 US.

11. drumsnbass

drumsnbass Bassic User

Dec 13, 2004
    Phoenix AZ area
    There’s an open box one up on eBay for less.

12. gigetto

gigetto

Sep 25, 2019
    Italy
    It is not cheap but it is a miliarstone

13. ted burik

ted burik Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2006
    San Rafael CA
    I've eagerly been following this thread on the SLB300 and others here on TB and have done my research-I'm close to making a move to pick one up. For those of you who own or have played an SLB300, any other observations to share on the bass? Is the mic simulation continuing to deliver? Has the shorter battery life provided any challenges? Any other pros/cons worth mentioning? I realize that there hasn't been a ton of playing opportunities over the last 8 months but any additional info or impressions of the SLB300 would be more than welcome. Also going to post on the Yamaha EUB thread and the other SLB300 thread.

J R Knots likes this.
  14. I am curious- looking forward to your review!!!

ted burik likes this.
  15. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Was referring to the Yamaha SLB 300 in post #7...

16. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Are the basses you referenced from Germany available in the US?

17. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    I'm not sure, but if you like I can ask the luthier Heiner Windelband about shipping in the US...

18. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Thanks for the offer, but I wouldn't be willing to spend the money without trying in person first. They re quite expensive - 5,700 Euros, right?

19. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    I can well comprehend your thoughts/concerns... I don't know, if already there is a Semi in the US, but could be an interesting "point of investigation"...;) I know about a good relationship between Heiner Windelband and Martin Wind, who lives in the US, but I don't know about deliveries of the Semi to the US

Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
  20. Heiner has a nice flightcase for the Semi. Contact him and he might tell you a reference.
    I‘m pretty sure there is one in the USA, but it‘s a big country and it’s not a good time for traveling now.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021