Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

yoga

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Mar 20, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Is anyone here into yoga? If so, what form, and what benefits (if any) have you experienced?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I used to teach Yoga. I taught (and practiced) a Vinyasa style - pretty challenging, and poses flow from one to the other.

Benefits? I'm stronger, calmer, more flexible. My blood pressure is lower, and I feel more comfortable in my own body. I have better muscle tone, and although I don't need to lose weight, many of my students practiced to help in that area. They were successful.

Hope this helps.

3. ElMon

ElMon Supporting Member

May 30, 2004
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Second that. I've been practicing on and off for about six years with a mix of Vinyasa, Hatha, and Kundalini. I can attest to everything Pacman said, plus I think that the awareness that yoga and meditation cultivates allows me to be a better bass player. In addition to the increase circulation and the strengthening of tendons in my wrists and forearms, yoga has made me more sensitive to improvisation in that I know how to remain aware of what's happening around me without the burden of ego. I'm a big fan of doing a few asanas before practicing upright to focus my mind-body-spirit/inner bassist.
    Pacman, what did you have to do to be able to teach yoga? This has been a dream of mine for some time. Is there a certification process?
    Thanks, and Namaste.

4. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i've been wanting to start yoga. are there any resources online that can help me get started...or is it the type of thing where you need to go to a class to fully experience?

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I practice Iyengar yoga, which focuses on the 5 parts/elements/humors(?) of the body, conciousness towards them and focusing on breathing and extension.

I used to feel really tense and like I was a scrunched up ball. After I started practicing, I, like Pacman, felt calmer and more relaxed. I slept better and I felt much more flexible. When I played intramural soccer last spring, I found there was a noticable difference in by performance between the days that I did practice yoga and the days I didn't.