Yamaha SLB300 New model

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Henry Rose, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Just got one last week. it's been a long time coming....Covid made importing very difficult for Yamaha but in my opinion well worth the wait. I'm loving this bass. Better than expected and can't put it down. I did have to have some work done on it because the action was unexceptionable but it's fine now.

2. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Any feedback on the SLB300 while playing arco? The promotional video is almost 100% jazz pizz. Not that that's a bad thing! I'm curious about comparing this to double bass with a bow.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think they ship with Helicore Hybrids (?), which are okay, but perhaps not stellar, on arco. That being said, the SLB300 responds very well, IME/IMHO to arco playing, and this is where I heard the most benefit from the mic modeling features of the SLB300. It really sounds much more like a bigger, full-bodied instrument - to my ears, at least.

4. Dutch Williams

Dutch Williams Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2021

the SRT stuff sounds amazing. the mic modeling alone ... im THIS close to pulling the trigger .... agghgghhh...

6. Dutch Williams

Apr 14, 2021
    Just got one and same thing with the action ... lowest setting on bridge adjusters is still too high, like slap level. Argh

johnny_bolt likes this.
  7. vedi

vedi

Sep 16, 2008
    Luxembourg, EU
    do you guys mind me asking about the date of manufacture? mine is Feb 2020, action at the lowest setting was really, really low out of the box: 4mm at G, 6mm at E.

btw., I find arco even more convincing than pizz.

johnny_bolt and Dutch Williams like this.
  8. Dutch Williams

Apr 14, 2021
    where do i find that? all i got is serial 001399

johnny_bolt likes this.
  9. Dutch Williams

Apr 14, 2021
    just for everyone's info in this interview Yamaha's Ken Dattmore says that Yamaha ships these out with higher AND thicker bridges because its "easier to take wood off than put it on" (around minute 26:20 ish) ...
    not sure how i feel about that! the statement sounds like it makes sense, but then the action is too high with the adjuster wheels at their lowest point, and then its time to visit the luthier .... and then dropping more $$ on an already $4,000 EUB .... hmm ...

(that SRT is truly amazing though, i will give them that. AND it's a joy to play both plugged in and not, the feel of that neck is wonderful ... )

johnny_bolt likes this.
  10. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    I just bought one, used, from a TB member. Immediately changed the strings to Evah Pirazzi lights, and like those much better. The string height on mine seems fine, with a little room left in the adjusters. I don't know the manufacturing date, but the previous owner had it for about one year, and bought it new.

Plugged into my AI Ten2/Clarus head it sounds good. I'm using it on a gig tomorrow night and am going to go direct to the board. Kind of anxious to hear the results.

The neck is slightly thicker than my other two uprights, so that will take a little adjustment on my part.

Dutch Williams likes this.
  11. Dutch Williams

Apr 14, 2021
    The neck is definitely THICK. But it feels solid as a briiiick and the smooth finish is soooooo good.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  12. vedi

vedi

Sep 16, 2008
    Luxembourg, EU
    where the endpin goes in... btw, if the serial number is just that, yours is over 350 after mine. (i.e., if it is not another time code of sorts)

13. Dutch Williams

Apr 14, 2021
    Yeah in that video I posted above yamahas ken dattmore literally confirms that the bridges ship too high, so high that luthier work will probably be needed. Go figure. Kenny Davis in that same interview said he took his to a luthier as well for bridge work.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  14. Dutch Williams

Apr 14, 2021
    I’m going to take a wild guess and there’s either
    A. Players who love the high action and feel like it’s “fine”
    B. Players who bought it used or “new” (meaning it was returned) and there was actually luthier adjustments made to the bridge, either knowingly or unknowingly to the current owner
    OR
    C. Yamaha shifted to the “more is more” policy on the amount of “wood” they wanted to include on the bridge sometime later on in the production of these guys (somehow I dont think it’s this one.)

Wasnex likes this.
  15. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Played a gig last night, and the 300 worked really well. A guitarist/singer and me; typical bar setting; classic rock, trad country, and some folky tunes.

Plugged the bass direct to the board. No monitors. Nice full, fat sound, no piezo honk, no feedback. Several comments from audience regulars who have heard me play my regular upright that they could hear me better, and they liked the sound.

I’m very pleased. New neck will take some getting used to. I think the portability and simplicity will enable me to keep playing “out” with fewer problems due to my physical limitations.

16. That’s a great success story.

Nice when the crowd can hear the difference...kind of makes it worthwhile. :bassist:

17. Dutch Williams

Apr 14, 2021
    I want to hate this thing ... but its so fun ... i keep making the oil painting / giclee analogy between my upton and the yamaha ... but man is it so fun to play on!!! just like. awesome. that SRT tech sounds so good too ... the dial-in-ability with the sound ... the no feedback .... the portability ... goes on and on .... definitely best EUB ever by far.

johnny_bolt and J R Knots like this.
  18. Dutch Williams

Apr 14, 2021
    Yamaha SLB300: “The Only EUB That Doesn’t Sound Like Ass.”

Oscarharboe likes this.
  19. Ronny Watson

Ronny Watson

Apr 2, 2016
    I just got my SLB300 today. Until I sell my SLB200, I'll have them both for A/B experiment comparisons. I'm reading through the manual before putting it through the paces tomorrow.

20. Dutch Williams

Apr 14, 2021
    Ronny please update us if you hear ANY noise floor / hiss when the preamp is on ...

johnny_bolt likes this.