Yet another tonewood post

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GodPlayedBass, Jun 7, 2022.

1. Lowend lobster put Rickenbacker pickups in a Harley Benton bass. It did not sound like a ric. So I guess the wood, the scale length and type of materials clearly make a difference

svlilioukalani likes this.
  2. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    One day, the Talkbass collective may finally understand that an instrument’s tone is a mixture of all its characteristics. It’s not about pickups. It’s not about wood. It’s not even about technique. It’s about all of those things and many other factors.

bassbooty, icefly, RSBBass and 38 others like this.
  3. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone

Apr 2, 2019
    I think the HB with Ric pickups sounds more like a classic Ric than his other one with the other brand of pickups.

mcnach and JRA like this.
  4. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    I hope you don't do any engineering comparison work for a living, as here are way too many variables unaccounted for there, let alone how it was recorded and listened to.

legalbass, mcnach, REV and 8 others like this.
  5. No I'm not an engineer and never claimed to be. Even the guy who made this video said it doesn't sound like the rics he owns

TonyP- likes this.
  6. Yes my personal belief is that everything plays a part. Like a jigsaw puzzle. Ever piece is important

Green Hornet, GlennRH and deff like this.
  7. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    If you read the notes, they discovered the pickups were wire out of phase. This is why it sounds so thin dimed. So the "comparision" was kinda screwed from the get go.

8. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Missed my point. You happily jumped to a conclusion you already believed.

Thanks.

legalbass, mcnach, lomo and 1 other person like this.
  9. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Post of the day!

10. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Supporting Member

Jan 13, 2008
    I’m just going to keep sharing this on any tone-wood threads:

11. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Nah... Pretty sure it's just that those pickups are confused; homesick; and very,very PO'd. And, if he leaves them in that Harley Benton too long? They just might be so PO'd, that they won't sound like Rick pickups when he puts them back where they belong, either. And, honestly; I wouldn't blame them a bit...:cool:

12. J Wilson

J Wilson

Apr 22, 2022
    An Undisclosed Location
    none
    They don't sprinkle Ric-O-Dust on Harley B's. That must be it . . . .

13. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Or this one.

ColdEye, Beej, lomo and 4 others like this.
  14. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i can make a contribution:

15. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Yeah, PO'd cos they were wired out of phase.

Mrtoodamnsabre and J_Bass like this.
  16. friedlbug

friedlbug Supporting Member

I wonder if electric guitars got their start in Pennsylvania, if necks would be made out of birch as often as maple and bodies as often out of walnut as alder, ash, or mahogany. Osage orange is a fantastic hard wood. Locus and oak are heavy but very hard. Spruce is cool but pine isn’t, for some reason. Maybe we could get Flea or some other famous bassist to play a fir bass for an album to make it an acceptable tonewood.

EagleMoon likes this.
  17. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    Dusty Hill had a fir bass.
    Dusty Hill fur bass.jpg

Sorry, that was fur.

Leo's wood choices are well documented and they centred on cheap.

ctmullins, Lo-E, gln1955 and 8 others like this.
  18. If you guys don't believe in wood making a difference then WHY comment on the topic. All you gotta do is say tonewood around here and everybody gets upset like 4th graders who hate a pop quiz

Stingray5, GrapeBass and Charlie Tuna like this.
  19. Snert

Snert

Oct 3, 2021
    So, in your world the only people allowed to converse with you are those who agree with you? Right?

You tried to make a point about tonewood when it turns out there was a wiring error that would, and did, have major effects on the audible output of the bass, so it turns out the entire basis for your argument is wrong.

And to further make my point, rather than making your case, you go for the ad hom, this is Godwin level argument.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
    ColdEye, Nashrakh, Dominic D and 3 others like this.
  20. No, j
    No in "my world"
    I don't have to be patronizing and post funny pictures just because I disagree with someones opinion